PDA

View Full Version : s13 ichiba 5lug

mrmaup
03-13-2008, 08:20 PM
feeling lazy today, i called up some service/repair shops and inquired about how much labor hours is it going to take to r&r front and rear hubs for the s13.
4 hours for the front and 2 hours for the rear, minimum.
shit, that's about $400 easy for them.

looks like i'll have to get down and dirty and save $400 for something else.
since there's really no good write ups on "5lug conversion", how long did it take you 5luggers to r&r?

i need tires
03-13-2008, 08:21 PM
in your case since it doesnt seem like you wrench much 4-6 hrs sounds about right, just make sure you have air tools to make it easier

azndoc
03-13-2008, 08:29 PM
It's not hard to do. Just takes some time and sweat on your part.

If you want I'll do the install for you for $399.99

w0nderbr3ad
03-13-2008, 08:37 PM
install was pretty straight forward for the fronts. the rears are a whole different story. i couldn't torque down my hubs for the rear because my wrench wouldn't fit but i tightened em down as much as i could and retightened them after 100mi. All you need is the fsm to look at the diagrams and how the hubs are bolted on and you're set to go.

shade
03-13-2008, 08:46 PM
I thought it was the opposite. The fronts were harder I believe. But then I again I used OEM components. To the OP, might as well save that $400 and plus Ichiba five lugs are not hard to install at all. FSM, FSM, FSM!

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Nissan_240SX_Performance_Modification/4_lug_to_5_lug_conversion

install was pretty straight forward for the fronts. the rears are a whole different story. i couldn't torque down my hubs for the rear because my wrench wouldn't fit but i tightened em down as much as i could and retightened them after 100mi. All you need is the fsm to look at the diagrams and how the hubs are bolted on and you're set to go.

mrmaup
03-13-2008, 08:50 PM
the front looks pretty straight forward, the rears looks a little tricky, but i should manage...399.99 is still to much. i guess it cant be help...how troublesome.

mrmaup
03-13-2008, 08:54 PM
i just hate the fact of removing everything, then washing up to go and have the rotors redrill, then installing the hubs, then wash up again to pick up the rotors, then the onset of the homerun stretch fatigue...how troublesome.
by the way...s13 abs rotors are the same as s14 abs rotors? can somebody confirm...i might just pick up some blanks and sell my cryno powerslots abs

ripracer
03-13-2008, 08:59 PM
didn't read the whole thread, but definitely need a puller for the rear. I think it took me like 2 hrs to do the whole thing on my car.

shade
03-13-2008, 09:04 PM
257x22 for S13s with ABS, I don't know about the S14.

i just hate the fact of removing everything, then washing up to go and have the rotors redrill, then installing the hubs, then wash up again to pick up the rotors, then the onset of the homerun stretch fatigue...how troublesome.
by the way...s13 abs rotors are the same as s14 abs rotors? can somebody confirm...i might just pick up some blanks and sell my cryno powerslots abs

projectRDM
03-13-2008, 09:36 PM
I call BS on not finding any writeups. There's literally dozens of them now, all very informative. But odds are if you feel confident doing it yourself, you don't need any reading. A hub swap is the most self explanatory upgrade ever. Take one off, put the other one back on. If you can change your shoes, you can swap hubs. All you need to know is have the right tools on hand.

mrmaup
03-13-2008, 09:37 PM
that's where it looks tricky...having to use a puller for the ball joint; although it also seems i can just unbolt the lower arm from the frame via 2bolts...interesting

projectRDM
03-13-2008, 09:40 PM
One bolt to the crossmember, two the tension rod. One on the endlink. Or, pop the ball joint loose, using a puller. Either way it's a minute's worth of work.

mrmaup
03-13-2008, 09:42 PM
yeah, i kind of figure that the r&r would be cake when there's not much to write about...tools? hand tools and an impact should be plenty...but time is not

I call BS on not finding any writeups. There's literally dozens of them now, all very informative. But odds are if you feel confident doing it yourself, you don't need any reading. A hub swap is the most self explanatory upgrade ever. Take one off, put the other one back on. If you can change your shoes, you can swap hubs. All you need to know is have the right tools on hand.

mrmaup
03-13-2008, 09:51 PM
well after reading a very detailed online write-up for a clutch install, i'm spoiled for the likes...u guys must dislikes noobs like me...6th sense.

mrmaup
03-13-2008, 09:55 PM
actually every service and upgrade on my car so far has been wrench by me, not to mention i also wrench services on cars for a living...it feels great when i dont have to wrench sometimes

in your case since it doesnt seem like you wrench much 4-6 hrs sounds about right, just make sure you have air tools to make it easier

Sonic Motor
03-13-2008, 10:01 PM
R1 motors in alhambra $180 for labor tell him jackson sent ya
google it

mrmaup
03-13-2008, 10:03 PM
now that's more reasonable...$180 for time with the gf w/clean nails!
thanks