PDA

View Full Version : intercooler question

stil bil
10-30-2002, 08:23 PM
hey do you guys think that a supra side mount will work well with my t3 setup???

also for piping

did the S14 Silvias have a sidemount intercooler?? if so where was it mounted(yeah side i know)

if all is true do you think that the silvia piping and a supra side mound will work good, because sleeper look is nice, and i wont have the 700-800 to spend on the fmic at the time i get it all put on...

thanks guys

240racer
10-30-2002, 08:34 PM
the MKIV intercooler is nice.  The MKIII intercooler is crap, just wanted to clear that up, since I didn't know which one you were talking about
My friend made custom tanks to put a MKIV side mount where the stock side mount is on 2g DSM.  it worked pretty well, I saw it in person a couple weeks ago.  It's a nice intercooler, but I don't think you will be able to use the stock tanks, it's a custom fitment issue.  You could try a DSM sidemount, it's better then nothing and you can pick them up on ebay for $50-$100 or so.  The should work okay.  The difference is they are mounted on te passenger side, instead of the drivers, but shouldn't be much of a big deal.

Jeff240sx
10-30-2002, 10:07 PM
Yea... MK III intercoolers are big, heaping, steaming piles of horse shit.  They are 60% efficient at 60mph (80% is bad, like 1g eclipse ICs, and new spearco are 98-99%), and worst of all, they have a 3psi pressure drop across the IC at ONLY 7PSI!  Spearco cores have a .3psi drop at a much higher psi.  
MKIII = Shit.
-Jeff

stil bil
10-31-2002, 09:15 AM
thanks guys, so jeff do you think it would work well with the T3 on the KA?? (either ic 1gdsm or mkiv supra)

also what about the sr piping would i be able to use it?

240racer
10-31-2002, 02:17 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">do you think it would work well with the T3 on the KA?? </td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>

this isn't really the question you want to be asking. &nbsp;No intercooler (just intake piping) can work fine with any turbo and any engine. &nbsp;It's not a compatability issue. &nbsp;It's a performace and effieciency issue. &nbsp;A larger intercooler is almost always better. &nbsp;However, if it's too big then you loose throttle response. &nbsp;Either way and reasonable sized intercooler should work fine in any configuration you will see in a 240. &nbsp;

you should be able to use most of the sr pipes, but the intercooler interface will probably have to be custom

stil bil
10-31-2002, 06:19 PM
alright, thanks for clearing that up 240racer!!