PDA

View Full Version : Stock SR20DET turbo install

chixwithtrix
03-12-2008, 02:56 PM
So my friend bought an SR20det powered S13, but the previous owner did not have enough $ to buy exhaust and intercooler to install the stock turbo so it is currently NA.

My friend wants to install the turbo himself to save $$, which pretty much means that we all get to sit there scratching our heads when something goes wrong. So...what I'd like to know is any pointers, how to's, diagrams, recipes, etc that could help install the setup. We already bought an exhaust and an Ebay FMIC kit.

Since its not my car I'm not familiar with it or what cooling and oil lines, fittings to the turbo the previous owner had. If we do need lines/fittings, are any available locally from an Auto parts store or or do we have to order them?

here are some pics of what he has on the turbo...what do we need to get the stock turbo setup on it?

Edit: sorry, for some reason the pics didn't upload
http://www.houston240sx.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5225&d=1205344657

http://www.houston240sx.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5226&d=1205344663

http://www.houston240sx.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5227&d=1205344669

duffman1278
03-12-2008, 03:01 PM
I don't see any pics, and also, lots of this information your requesting is FAQ.

Beebo
03-12-2008, 03:05 PM
yah the pics dont work. everything should be pretty self explanatory, just bolt it all up. make sure the gaskets are good, and you have a vaccuum/boost line going to the wastegate actuator.
see if you can find a factory service manual for the sr20.
where in texas are yah from? just curious. im in plano.

chixwithtrix
03-12-2008, 03:14 PM
I know, I apologize for another "help with turbo setup" kind of thread...I searched through a few forums and posts, but most of them were of people who were familiar with their setup.

Since my 240 is a stock KA I'm not familiar with what fittings and hoses are needed for the stock SR20det and whether the previous idiot owner included them, thats why I included the pictures to see if you guys could see if all of the parts where there to install or not. If all of the parts are there it hopefully will be pretty straight forward.

I'm in Austin...if you drift you should come out to the Mineral Wells drift events that are held every month. You should be a lot closer than I am to there being north of Dallas. They're pretty laid back and cheap @ $40

Sileighty_85
03-12-2008, 03:55 PM
So hes been rockin a DET as a DE? well first off ditch the stock coolant and water hardlines and get some Circuit Sport SS Lines from EnjukuRacing.com for like 120 bucks, every one will say get Taka Line but them shits are expensive, Im using Curcuit Sport Lines on mine and I've never had a problem, as far as finding out where the line go, once you crack open the capped off ports for oil and water it will be obvious, the water feed line will be on the back if the head, Its a small skinny tube line, If I remember right the oil feed is the bottom of the block and the coolant is right above it

clark
03-12-2008, 04:56 PM
So hes been rockin a DET as a DE? well first off ditch the stock coolant and water hardlines and get some Circuit Sport SS Lines from EnjukuRacing.com for like 120 bucks, every one will say get Taka Line but them shits are expensive, Im using Curcuit Sport Lines on mine and I've never had a problem, as far as finding out where the line go, once you crack open the capped off ports for oil and water it will be obvious, the water feed line will be on the back if the head, Its a small skinny tube line, If I remember right the oil feed is the bottom of the block and the coolant is right above it

hands down get the CS stainless lines, they will make your life easier. and hey, while you have the turbo out, check for in/out and side/side shaft play.

handinpants
03-12-2008, 05:01 PM
driftcar.net has some factory service manuals available for the public, i though that they were helpfull a little...

GabeS14
03-12-2008, 05:07 PM
so the car runs fine without the turbo?
i thought it would run funny ..and need a different ecu or tune???no???

Sileighty_85
03-12-2008, 05:23 PM
so the car runs fine without the turbo?
i thought it would run funny ..and need a different ecu or tune???no???

One of my buddies crunched his Side Mount on his 180SX in an accident, and we duct taped his MAF to his TB, drove fine except for comming to stops, then it would die due to the IACV not pulling through the MAF lol

I got pics of it at home lol

chixwithtrix
03-12-2008, 05:41 PM
yeah, its a det without the turbo...it runs fucking rich, has a ghetto ass exhaust that leaks and has absolutely no power, but runs the stock turbo map. My KA beats it with a stick w/o the turbo

As far as the lines, so from the photos does it look like it has all of the stock lines needed to put it back on? I'd go for the SS lines, but I'm not sure if my buddy who owns the car will...

Sileighty_85
03-12-2008, 05:45 PM
yeah, its a det without the turbo...it runs fucking rich, has a ghetto ass exhaust that leaks and has absolutely no power, but runs the stock turbo map. My KA beats it with a stick w/o the turbo

As far as the lines, so from the photos does it look like it has all of the stock lines needed to put it back on? I'd go for the SS lines, but I'm not sure if my buddy who owns the car will...

No surpirse there lol

yeah its got all the lines but for install, unless yall are very carful there is a high chance you will strip the threads in the Block when installing the Banjo Bolts for the oil and coolant, The Block is Aluminum So it dosnt take much to strip the threads
So tell ur buddy to save him self from pullin the engine and a HUGE Head ache and get the SS Lines

chixwithtrix
03-12-2008, 08:50 PM
In the first photo, where does that line go on the engine?
http://www.houston240sx.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5229&d=1205376574

In the second photo, isn't that supposed to be part of a banjo fitting with a hole in it..? That is a solid bolt and I if it needs to be for a banjo I need to know the size and thread

http://www.houston240sx.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5230&d=1205376585

Sileighty_85
03-12-2008, 08:57 PM
first pic is the coolant feed hose its inbetween the back of the head and the fire wall, look for a rubber hose pluged with a bolt in it,

Second pic is the coolant drain for the block leave it in there

that bolt with the #8 stamped on it is the oil feed for the turbo I believe

chixwithtrix
03-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Cool

yeah, you were right about the #8 bolt being the oil feed...only problem is they replaced it with a solid bolt instead of the banjo. So what thread and size would I need for that?

chixwithtrix
03-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Alright, I found the bolt size and had to order one from a local BMW dealer since we found the part # from them. For anyone who may need to know this it is a 12mm 1.5 pitch banjo bolt.

Anyway, hopefully last question - where does this hook up/go to?

http://www.houston240sx.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5233&stc=1&d=1205537792

Sileighty_85
03-14-2008, 05:43 PM
sorry I could have told you I "Think" its the same as the 300ZX,

But thats the Waste Gate Actuator you run it to a vacuume source on the cold pipe, but you need a boost contoller in between the W/G and the cold pie or it will run less than stock boost, I think its 7psi?

duffman1278
03-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Its not the cold pipe you need to run it too, its the hotpipe. Your boost controller goes between the hotpipe and the waste gate. If you have no boost controller just connect it straight through.

Sileighty_85
03-14-2008, 06:47 PM
OEM configuration is the cold pipe, theres a nipple right after the Side mount.
But yeah if no B/C just connect it straight from a vacuume source

I got mine running off of the throttle body, no problems
make sure you ziptie the vacuume hose on or they'll pop off and you'll blow the turbo

chixwithtrix
03-14-2008, 07:15 PM
He has no boost controller, so if I have this right...we just find a vac line, clip it, run a T from it to the WG and we're good?

Sileighty_85
03-14-2008, 07:22 PM
correct, dont forget the zip ties :P