PDA

View Full Version : Clutch slips when warm......

Alias
10-31-2002, 08:07 AM
When I first start my car I let it idle for 30seconds. Then when I leave the clutch grabs quick and holds good. After the car is warmed up though it slips like a mofo. I replaced my leaky slave cylinder a few months ago. I replaced my leaky master cylinder last weekend.

I think I know whats happening. The fluid heats up and expands, pushing the clutch. Not letting it fully engage. SO its like I have my foot on the peddle all the time. I did my master cylinder when it was about 60F now its 30F. The MC and peddle are adjusted to have as little travel as possible, and sit as close to the floor as possible. After it warms up the peddle is easyer to move, and doesn't go down as far. Yet the clutch disengages fine. If I move the peddle stoppers and peddle up will it help at all? What kind of brake fluid can I use that won't eat my lines up?

piratepete420
10-31-2002, 02:02 PM
I had the same problem.  You have some air in the lines.  It's the air that expands when the car gets hot.  Just bleed the hell out of the slave cylinder and that damper box.

Alias
10-31-2002, 04:43 PM
I will try that. That makes more sense. DOT 3 fluid doesn't start expanding until 600F or so right?

piratepete420
10-31-2002, 10:05 PM
Fluids expand very little with heat.  Gasses expand a lot though. PV=nRT.  Remove that green damper box too while you're at it, it makes it a lot harder to bleed the clutch.