PDA

View Full Version : what BOV goes here?

tuketo
03-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Where can I find a BOV that goes on here, I found many other ones but they all connect on the hotpipe right after the turbo, which makes them visable. I would like to have it hidden in the wheel well.
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p6/Hashiriya415/hotpipe.jpg

clark
03-11-2008, 02:24 PM
you can really put any BOV you want there. if you take that cap off, it's probably just a regular pipe with a rounded edge to prevent the coupler from slipping off. most BOVs out there have their own fancy flanges. you can pick up flange adapters easily. for example:

this is a greddy flange adapter:
http://www.frsport.com/images/detailed_images/Greddy_11900451_5.jpg

blitz

http://www.frsport.com/images/detailed_images/Blitz_ZZ3002_3.jpg
you get the idea. you can get any one you want tho, turboxs makes BOVs that you can couple right up to a pipe and don't even use a flange.

you can even go pick up an Audi TT diverter valve which doesn't have flanges, but you can use couplers/reducers to get it to fit to that nipple. i did this temporarily. they are decent quality too beacuse they're made by bosch. they just don't sound super awesome. i personally don't even use a BOV anylonger.

SR20d2fourT
03-11-2008, 02:24 PM
I had my blitz BOV on my stock SMIC. It was hidden, obviously. It didn't have a fitment for it so I just cut a rubber hose, cut a bit and tightened it to it with some coupler rings. I'm assuming you might be able to do the same w/ whatever you choose. If not, just get a shop to weld you a BOV flange of your choice and you're done :}

g6civcx
03-11-2008, 02:50 PM
That sounds like a good idea, until you see how dirty stock SMIC-mounted CBVs come out after years of use.

I suggest you place the BOV in the engine bay for cleanliness.

SR20d2fourT
03-11-2008, 02:55 PM
That sounds like a good idea, until you see how dirty stock SMIC-mounted CBVs come out after years of use.

I suggest you place the BOV in the engine bay for cleanliness.

hahaa, yeah, was pretty dirty.

I'm hardcore though. no. not really.

!Zar!
03-11-2008, 05:02 PM
This bitch isn't for show.

All about function baby.

((sr)) kelly
03-11-2008, 05:08 PM
a stock sr bov will work fine...

or a prof sheepdog... i used to own one and i LOVED IT!

njd07
03-11-2008, 05:09 PM
any blow off valve...you just need the matching flange wedling onto the end of that pipe.

((sr)) kelly
03-11-2008, 05:10 PM
with a prof or oem sr20 bov you wont even need a flange

lostmenoggin
03-11-2008, 05:16 PM
How well do the OEM ones work? At what pressure do they begin to open? I have one laying around that I've been thinking about using..

sick_lazy_gray-s13
03-11-2008, 05:16 PM
I would also recommend using a BLITZ, it's by far the most quiet too... If you looking to to get any attention.. seems like it since you want to hide your BOV.

((sr)) kelly
03-11-2008, 05:19 PM
i have a stock sr20 bov ill sell you for 20 bucks shipped.. let me know...

mine held 15 psi FINE.. im sure it can do better

Sr20det>Ka24de
03-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Does anyone know if you need to run a bov or diverter valve? Can I just do without them, my hotpipe has no flanges. Does anyone have an sr that they run without a diverter or bov? And how does it react? Is this bad, I heard the back pressure on the compressor will cause the turbo to lag more between shifts, will it hurt the turbo, any info would be great!

g6civcx
03-12-2008, 05:46 PM
How well do the OEM ones work?

Well enough for the factory.

At what pressure do they begin to open?

BOV/CBV do not work like a wastegate. They don't open at any particular pressure. Wastegates open at X PSI to prevent overboosting.

BOV/CBV works off differential pressure between the intake manifold and the charge pipe to prevent charged air from hitting a closed throttle plate. A properly working valve should not open at any PSI if you're boosting with the throttle open (i.e. no boost leak).

Does anyone know if you need to run a bov or diverter valve?

What is a diverter valve? For OEM ECU and MAFS you need to recirculate.

Can I just do without them, my hotpipe has no flanges.

The car will run, but you will get compressor surge.

Does anyone have an sr that they run without a diverter or bov? And how does it react? Is this bad, I heard the back pressure on the compressor will cause the turbo to lag more between shifts, will it hurt the turbo, any info would be great!

The backpressure may actually bend the turbine blades. You can try running without a valve if you want. Some people think this reduces off throttle lag, but I don't recommend it.

If you don't know what you're doing, run a stock setup and forget about it. Or at least get someone who knows what the're doing to help you.

Sr20det>Ka24de
03-12-2008, 06:07 PM
diverter valve recirculation valve same thing depends on what manufacturer says it is - I am gonna run a diverter valve, it will be an easy install, as i am using a stock intake tube that will have an inlet for recirculated boost i just need to find a flange to weld to the hotpipe
thanks for your info

burnsauto
03-12-2008, 06:08 PM
wow...get some welding skills. or buck up and pay some guy 50 bucks to weld on a flange for you. this isn't rocket science fellas, lol.

non-vented/recirculated boost pressure will never bend a COMPRESSOR* wheel. that would require tremendous force which the turbo would not be creating off throttle. Lots of ppl on here have run no bov for a year or two, some even on beaten track cars, and most of their turbo's still operate. Granted they may not be in the best shape, but they still work. I wouldn't suggest this method though, it shortens the life of the turbo drastically. Where as a normal turbo setup with a bov running stock boost could last around 25k miles, one with no bov could run maybe half of that, or even a quarter of that maybe. It all depends on how hard you drive it, and how many lbs of boost you run.

As for that flange that greddy puts on the lower hot pipe, i adapted that to run my w/g signal off of, so far its worked pretty well. If you'd like to put the bov in that spot, cut that flange off and weld on a new one. If you weld a flange ontop of that one, its a little haggard looking, and would make the bov sit too close to the wheel (it wouldn t hit...but you never know, and would like to cover all your bases.)

g6civcx
03-12-2008, 07:52 PM
non-vented/recirculated boost pressure will never bend a COMPRESSOR* wheel

If you're running high boost with regular and violent compressor surge, damage to the compressor blade can happen. Never say never

burnsauto
03-12-2008, 08:22 PM
If you're running high boost with regular and violent compressor surge, damage to the compressor blade can happen. Never say never

For that 0.1% chance of that even happen, you'd have to be running 40-50+ psi. So right off the bat...won't happen. If you're running that much boost to gain power, you're doing it the wrong way.

Compressor surge will attack the bearings/bushings, causing the main shaft to have too much play, and let the turbine/compressor wheels to hit the casing, causing wear on the wheels, and eventually..not creating ample boost anymore. (whatever that may be)

Along with poor boost response/any pressure differences, oil would be leaking past the seals, due to the bearing/bushing failure. The amount of smoke once that seal is broken is pretty significant, and can't be ignored easily. By then.. you'd realize something was wrong.

and if those things didn't clue the driver in that the turbo was bad..the whining may give it away.

So basically...its impossible to bend the compressor wheel fins. Other things go wrong first, stopping the turbo's ability to even create enough boost in the first place to do such a thing.

I've blown them up, I've rebuilt them.
:kiss:

Boosted240Guy
03-13-2008, 11:59 AM
I had the exact same thing going on with me I wanted to keep my BOV kind of hidden.....I went with a Saard R2D2 Blow off valve like $180 and I got it on there with a cupling which isn't the best way to do it but I haven't had a single problem with it....no leaking nothing...its hiddin right inside my drivers side wheel well....if you do put a BOV there make sure its facing up, it's gonna get dirty no matter what but if it's up it will save all the road grime and small rocks from shooting up into the valve

Boosted240Guy
03-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Although like Sick lazy gray said if you want it to be a quieter BOV than go with blitz don't go with the R2D2 by Saard because it's loud as hell...I like mine though it's really low pitched and agressive not all high pitched like some of the greddy and hks valves. I can't stand the high pitch squeak!