PDA

View Full Version : 300ZX Rear hubs: NA vs Turbo

hotlavaflow
03-05-2008, 08:27 AM
YES I SEARCHED!!!

How can you tell the difference between NA or Turbo 300ZX rear hubs? I understand the turbo rear hubs don't fit for the S conversion. I am buying a set but I need to make sure they are right, the seller doesn't know if they are na or turbo hubs.

projectRDM
03-05-2008, 08:31 AM
The TT has a much larger spline. If you've never seen either one you can't exactly tell, maybe someone has an S13/S14 or NA hub off a car they can measure for you. I do but they're 40 miles away. If you have your car close by, pull the rear wheel off and measure the axle shaft's diameter, there isn't a cap or anything over the hub so it's easy to see. If the new hub is significantly larger, it's a TT.

hotlavaflow
03-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the quick response.

SILVIA_KIDs14.5
03-05-2008, 08:46 AM
the na hubs only fit on the s chassis was looking in to the same thing i talked to someone from Zr1 motorsports thats what they told me

240love
03-05-2008, 08:59 AM
if you can fit 2 fingers in the spindle they are turbo hubs..if you cant they are NA

UNISA JECS
03-05-2008, 09:01 AM
If you pay plose attention to the outter most ring you'll see the that the Z32 TT is much skinner than that of the Z32 NA and you can also tell that way will atleast I can but I have neither of these hubs below because they all been sold.

Z32 NA:
Tabs
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u159/zilvia_album/SOLD%20STUFF/PictureorVideo135.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u159/zilvia_album/SOLD%20STUFF/PictureorVideo135.jpg

Non-Tabs
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u159/zilvia_album/SOLD%20STUFF/PictureorVideo010.jpg

Z32 TT:
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u159/zilvia_album/P1170004.jpg

UNISA JECS
03-05-2008, 09:01 AM
if you can fit 2 fingers in the spindle they are turbo hubs..if you cant they are NA

lol not everyone has the same size fingers.

projectRDM
03-05-2008, 09:53 AM
the na hubs only fit on the s chassis was looking in to the same thing i talked to someone from Zr1 motorsports thats what they told me

We know this. No one asked if they fit. Please don't post if you're not going to be useful.

98s14inaz
03-05-2008, 10:11 AM
...If you have your car close by, pull the rear wheel off and measure the axle shaft's diameter, there isn't a cap or anything over the hub so it's easy to see. If the new hub is significantly larger, it's a TT.

I second this idea assuming the seller can operate a tape measure.

s13pignose
03-05-2008, 10:41 AM
I'm glad someone else asked this question..I still have z32 hubs I bought for my car assuming all 4 would fit only to find out only the rears will fit, if they're tt versions. Soon as I figure that out, I'm gonna put em up for sale proably. Never went 5 lug, cause I found 4 lug wheels

projectRDM
03-05-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm glad someone else asked this question..I still have z32 hubs I bought for my car assuming all 4 would fit only to find out only the rears will fit, if they're tt versions. Soon as I figure that out, I'm gonna put em up for sale proably. Never went 5 lug, cause I found 4 lug wheels

If they're not TT versions.

And you should never have assumed the fronts would work knowing good and well they don't. It still amazes me that nearly 20 years later people still think that shit.

SoguRacing
03-05-2008, 01:11 PM
so if you cut off the tabs then the TT hubs will fit right? the axle spine will be different correct?

projectRDM
03-05-2008, 02:19 PM
so if you cut off the tabs then the TT hubs will fit right? the axle spine will be different correct?

*sigh* Again, nearly twenty years later, people still do not understand a fucking thing they read.

The TT hubs do not work because the axle spline is larger. Period. The tab has nothing to do with it, and in some cases, when using Z32 dust shields, comes in handy. Even if you're not using the dust shields, the tab does nothing, affects nothing.
Still confused? Slide your axle into a TT hub. What happens? It flops around like your penis does in a young girl. The only way to use a TT hub is to use the matching axle as well, which would need to be shortened by just over an inch on each side (more for an S13). Then you'd have to use an early model J30 diff unless you swapped the output shaft flanges over to the more common 6bolt. Why would you have to use the axle as well? It's a larger diameter.

Cliffnotes, so when some other fool searches (gasp) they'll find this.

Z32 twin turbo rear hubs do not work, period.
Z32 front hubs of any model do not work, period.

SoguRacing
03-05-2008, 03:21 PM
A definite "yes" would have been nice because if i recall I put a question mark at the end of my sentence...stating that it was a QUESTION? read it again and again mr. know it all.

projectRDM
03-05-2008, 03:30 PM
A definite "yes" would have been nice because if i recall I put a question mark at the end of my sentence...stating that it was a QUESTION? read it again and again mr. know it all.

You asked a question, two actually, then followed both of them with 'right' and 'correct', so technically you were looking for reassurance on the answer you thought you already had.

"it's cold outside, right?" Means 'hey, I know it's cold outside, but can you verify that?', your questions confirmed to us that you already thought they would indeed work and just wanted to hear it again, when in actuality they do NOT work. Learn common grammar skills next time kid.

240love
03-05-2008, 04:09 PM
lol not everyone has the same size fingers.

hahaha true...well for regular sized fingers?? lol

DALAZ_68
03-05-2008, 04:20 PM
this thread just answered my question about my Z32 hubs that i pulled and came with tabs...

thanks again for the clear info :bigok:

s13pignose
03-05-2008, 10:07 PM
If they're not TT versions.

And you should never have assumed the fronts would work knowing good and well they don't. It still amazes me that nearly 20 years later people still think that shit.

It was basically a split second ebay purchase... I mean the fronts came with it...wasn't like I bought the fronts and rears seperate. Also I bought em based on someone elses word they would work...all 4. Auction was close to ending so I had no time to do research, I literally had like a min.

bo2o
03-05-2008, 10:17 PM
well you can ask him if he has the axles from a s13 and try to stick tem in.

the finger thing sounds funnie. thats like saying if your dick can fit then its good. haha

fliprayzin240sx
03-06-2008, 12:05 AM
Thats how my roomie got dicked over. They sold him TT hubs and he didnt know the difference. It was too late when he came home and showed them to me.

hotlavaflow
03-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Got them today. Two fingers don't fit (neither does my dick lol) so I guess they're NA hubs. Nah I measured, bearings are good so I'll be rocking 5 lug in the back and 4 lug up front for a while.

Before anyone asks it's because I got a good deal on some FN's but I have a pair of 17x10+12 5x114.5 and a pair of 17x9+20 4x114.5. Maybe later I'll swap out the front to 5 lug but it's expensive for quality front hubs for the S13. For some reason I just don't trust the Ebay China hubs for $140 shipped:loco:

240love
03-06-2008, 04:10 PM
hahaha...i was telling my friend i was gonna do that...no one would notice lol but went 5 lug anyway

fliprayzin240sx
03-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Get some brand spanking new front hubs/bearings from the dealer. S14s are roughly $160 brand new. I had to replace my bearings 3 yrs ago and thats how much the whole assembly costed. It even came with studs if iirc....

Kouki
03-06-2008, 04:15 PM
LOLOLOLOLOLOL :keke: So when you got them you actually tried to stick your cock in the hubs??? :keke: Talk about lovin' your car :bigok:

turbocarslut
05-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Not once did someone get a spline count in here.

For once...I would like to search and find something useful.

SoguRacing
05-21-2008, 12:24 AM
take this from projectRDM -
"Slide your axle into a TT hub. What happens? It flops around like your penis does in a young girl."

thanks for neg repping me turbocarslut. took off 5 rep power. you fuck!

SoguRacing
05-21-2008, 12:27 AM
learn to read turobcarslut. the shafts are a different size. they wont work. thanks for neg repping me you fuck "turbocarslut" mods please give me my rep back.

98s14inaz
05-21-2008, 07:57 AM

Don't cut anything. If you use the NA NON-TURBO Z32 rear hubs they will bolt right up, I know, I did it on my s14. The tab even lines up with a hole on the s14 knuckle just like on the z32 knuckle (incase you are planning on doing z32 rear brakes) I removed the dust shields since I had the hubs off the car anyway just to simplify things later on if I put bigger brakes on.

turbocarslut
05-21-2008, 08:12 AM
take this from projectRDM -
"Slide your axle into a TT hub. What happens? It flops around like your penis does in a young girl."

thanks for neg repping me turbocarslut. took off 5 rep power. you fuck!

I dont know what whore of a sister you have but young girls are usually tight. Your mother's decrepid hole might be the analogy you are looking for.

Again..I am asking for a spline count. I do not want to start disassembling my rear axle only to find out that I have the wrong hub. It is that simple...if we had a spline count sticky then every ahole (myself included) would never have to question this again....but I guess its easier to be an ASS and do things the hard way just like you.

Unisa Jecs post was very informative and by the looks of it my hubs look NA and not TT, but if spline count is the definitive key then we should post a count.

ProjectRDM was also informative in saying that the tab came on hubs of both TT and NA models. Now we know not to automatically discard the hub due to the tab.

The two finger idea should be a good guesstimate but it isn't definitive as everyone is a different person. Some people are hefty and have big fingers others may have skinny fingers.

fbiphil
05-21-2008, 08:25 AM
LOLOLOLOLOLOL :keke: So when you got them you actually tried to stick your cock in the hubs??? :keke: Talk about lovin' your car :bigok:

I'm picturing going out to this guy's place to check out some hubs....

"Well, they LOOK right, but there's only one way for me to know for sure..."

ZZZZZZZIIIIIIPPPPPP!

If I was the seller, I'd run!

WilloW
05-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Again..I am asking for a spline count.

Years ago when I was doing my 5 lugs swap, I counted 29 splines on the Z32 NA rear hub. It would be real shitty for you if the TT rear also has 29 FATTER splines.

turbocarslut
05-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Years ago when I was doing my 5 lugs swap, I counted 29 splines on the Z32 NA rear hub. It would be real shitty for you if the TT rear also has 29 FATTER splines.

Lol!

I will count mine tonight and see the deal.

THanks for the count.

timster
05-21-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm picturing going out to this guy's place to check out some hubs....

"Well, they LOOK right, but there's only one way for me to know for sure..."

ZZZZZZZIIIIIIPPPPPP!

If I was the seller, I'd run!

+1 for free hubs.

projectRDM
05-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Unisa Jecs post was very informative and by the looks of it my hubs look NA and not TT, but if spline count is the definitive key then we should post a count.

ProjectRDM was also informative in saying that the tab came on hubs of both TT and NA models. Now we know not to automatically discard the hub due to the tab.

The two finger idea should be a good guesstimate but it isn't definitive as everyone is a different person. Some people are hefty and have big fingers others may have skinny fingers.

If you have the hub, just compare it to the pics in this thread. The rear side outer race is a way more thin on the TT hub, it's very easy to tell with it in your hand.

turbocarslut
05-21-2008, 04:15 PM
If you have the hub, just compare it to the pics in this thread. The rear side outer race is a way more thin on the TT hub, it's very easy to tell with it in your hand.

Got it. I think I didnt get gipped. I have a fat race.
I just need to swap kingpins with someone.

GT240R
05-21-2008, 05:31 PM
*sigh* Again, nearly twenty years later, people still do not understand a fucking thing they read.

The TT hubs do not work because the axle spline is larger. Period. The tab has nothing to do with it, and in some cases, when using Z32 dust shields, comes in handy. Even if you're not using the dust shields, the tab does nothing, affects nothing.
Still confused? Slide your axle into a TT hub. What happens? It flops around like your penis does in a young girl. The only way to use a TT hub is to use the matching axle as well, which would need to be shortened by just over an inch on each side (more for an S13). Then you'd have to use an early model J30 diff unless you swapped the output shaft flanges over to the more common 6bolt. Why would you have to use the axle as well? It's a larger diameter.

Cliffnotes, so when some other fool searches (gasp) they'll find this.

Z32 twin turbo rear hubs do not work, period.
Z32 front hubs of any model do not work, period.

Just like these won't work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-300zx-Rear-Hubs-OEM-240sx_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33728QQihZ013QQit emZ230254655721QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

FRpilot
05-21-2008, 05:39 PM
haha i feel sorry for the guy who buys those w/o doing his reserach to find out they dont work.

then he will negative feedback the seller for posting bullshit on his post that they work for 240sx.

turbocarslut
05-21-2008, 07:56 PM

Sweet..I just counted 29 on my hub.

So:
1. 29 splines
2. Fat Race
3. Finger test (just to nudge it over the edge)

I have succesfully confirmed that my hubs are NA tabbed hubs. I now have the wrong kingpin with my ebrake setup. Pics below for anyone that might have the "skinny" king pin. I measured mine and showed it below..I have an 11/16 of an inch thick king pin....so I am assuming the "skinny" one should be roughly 3/16 of an inch thick.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/meche.ralph/SDTQI4E0ZMI/AAAAAAAAAs0/juAqJbC2frg/s400/z32%20hubs%20007.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/meche.ralph/SDTQJ4E0ZNI/AAAAAAAAAs8/X4cZ37eGm9o/s400/z32%20hubs%20008.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/meche.ralph/SDTQL4E0ZOI/AAAAAAAAAtE/EaF42EIgXOs/s400/z32%20hubs%20003.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/meche.ralph/SDTQPIE0ZPI/AAAAAAAAAtM/pUS5Z7wC6x4/s400/z32%20hubs%20004.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/meche.ralph/SDTQroE0ZQI/AAAAAAAAAtU/NrD0SrykfY0/s400/z32%20hubs%20006.jpg

I appreciate all the help.

DALAZ_68
05-21-2008, 08:08 PM
quick question...for the tabbed hubs...whats the rear big nut size....22 or a 27mm...i always forget....i saved this to my favorites...

projectRDM
05-21-2008, 09:14 PM
quick question...for the tabbed hubs...whats the rear big nut size....22 or a 27mm...i always forget....i saved this to my favorites...

27mm. It's the nut on the back of the kingpin and that's for all models, having the tab or NA/TT doesn't make a difference.

DALAZ_68
05-21-2008, 09:18 PM
27mm. It's the nut on the back of the kingpin and that's for all models, having the tab or NA/TT doesn't make a difference.
i9 thought so....fuck and i went to all local shops and nothin...not one 27mm...:confused:

turbocarslut
05-22-2008, 05:49 AM
i9 thought so....fuck and i went to all local shops and nothin...not one 27mm...:confused:

looks like $5 at the dealer..

http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasite/44000b-nut-300zx-z32-1990-1996-p-41085.html

Spiffy240
05-25-2009, 10:50 PM
i have a question regarding the tabs

So do the tabs really do anything/or effect anything against performance or a secure connection to the car? Does it make any difference if they have tabs or not?

Howard92884
05-25-2009, 11:00 PM

So do the tabs really do anything/or effect anything against performance or a secure connection to the car? Does it make any difference if they have tabs or not?

Learn to read, and quit bumping year old threads.

projectRDM
05-25-2009, 11:02 PM

Nice bump.

It makes a lot of difference if you don't have the correct kingpin. Search more, you'll understand the differences.

ThatGuy
05-26-2009, 05:35 AM
Old Bump = :lockd: