PDA

View Full Version : What's the problem?

Wes13240
10-28-2002, 02:25 PM
Yesterday, I noticed a BIG problem with my 1992 240SX.  While the car is turned off, the shifter will go into gear.  However, once the car has been started, the shifter will not go into gear with the clutch in.  If I was to start my car with the clutch in and the shifter in 1st gear, it would begin to drive.  The feel of the clutch pedal is fairly the same as it was before this problem occured.  Can anyone help me to diagnose this problem?  I would really appreciate it...

240Driver39
10-28-2002, 03:04 PM
Well, i had a similiar situation as u, this is the info i used and my car didnt have a problem afterwards

"If your actual clutch is going bad it will actually slip when you are flooring it at high RPMs. So if your in 3rd gear on the highway and just floor it you will see your RPM's jump but your car will hardly go anywhere, and when it does this and you let off the throttle you will feel the clutch catch and kind of jerk you as the clutch starts to catch at the lower rpm's.

Now if you having trouble getting into gear it is more then likely your Master or Slave Clutch Cylinders. If there is a problem with these units then you will have trouble getting into gear and if they go bad you wont be able to get in gear while the car is on. You can test to see if the Master Clutch Cylinder is working by adding fluid to it (it will be located in the top right corner of your engine bay) open it up and see where the fluid level is. If its low or your having problems getting into gear when its cold or whenever then do the following.

Turn off your engine and add fluid if needed to the Master Cylinder. Keep the lid off of the Cylinder and go inside the car and pump the clutch as much as you can for some time. Its best if you can have someone help you with this to see if the Cylinder creates any bubbles. If it bubbles then there are some air pockets in your system. So if it bubbles or takes any fluid then refill it until it and keep pumping until is doesn't bubble or until it cant take any additional fluids. If this helps then your lucky, otherwise you may want to expect your Master or Slave Clutch Cylinder to fail in the future. But this problem has nothing to do really with a worn out clutch."

this is straight from the archives

i did the pedal thing with the master cylinder and stuff, may help ur situation

also, does ur pedal not come all the way up when u shift, like all the way would be about 1 more inch higher and do u have to lift this distance with ur toe?

pm me with more info

jyt747
10-28-2002, 03:43 PM
hopefully it's just your master and slave cylinders and not your syncrhos...

mbmbmb23
10-28-2002, 10:55 PM
Yeah, check your clutch master cylinder.....I had that exact problem with my car being hard to put into gear...and I noticed my fluid level was bone dry (dunno how)...so...I filled it...and now its perfect again.

-m