PDA

View Full Version : SR doesnt run right

nicku
03-04-2008, 03:29 AM
So I was on highway today.....in the beginning of the driving, the car's a/r ratio was 14-15 when I was cruising on highway. But once a while, it jumped to 18 for like half second and jump back to 14-15. When it jumped to 17-18 at the same time, the battery voltage went down to low 13V to high 12V. After I went off highway, whenever I came to a stop, the af ratio went up to lean, but when I was driving, it became normal again. So I went to dinner, and after dinner I was on highway again. I was on 5th gear cruising about 75mph with rpm about 3000 rpm. And the wideband just showed "RICH". When I let go the gas pedal or gave it more gas, the car started bogging really bad. And finally it kept jumping from "lean" to "rich" and the car was losing power. Suddenly the car just died on me on highway. The exhaust had a lot of smoke coming out with fuel smell. I could hardly start the car, but whenever I started it, the car was choking really bad. I could not even drive it.

Things I have done to my car so far:
nismo 555 cc injectors
safc2 with 33% fuel decrease across the board
stock boost
walbro 250
stock sr20 maf (I changed to z32 maf but for some reason the car became running really lean. So I changed back. And the two wires with the rubber and metal wires cover were taken off the rubber cover because I had to connect the z32 maf. I dont know whether or not it will affect the maf singal reading if I take off the rubber metal wires cover)

My setup
redtop
s15 t28
nismo 555cc
safc2
walbro250

I dont even know what do I start now....please throw some ideas

Leo'S13
03-04-2008, 04:39 AM
It sounds like your MAF is not working.

unicoladron
03-04-2008, 06:54 AM
you're really restricting the capability with your larger injectors and larger turbo with that sr20 maf.

picture yourself running a mile breathing through a cocktail straw....

1. do you have some type of rom tune to compensate for your upgraded turbo and injectors?

2. if you don't, the SAFC won't cut it as far as tuning your engine.

3. did you get some type of dyno tune?

you should get the Z32 MAF back on there so everything starts breathing right, but make sure you wire it correctly. there are plenty of guides.

slider2828
03-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Well it sounded like hedidn't have a problem before.... I would check your mafs and whether if you have a boost leak or not. Does it still bog at this point? Your term of RICH probably means you have one of those junk narrowbands from APEXI or something....

SDS13COUPE
03-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Happened to me before. Coupler came off the coldpipe behind the bumper. From the big smoke cloud and bogging down sounds like you have a boost leak. Check your IC pipes. GL

nicku
03-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Well it sounded like hedidn't have a problem before.... I would check your mafs and whether if you have a boost leak or not. Does it still bog at this point? Your term of RICH probably means you have one of those junk narrowbands from APEXI or something....
I have the plx m300 wideband. When the air fuel ratio is under 9 or something it just shows rich. When it is about 19 then it shows lean instead of the numbers.

I did not have this problem before. I had this setup for like 4 months. And yes it still bogs really bad. when the car is cold, then it is good. once the car becomes warm, it starts choking like crazy.
Does it matter that I took off the rubber cover with the metal wires inside for the two wires on the maf connector?

nicku
03-04-2008, 11:59 AM
you're really restricting the capability with your larger injectors and larger turbo with that sr20 maf.

picture yourself running a mile breathing through a cocktail straw....

1. do you have some type of rom tune to compensate for your upgraded turbo and injectors?

2. if you don't, the SAFC won't cut it as far as tuning your engine.

3. did you get some type of dyno tune?

you should get the Z32 MAF back on there so everything starts breathing right, but make sure you wire it correctly. there are plenty of guides.

I already had this setup for a long time. And I havent had any kind of tune besides safc. My car is running stock boost and everything was good before. It just suddenly became like that on highway.

slider2828
03-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Check those wires.... dust or whatever can happen. Like people said if you think you took off the cover off the mafs and sounds like a mafs issue. You should check...

nicku
03-04-2008, 04:36 PM
check the cold pipe...and it was loose.. so I tighten it up and it ran fine now...I will test it for a couple of days...and let everybody know whats going on

DJ_Sunrise
03-04-2008, 05:23 PM
make yourself a boost leak tester out of pvc pipe elbow and shit. you'll be surprised how many leaks you'll find.

-Bart

SDS13COUPE
03-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Try to get T-clamps that will help prevent this from happening again. Hose clamps suck.

nicku
03-04-2008, 11:58 PM
oh thanks......