PDA

View Full Version : Starting Ka-t without turbo?

nissanracer29
03-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Hello guys, I finally got my hands on a built ka24de-t in an s14. I havent started it yet but I was just wondering if I could take off the turbo and intercooler and start the engine like that? The guy I bought the car from said it starts up just fine but needs for the apexi sfac? to be hooked up. Im not really sure on how to do that so I just wanted to see how the engine runs without the turbo. Also this guy said he put an sr20 head on the ka is that even possible? He put aftermarket cams, forged pistons, etc. Is there anyway that I could tell if he really did all those things to it? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Jorge18
03-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Why would you want to run the engine without the turbo??

svensko
03-03-2008, 08:33 AM
SR head on a KA? Pics or shens. :squintd:

Matej
03-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Don't start it unless you put a regular intake and header on it.

On the other hand I drive my T25 KA-T with stock injectors and no SAFC. :ugh:

An SR head doesn't bolt up to a KA as far as I know, so I'd also be a little skeptical about the aftermarket cams and forged pistons.

landins13
03-03-2008, 08:40 AM
sounds like the guy is feeding you a load of crap, i dont know if it would physically bolt on but it seems as though the sr head would be a down grade for that engine considering that the sr20 head would be ported for a 2 liter engine while the ka head would be designed and ported for a 2.4 liter engine.

the guy doesnt know what hes talking about, and id be extremely skeptical about it having forged pistons and aftermarket cams

nissanracer29
03-03-2008, 08:43 AM
I just want to start it up without the turbo to see how it runs and if its really faster than a stock ka. He also said he put 300zx fuel injectors in the car. How could I tell if they are from a Z? I got the car for pretty cheap so if anything, I could just fix it up a little and sell it back. Also could I take off the valve cover and see if the cams really are aftermarket? How could I tell? Thanks for the replys so far!!!

svensko
03-03-2008, 08:46 AM
You need to figure out if it's a SR20 head first off.

nissanracer29
03-03-2008, 08:49 AM
You need to figure out if it's a SR20 head first off.

How would I do that? It has a ka valve cover on it. Sorry for my ignorance.

98s14inaz
03-03-2008, 08:50 AM
...Also this guy said he put an sr20 head on the ka is that even possible?...

Mythbusted, I'd try to find a knowledgeable 240 owner to look the car over with you. This guy sounds like he is trying to scam you. My BS meter is pegged.

KA-t owners sell their projects for two reasons...something is seriously broken, or the owner is broke...usually because of the thing on the car that is seriously broken. I'm a previous ka-t owner so I should know :Ownedd:

98s14inaz
03-03-2008, 08:51 AM

Not an sr head then.

S14DB
03-03-2008, 08:52 AM

Then it's a KA head and they guy is full of shit. I wouldn't trust anything he says.

svensko
03-03-2008, 08:53 AM
Look at these sites...

http://www.theautochannel.com/autoparts/generalbestnissan/itemz1969_891079mia.html

http://www.240sxmotoring.com/oems13srvaco.html

Which ones looks closer to the outline of your valvecover?

nissanracer29
03-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Yea i think it looks more like a ka. Well what do you guys think about the other parts. Thanks for the responses so far!

98s14inaz
03-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Yea i think it looks more like a ka. Well what do you guys think about the other parts. Thanks for the responses so far!

I wouldn't trust anything he says at this point unless he pulls the motor out of the car, puts it on a stand, flips it over, and pulls the oil pan off. You won't be able to tell what kind of pistons etc are in there otherwise. A lot of companies cast their name in the bottoms of the pistons. I would pass and build your own, nothing sucks more than fixing someone else's project.

S14DB
03-03-2008, 09:10 AM
I wouldn't flip it with the head on unless you want to re-bleed the HLA's. But droping the pan to look up at the pistons and rods is a good idea.

I would stray away from any car that needs a SAFC to run.

OfourTHREEfive
03-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Sounds like this guy is giving you the run around, i would pull lit apart and see for yourself.

nissanracer29
03-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Once again thanks for all the replys. I think im going to take it apart and look at it more closely this weekend. He also said he put a walbo fuel pump on the car. Would the pump say walbro on it if I take it out? Even if its just a stock ka, I can put the rest of the car back to stock and sell it. Im sure someone out there could use an s14 shell even.

nissanracer29
03-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Im going to attempt to start the car this weekend. Will an SAFC II be good enough for me to be able to drive this car if i leave the turbo on? I just dont want to mess anything up. Thanks again everyone for your help so far!!! :)

[H.C.W.T]
03-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Could you get some pics of the motor?

KA-T_240
03-05-2008, 10:28 PM
I love people who start KA-T stuff and then give up. I got my wiseco pistons and crower rods for $600shipped brand new in box!

I would seriously consider confirming what the previous owner says he did. I bought a KA that was torn apart for rebuild with all the parts to put it together but decided to get the block checked out and it was bored to much for the pistons he had...... Never trust someone else work if they are selling it in pieces.

LongGrain
03-05-2008, 10:48 PM
that sounds super sketchy, i wouldnt trust it. look for another car.

nissanracer29
03-06-2008, 02:03 PM
I will post some pictures of the motor this weekend.

Bubba
03-06-2008, 02:17 PM
He has already bought the car if nobody else bothered to read the first post. Now all he can do is try to make the best of what he has on his hands.

Depending on the bill of sales wording you may be able to get your money back out of this deal. Sounds like he just pawned his problems off on you so he can get ghost and never have to deal with the problem again. Hope all turns out well with your situation, Good Luck.

SHIFT_*grind*
03-06-2008, 02:28 PM
If you've already bought this thing, my bet is that you got hosed. If he's feeding you lines about having an SR head on a KA block, I'm just a little suspicious about whether he's being honest about building the motor with forged parts.

Sorry. :(

If you actually haven't bought it yet...don't.

Bubba
03-06-2008, 02:39 PM
I 2nd that statement. Sometimes my reading comprehension is a little off, so IF you haven't bought it then RUN!

xsparc
03-06-2008, 03:24 PM
as far as i know you cant put a sr head on a ka block. just pop the cover off and look at it, the sr has rocker arms, ka doesnt. you can also look at the cams at the same time, look for a green paint stripe on the intake cam and a red/orange stripe on the exhaust cam. as for the fuel pump, just look at the plastic parts, if its old then its stock. for the pistons and stuff, cant tell with out pulling the pan off. sounds like you ot hosed bro. id pull the turbo and put a stock system on it then sell it.

nissanracer29
03-06-2008, 10:57 PM
as far as i know you cant put a sr head on a ka block. just pop the cover off and look at it, the sr has rocker arms, ka doesnt. you can also look at the cams at the same time, look for a green paint stripe on the intake cam and a red/orange stripe on the exhaust cam. as for the fuel pump, just look at the plastic parts, if its old then its stock. for the pistons and stuff, cant tell with out pulling the pan off. sounds like you ot hosed bro. id pull the turbo and put a stock system on it then sell it.

Yea he sold the car to me for $1000.00. It has a clean title it just needs some interior work. If the motor turns out to be bad or not built I could just fix it up and sell it back. Its atleast a good s14 shell for someone. I go home this weekend so I will look over the car even more and keep you guys updated. Thanks

SHIFT_*grind*
03-07-2008, 06:54 AM
Ahh. Well, I guess an S14 shell with a "built" motor for $1000 is a decent deal even if it ends up not actually being built. I lost more than that buying an SR on Ebay years ago and got absolutely nothing out of it in the end :(

nissanracer29
03-08-2008, 01:33 PM
I attempted to start the car up just to see if it would crank and sure enough it did start up on the second attempt. I have an Apexi SAFC and Apexi timer that are waiting to be installed. Would I be able to drive the car if I had those things hooked up? Do I need to get a boost controler or will the SAFC take care of that?

fliprayzin240sx
03-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Even if you could put an SR head on a KA, who in their right fucking mind would wanna do that??? POS shit SR heads with POS hydraulic lifters...

S14DB
03-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Please take it to someone that knows what they are doing to check it out.

alkemyst
03-08-2008, 08:54 PM
sounds like the guy is feeding you a load of crap, i dont know if it would physically bolt on but it seems as though the sr head would be a down grade for that engine considering that the sr20 head would be ported for a 2 liter engine while the ka head would be designed and ported for a 2.4 liter engine.

the guy doesnt know what hes talking about, and id be extremely skeptical about it having forged pistons and aftermarket cams

yeah switch to 4 lug hubs too because some guy told me that the 4 lug hubs were only available special order from Nissan for SE's...the lower unsprung weight made for 'roughly' he said a full second 0-60 and turning a sub 14 sec. 1/4 mile stock.

Maybe he is the same guy you are talking to...he was in miami.

nissanracer29
03-09-2008, 01:29 PM
I attempted to start the car up just to see if it would crank and sure enough it did start up on the second attempt. I have an Apexi SAFC and Apexi timer that are waiting to be installed. Would I be able to drive the car if I had those things hooked up? Do I need to get a boost controler or will the SAFC take care of that?

Can someone help me answer this question. Also If I put a stock intake back on cant I just take the turbo off and run car with the turbo manifold on? Or will that hurt the engine? Thanks

racerjake
03-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Don't give up on this motor! This is a typical type of thing. The guy probably knew how to build a motor but didn't figure out how to do the fuel and timing. You can idle the car and drive it around before boost builds on stock fuel and timing as long as you keep it off boost. (read, go very slow and rev LOW!) But who they hell knows what you got. The intake or the turbo isn't a problem. What is, is not knowing the flow rate of your injectors or the MAF. Depending on those, you can be running too rich (bye bye cat) or too lean (bye bye motor). DON'T run that thing before you figure out what you got. A SAFC gives you tuning ability - but you need a wideband and some knowledge (preferably a dyno) to make it right.

Here's what I would do. Go back to this guy and get a LIST of what he put on it. What MAF, how many cc injectors, what fuel pump, what Compression Ratio. With that, the right people can figure out how to make this thing get the fuel it needs.

As for your last question - the answer is NO. Stock intake, no turbo, stock manifold - but the wrong MAF and or injectors and or Compression Ratio will be NO GOOD. You need to figure out what you got.

racerjake
03-10-2008, 07:28 AM
BTW - chances are you have SR20DET Injectors and turbo - not the head. And you probably have a 300ZX MAF, not injectors. This is a typical KA-T build.

nissanracer29
03-10-2008, 08:33 AM
im not sure how to post pictures on here. So if anyone would like to see what I have just let me know and I can email them to you. Im going to call the guy this afternoon and ask him those questions.

bizzyj83
03-10-2008, 09:04 AM
lol
shafted.

SR head on KA block?
LOLOLOLOLOL.

Does that even make sense?

Jung918
03-10-2008, 10:33 AM
the guy is a liar so even if you ask him what parts are on the car, would you really trust him? next time you make a purchase do some homework so you are not in this situation.

you can email me the photos and I will host them.

do not run the car without a proper tune.

nissanracer29
03-10-2008, 01:35 PM
the guy is a liar so even if you ask him what parts are on the car, would you really trust him? next time you make a purchase do some homework so you are not in this situation.

you can email me the photos and I will host them. foemac @ gmail.com

do not run the car without a proper tune.

Ok I emailed the pictures to you.

Jung918
03-10-2008, 02:21 PM
http://www.kang.tv/james_files/zilvia/100_1205.JPG
http://www.kang.tv/james_files/zilvia/100_1206.JPG
http://www.kang.tv/james_files/zilvia/100_1208.JPG
http://www.kang.tv/james_files/zilvia/100_1209.JPG
http://www.kang.tv/james_files/zilvia/100_1210.JPG
http://www.kang.tv/james_files/zilvia/100_1211.JPG

racerjake
03-10-2008, 03:43 PM
OMFG!

You need to find someone who knows what they are doing. Do NOT run the car like that. The IC pipes are comical. I doubt a blow thru on the hot side will ever work right, and don't get me started on the cold side that runs outside the bodywork. If you don't know what that means - it means you need to find someone who knows what they are doing.

Good luck man. On the bright side, you have way more than a grand worth of parts there.

nissanracer29
03-10-2008, 03:52 PM
OMFG!

You need to find someone who knows what they are doing. Do NOT run the car like that. The IC pipes are comical. I doubt a blow thru on the hot side will ever work right, and don't get me started on the cold side that runs outside the bodywork. If you don't know what that means - it means you need to find someone who knows what they are doing.

Good luck man. On the bright side, you have way more than a grand worth of parts there.

Plus he had an Apexi SAFC and Apexi Timer sitting in the passenger seat that havent been installed. Yea the IC pipes are horribly routed. I am going to try and route them differently. What do you think about how the turbo is mounted? Can I rotate it downwards by unbolting it or do I need to get a different manifold? Thanks everyone for all the responses. :)