PDA

View Full Version : what ecu do i need?

gippy87
03-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Im no stranger to sr swaps, actually this will be my third one ive done but it is my first s14 blacktop i have swapped and i dont have an ecu for it. I was told it was the later model s14 blacktop so idk if that helps but i just need to know which ecu to buy for this engine.

gippy87
03-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Anybody? I was told the s14 blacktop has 2 different ecus one with a smaller conector maybe thats wrong idk someone just fill me in please. I had a very good write up of ecus and what the numbers letters on them mean but ive searched and cant seem to find it.

sblack13
03-03-2008, 11:51 PM
the smaller connectors are sr20de ecu's stay away from them.

WC- Zenki
NA- Kouki

SR20n00b
03-04-2008, 12:10 AM
i have a spare ECU says 64 in red letters not sure what its for though.

Dousan_PG
03-04-2008, 12:11 AM
not s14 sr

s14 u need either WC, WE or NA
wc/we is zenki
na is kouki

as mentioned above.

gippy87
03-04-2008, 11:28 PM
how do i tell which one my motor came from zenki or kouki? All i know is its a s14 blacktop anyhing on the block that would let me know if it were zenki or kouki. Also i know u said the we/wc were both for zenki are there any difference between them other then the letters posted on the ecu. The big blue connector for the ecu was snaped in half and some of the wiring was messed up so we sent it out to wiring specialty and they fixed the harness. Im just asuming my buddy was wrong and its not the smaller ecu connector since the harness didnt come from a sr20de

Dousan_PG
03-04-2008, 11:29 PM
usulaly zenki has a smooth front on the head
kouki has 'ribs'
thats the most common

easy to change but a stock kouki would have a 'click' oil cap zenki isnt
um..
i dont know the other diferences that well
search around its been posted before

sblack13
03-05-2008, 12:35 AM
big blue connector is zenki. White is kouki.

Big boo to wiring specialities. Got wiring back plug into car, ecu does'nt get power, fuel pump no worky.

Plug my other s14 sr harness in car is working.
So end in story don't use them!!

Avante
03-05-2008, 02:14 AM
if you have a s14 zenki sr, try to pick up a WC coded ecu.

the motor set i bought came out of a auto, and the WE coded ecu has some problems, mimicking a maf problem in 1st and 2nd gear (not letting you rev past 1500 rpm), but once you shift into 3rd and go past 2k, its fine.

then again, i have 2 tps sensors, and they might be dirty.

good luck!

Dousan_PG
03-05-2008, 02:27 AM
big blue connector is zenki. White is kouki.

Big boo to wiring specialities. Got wiring back plug into car, ecu does'nt get power, fuel pump no worky.

Plug my other s14 sr harness in car is working.
So end in story don't use them!!

not always
my kouki clip was a blue connector. but a kouki ECU, NA

yeah.

gippy87
03-05-2008, 05:57 AM
Damn some mixed info here. im going to have to take a closer look at the engine to see if it has those ribs or not.

DrtyRat
03-05-2008, 06:49 AM
Damn some mixed info here. im going to have to take a closer look at the engine to see if it has those ribs or not.
Keep in mind that you can use a zenki harness/ecu w/the kouki motor. I have a WC ecu w/my kouki motor. Ideally you would go w/the wc, as its seems to have more support, in terms of tunability (i.e. rom tunes).

sblack13
03-05-2008, 02:41 PM
theres those weird late model zenki's with kouki electronics.

nxpoweredsr20
03-06-2008, 06:53 PM
what i was told is you can tell from the stock maf plug....if its square its a zenki.....if its circle its kouki...my zenki is a red label wc ecu

usdm180sx
03-06-2008, 07:11 PM
my zenki s14 sr had a clicking oil cap like the gas cap

S14DB
03-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Doesn't matter what Motor you have they will both run with the Zenki or Kouki ecu/harness and vice versa.

-Kouki Harness is 3 rows of pins on the ECU connector.
-Zenki Harness is 2 rows of pins on the ECU connector.

Which ever connector you have on the Harness. Just buy the ECU for the harness.

fliprayzin240sx
03-06-2008, 07:51 PM
AJ, question for you then, if PFC for the S15 and kouki S14 is interchangeable, is it feasible to interchange the stock ECU too? Atleast a rom tune ECU since there is the difference in injectors between the 2 engines.

S14DB
03-06-2008, 08:00 PM
AJ, question for you then, if PFC for the S15 and kouki S14 is interchangeable, is it feasible to interchange the stock ECU too? Atleast a rom tune ECU since there is the difference in injectors between the 2 engines.

I thought you were running the S15SR with S14 kouki harness and ECU?

gippy87
03-06-2008, 09:05 PM
So i officially purchased it all today for 2500 looked liek a deal to me no rust on shell and engine looks brand friggin new. I should easily be able to tell which ecu to get now fter taking a look at the harness but i included pics anyways to see if youd eb able to tell by looking at engine.

http://risr.org/files/z7YqwEu9t.jpg
http://risr.org/files/PSYOyIiV.jpg
http://risr.org/files/70I3dq8EI.jpg

S14DB
03-06-2008, 09:14 PM
So i officially purchased it all today for 2500 looked liek a deal to me no rust on shell and engine looks brand friggin new. I should easily be able to tell which ecu to get now fter taking a look at the harness but i included pics anyways to see if youd eb able to tell by looking at engine.
No, Like I said before the engine doesn't matter. Pics of the ECU plug on the harness.

gippy87
03-07-2008, 12:16 AM
I'll get pics of ecu clip. I figured engine would of helped because someone mentioned about certain years having grooves or fins on the head

S14DB
03-07-2008, 06:57 AM
I'll get pics of ecu clip. I figured engine would of helped because someone mentioned about certain years having grooves or fins on the head

Looks like a Kouki head but I got a Zenki harness with my Kouki Motorset. So, you never know.

The only thing that matters is that the Harness and ECU is the same.

gippy87
03-08-2008, 09:29 AM
edit edit edit edit

sblack13
03-08-2008, 11:04 AM
ok, I did'nt understand one word you just typed.
But its looks like you have a s14 kouki. Kouki fin's go all the way down
S15 fins stop half way.

Kouki ecu plug is shorter, and Zenki is longer.

And the only really issue about them, is the maf plugs are different between the two.

And I guess looking more into it, the blue connector ecu plugs are earlier model kouki harnesses. Where as the white are later model kouki.

S14DB
03-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Connector is all that matters:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/S14DB/240sx/EMS/S14ECUs.jpg

gippy87
03-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Im all confused now hopefully someone can help me out here. When i recieved the engine and harness the harness was all messed up, connector was snapped in half, so i brought it to wiring specialties he told me i had the later model s14 i guess he knew cause of the 3 rows of pins he returned the harness with a new connector i knew nothing of the 3 row ecu and 2 row ecu thought they were all the same so didnt even check what connector he replaced it with. The harness after looking at it today has a 2 row connector on it now. Is it possible to wire zenki ecu connector to a kouki harness? I asume so since the harness can be interchanged on the motors and only difference is ecu and mafs connector. If its possible im gogin to have to assume thats what wiring specialies did chances are they didnt have any spare 3 row connectors lying around also i told him i didnt have the ecu and planned to go power fc so maybe thats why he did it idk. Jus wondering if its possible to wire up the zenki connector to kouki harness. LMK.

S14DB
03-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Yes only the connector matters. You can re pin them.