PDA

View Full Version : Parasitic Drain

phobos
03-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Where is the best place to start for a parasidic drain without having to pull every fuse to find the issue? Do 240's have a common issue on where the drain could be, ex: the motorized seatbelts may be faulty? I would like the help so I could look without wasting too much time lol.

I know my ECU always has the error light on 24/7. Can the ECU drain a brand new battery within 3 days?

Thanks in advance!

Jpooks_S13
03-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Testing the fuses doesn't take that long.I myself had a parasitic drain and started with interior fuses testing with a 12v test light and then moved into the main fuse block in the engine bay.Once you have pin pointed which circuit your drain is on id check out wiring diagrams if you know how to read them and check for shorts.there is a link if you search on here for hte diaram.a multimeter will be a very useful tool.have you recently installed any new electric devices?

phobos
03-02-2008, 11:19 PM
No new electrical devices. Got it with the drain, and its still there!

I have a manual that has everything in it and there is a wiring diagram in it as well.

I knew I had to test the fuses, but i was just checking to see if anyone knew of a "hotspot" so IF it happened to be that, it wouldn't take long to find/fix it instead of searching for the issue.

Thanks a lot for your help though man!:bigok:

pirate_texxx
03-02-2008, 11:31 PM
this happened not to long ago on my buddies car. his battery fell over and fried a bunch of grounds, he didnt fix all of them and it ended up causing a drain. has your battery fallen recently or moved around? or maybe you got some water on an open wire somewhere

MadMaverick
03-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Do you have an ammeter?

You can check for a parasitic drain and narrow it down with the following procedure:

-Disconnect NEG batt terminal
-Hook up ammeter in line (cable-ammeter-NEG terminal)
-Wait a minute
-If you read anthing more than 50 milliamps, you have a parasitic drain
-Leaving the ammeter attached, start pulling fuses one at a time until the drain goes away, then check that circuit.

It shouldnt take long, good luck.

pirate_texxx
03-02-2008, 11:38 PM
you can do it with something as simple as a test light, disconnect the negative battery cable, ground the test light on the battery terminal and touch it to the negative cable, it will light up until you fix it

phobos
03-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Yeah, the battery isn't mounted and I REALLY need to get that fixed...

Gonna check all the grounds and search for open wires as well.

No ideas on the ECU?

And thanks once again! I know how to do the procedure/troubleshoot so you don't have to waste time typing :)!!!

pirate_texxx
03-02-2008, 11:46 PM
i doubt its the ecu, if you really want to check, do the test light thing i just said, then unplug the ecu, if its the ecu the test light will go off

timlush
03-03-2008, 12:43 AM
Yeah, do the test light. Easier than the multimeter.