PDA

View Full Version : Some Qs on Seibon carbon fiber parts.

LS240
03-02-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm kinda curious about Seibon parts, specifically the doors, hatch, and hood for S13s. My main question is how much lighter are they than stock? I'd most likely just paint over them anyways so the "look" of carbon fiber doesn't matter. All I care about is weight savings. Seibon parts are just wet carbon overlay on fiberglass(well ok, "carbon-infused" or whatever they call it), so this makes me think they really aren't gonna be that light.

Also, how is the fitment of these parts? You see, I have OCD and I'm an absolute fitment whore, so if there's a gap that's too big or something doesn't quite line up it will bother me endlessly and just frankly be unacceptable. Parts have to line up pretty much perfectly(as good as OEM) for me to consider them worth the purchase. Will Seibon parts satisfy my discerning eye?

And if they're not light or not particularly great-fitting, then are there any options out there that are? Are there any companies that make actual dry carbon, or even just pure(meaning no fiberglass) wet carbon parts for the 240SX/Silvia that fit great and make a meaningful difference in weight?

Thanks a bunch.
-Layne

OptionZero
03-02-2008, 05:48 PM
No aftermarket part will ever fit perfectly, and even within a brand fitment will vary.

sick_lazy_gray-s13
03-02-2008, 05:51 PM
If that's the case don't buy SEIBON, our shop used to carry seibon and we found that the fitment is usually off. Try Carbon Creations hoods.

Here is the link so you can take a look at our shops site for CC.

http://www.directtuning.com/store/searchadv.aspx?quicksearch=search&SearchTerm=carbon+creat%25240&MakesID=0&ModelsID=0&YearID=0&CatID=0&IsSubmit=true (http://www.directtuning.com/store/searchadv.aspx?quicksearch=search&SearchTerm=carbon+creat%25240&MakesID=0&ModelsID=0&YearID=0&CatID=0&IsSubmit=true)

fliprayzin240sx
03-02-2008, 05:55 PM
If you have OCD when it comes to fitment, then no, there isnt anything out there thats gonna fit perfect for you. Im not gonna say they dont fit, but some adjustment and play is always necessary.

As far as weight, ofcourse theyre gonna be lighter, I just cant remember the numbers off the top of my head as far as the hood goes. Im gonna say the carbon hoods are atleast 1/3 the weight of the OEM metal hoods.

KA-T_240
03-03-2008, 12:52 AM
Ya, in the boxes the hoods I have gotten are WAY lighter then the metal ones. By probably 15+ lbs.

If I get bored this weekend I might weight them. But, I don't know if I well get around to it, got a KA to assemble.

PuffinPuffer
03-03-2008, 01:02 AM
yeah im thinking 1/3 of the weight for most exterior pieces

hustlervibes
03-03-2008, 01:05 AM
They save a good ammount of weight, but if you can't stand poor fitment don't go with seibon. Wait for kognition to come out with their dry carbon products.

Sir
03-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Origin's doors are fiberglass and they weight around 12lbs IIRC. I'd imagine carbon ones would be lighter.

But these aren't made to be pretty at a car show, but save weight on the track, you know where it actually matters