PDA

View Full Version : car stalls when comming to a coasting stop...

dnbwithweed
02-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Hey guys! well first off let me say that i had a few problems with my car all minor so far. My car used to sputter at speeds above 60 mph like it was gettn a fuel cut also the car would stall out and shut off on me or the revs drop below 500 then cuts up 900 at idle. i replaced the tps sensor with one from the sr20 store and it doesnt sputter now but i still get the rev drop and stalling on my car. Also when i put the pedal to the metal it seems as the car is choking....i am running no BOV which ill get soon maybe in a few days. can someone help me find out the problem? Oh by the way its a black top sr

S-Nation S13
02-27-2008, 11:32 AM
hm..try IACV...i believe mine was doing the same

MadMaverick
02-27-2008, 12:00 PM
hm..try IACV...i believe mine was doing the same

ditto. Your IACV is clogged or sluggish. Its not opening in time when the throttle plate snaps shut so the car gets choked out. You can pull it off and clean it out, see if that helps.

I also had a problem with a short in my (KA) engine control circuit (IACV, EGR, SCS, ect). I would check for power at the IACV connector before pulling it off.

Bushido
02-27-2008, 01:30 PM
spray a can of throttle body cleaner into the iacv hose, dont bother taking it apart...

MadMaverick
02-27-2008, 02:23 PM
spray a can of throttle body cleaner into the iacv hose, dont bother taking it apart...

That isnt the best way to clean it, larger deposits wont come out, plus you dont want chunks of oily shit going through the motor.

duffman1278
02-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Try what bushido mentioned, i've done this on mine, and it helped it a bit.

dnbwithweed
02-28-2008, 06:43 AM
where is the intake a control valve located on the sr20? some one told me it could be a vacuum leak also....could this be?

SDS13COUPE
02-28-2008, 06:48 AM
It's located under the intake manifold runners by the firewall. You'll see the screw popping out for the adjustment. If it was a vac. leak it would be pretty big.

S-Nation S13
02-28-2008, 07:02 AM
vac leak i doubt it cause during initial start up you car would idle real sluggish...i heard clamping vac line closes to motor if no change than most likely that hose was the hose that had a hole/crack in it (at least thats what i did in auto class when we had a galaxie that was all broke down and had funny idle issuses) hope that helps

MadMaverick
02-28-2008, 09:31 AM
small vac leaks will generally raise the idle. Try pulling off a vacuum line and see what happens. I dont work on too many SR's, but there should be a tube leading to the intake just before the throttle body (5/8" line). Follow it back to your IACV.

dnbwithweed
02-28-2008, 11:10 AM
awesome!!! ill check it out when i get home!

dnbwithweed
03-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Ok just to follow up.
I have cured most of my problems.
so far i replaced the intake air control valve(pain in the A$$)
Throttle Position Sensor and adjusted it.
Found Vacuum leak and car runs pretty cherry.
also replaced spark plugs with ngk iridium with a heat range of 6!! AWESOME!
Thanks guys!

MidnightRacingSR
03-17-2008, 09:50 PM
I had a boost leak and it was doing the exact same thing on my sr20. the sputtering, backfiring like a damn machine gun, and when i would coast it would just die.

dnbwithweed
03-18-2008, 12:18 PM
like i said its all good but today i was driving and it started to sputter when i punched it. any ideas?