View Full Version : Fuel issue - Removed Fuel Pump Fuse and car still runs

JDS Performance
02-26-2008, 04:52 PM
Fuel issue - Removed Fuel Pump Fuse and car still runs

OK to start from the top.

I bought a stock s13 91' hatchback

It has a gas smell in the cabin after refueling

I changed the o-ring for fuel pump cover to gas tank - didnt fix it

I was in the process of changin the vent tube from filler neck to gas tank - and courtesy nissan sent the wrong part - they sent the hose that goes over the actual hose!

But anyways - I went to do a fuel pressure release (did not do one on the fuel pump O-ring - and yes is spilled fuel everywhere :) )

I pulled the fuel pump fuse - remove the gas cap - started the car - it ran then died - I started car agin and it did the same thing - then the 3rd-4th-5th time the car just kept running - acting like it wanted to cut off but never did!

This is weird to me - no fuel pump to pump fuel - but the car continues to run? WTF?

So now I think maybe my gas smell might have something to do with this?

Anyone have any idea or ever had this happen to them?

ManoNegra
02-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Similar thing happened to a friend's SR recently. Damaged injector o-ring flooded the cylinders pretty bad. Intake, intercooler, oil... everything was soaked in gas, enough to let the car start with pump fuse out.

projectRDM
02-26-2008, 06:36 PM
Keep starting it. There's usually enough pressure to keep running for a bit after the power is dropped, I've had one that continued to start over a dozen times. I guess you could also make sure you've pulled the right fuse.

JDS Performance
02-26-2008, 06:45 PM
See thats just weird - I have done this plenty of times and never had this issue before.

I am posative it had enough to drain the lines - so thats got me puzzled - as there is obviously some issue with the fuel system on this car.

The car has a bit of a hesitation too - when you give it gas it takes a sec before it kicks in and goes - almost like turbo lag - but the car is NA!
Maybe this is yet another issue adding to the first issue?

Its not a injector o-ring - I checked that too.

BTW good one on (remove the right fuse) :bigok: