PDA

View Full Version : I need Pro's help for my sr!!

str4g63
02-25-2008, 08:17 PM
O.k Here is the deal, I parked the car for like 3 days washed her wax her.. Then today I go to start her up and all she does is crank over..... I never had a problem with my s14 ever.. Here is the hard part, It has spark, it has fuel, the igniter is good, the cas and the timing is good, the ecu checks out.. the fuses are not blown, one relay was bad but I jumped it.. the alarm isn't causeing the fuel cut or anything.. I ran out of options and things to check. Please please some suggestions, ideas, common failurs.. Here are some things I did to get rid of down time.. Injectors ohm out at 11.-- so there good.. igniter chip, switched over from friends sr as well as the cas.( I put mine on his and started), fuel pump u can hear working and can feel the pressure from squeezing the feed line, ignition I checked each coil pack for spark, I tried my power fc ecu and my friends ecu no go.. I didn't really try my z32 maf but figured if it was the maf it would turn on and idle bad or just shut off.. the fuses in the cockpit and the engine bay check out.. the relay's are all getting power checked with dvom. So there you have it what the hell is left to check and what would cause my car just not to work from one day to the next?? please help out thanks in advance for any to all suggestions..

gotta240
02-25-2008, 08:19 PM
what relay was bad and why did you jump it instead of replacing it?

str4g63
02-25-2008, 10:55 PM
well thats the thing my fuse box deosn't have the diagram ( if any body can send me a pic of there ill greatly appreciate it) the relay must have been the igntion one becuause it wouldn't crank with out it.. so I jumped it and it just cranks.. ohh and its a little hard to get one unless you get it from the dealer or the junk yards but the junk yards suck around here plus the s13's are diffent..

landins13
02-25-2008, 10:58 PM
http://www.240edge.com/manuals/s14_sr20det.pdf

this is the fsm for your car, in case you dont have it, i wish i could be more help but im not that familiar with the s14 chasis.

S13Leprechaun
02-25-2008, 11:04 PM
just replace it... i think thats your problem...

slider2828
02-26-2008, 12:57 AM
Jumping is useless because relays can have more than one connections. Secondly it would be good to tell us what relay broke because relays really don't break unless it was a huge short. Also spray some, not a little, brake cleaner into all 4 cylinders through the spark plug wells and try to fire it up.

str4g63
02-26-2008, 02:16 AM
Big Thanks on the fsm Ive been searching for that with no luck just dead links.. I just got a pic sent for the fuse cover it was the clutch ascd cut.. The only thing I remember doing was trying to change the oil filter from the top with an oil filter wrench.. I did nothing else mechanically wise.. I stuck and running short on options.. now that i got a pic I'm going to grab the rad fan relay and put on the clutch one..

motoman6968
02-26-2008, 03:34 AM
I'm not a pro, but why would you tell someone to spray brake cleaner in an engine, yes it's very combustable, but when they put the brake in brake cleaner, does that not specify that it is to be used on brakes? just a hunch, and if you really care for your engine you wouldnt try to half ass it right? I'd say analyze the situation before you go and spray enough brake cleaner in there to equal mining for gold...

str4g63
02-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Common guys some one must have had a similar problom..any ideas, I really don't think my engine went.. what else could it be.

slider2828
02-26-2008, 11:55 AM
FSM is on zeryon.com. Brake fluid is the same as starter fluid used on carbeurated motors. It will do nothing to your car as it evaps and burns off quickly. It is hot rod trick and even japanese engine builders do it. Unless he has a short in the wire loom, he has eliminated almost all possibilities.

Recheck the fusible links as they are very hard to see while in the car. Pull out each one and check. So how did it go after you replaced the relay?

DJ_Sunrise
02-26-2008, 05:09 PM
How did you test the fuses? Visually doesn't always work. Pick me up from NJ, I'll help you out haha

-Bart

fliprayzin240sx
02-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Did you check your battery voltage? SRs dont like weak batteries...

str4g63
02-26-2008, 10:15 PM
today I took out every single fuse and relay and tried them out for power with (harness side) and then tested the fuses and manually powered the relays.. I took off the valve cover and checked my timing that was good disconnected the alarm, sometimes when alarms go bad they don't let the car start.. Battery is a westco and it's at 12.34v and draing as I keep try other possibilities.. I checked fuel again by turning the key and taking out the feed side of the fuel line.. checked out good. tommorrow im going to take out the cas and turn it by hand to see if the injectors are clicking.. I ohm them out and 11.4 accross.. Question I was looking through the fsm and what about the nuetrol safty switch would that not allow the car to start but still have spark and fuel?? I would go pick u up but I moved to houston tx.. Ill update later..Thanks for any input.

str4g63
02-26-2008, 10:17 PM
I forgot to mention I turned the ecu dial clockwise and then counter the code I got was 55 witch is no error.. sucks to be me right now..I miss my car.

slider2828
02-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Westco is JUNK! I had one and it was gone in a year. Try to jump to car with your friends car... 12.34v is not enough as usually it is amperage and it is usually over 13 if I remember....

str4g63
02-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Ill give it a go.. And try to see what happens..

Slow Poke
02-27-2008, 10:19 AM
12 volts IS enough to start the car. You battery should not put out 13 volts, your alternator is the one that puts out the 13-14 volts. I probably have the relay you need. PM me with a pic of which one you want.

RHDRPS13
02-27-2008, 11:25 AM
I forgot to mention I turned the ecu dial clockwise and then counter the code I got was 55 witch is no error.. sucks to be me right now..I miss my car.

My friend's Z32 TT had a similar problem one day it just wouldn't turn over. It turned out to be the harness from his PTU to the engine had some corroded wires. While trying to diagnose the problem, his ecu also gave him a code 55.

str4g63
02-27-2008, 11:33 PM
I'm going to take my harness out and spray 3 cans of electrical harness cleaner,, doubt my engine went but I'm going to compression test the engine...

str4g63
02-29-2008, 04:17 PM
I did a compression test and I got 155psi on all cylinders.. wich is defenitly good but no it leaves me with even less options to go on.. I also tested the injectors and there good... but I did notice something.. I key on and the fuel pump goes on and I already took the fuel feed line out and gushed fuel but when I take out a spark plug they are all dry.. Is it supposed to be dry??

mnmax
02-29-2008, 04:58 PM
possibly a clog in the fuel rail or fpr? pull it out and check... since it sat for 3 days all that dirty fuel deposit finally settled somewhere it shouldn't have. just a guess

Luvs2slide
02-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Just a posiibility...but did you ever check the starter? Also I would check the alternator connections and starter connections.If you had NO problems whatsoever and all of a sudden it just takes a shit on you then it cant be that difficult. Also, like Flipraysin said, check the battery...check the connectors on the battery. Try to push start the car, if you can then its the starter. Also try hitting it with a hammer before you decide to pull it. It only takes like 10 min to pull a starter off...Good Luck! Also, just cause you left it sitting for 3 days...it could be your battery now that I think of it...the stock Clocks on them bitches CAN and WILL drain your battery.

ryan hagen
02-29-2008, 06:47 PM
brake clean and starting fluid are similiar, but brake fluid is nothing close to starting fluid lol

FSM is on zeryon.com. Brake fluid is the same as starter fluid used on carbeurated motors. It will do nothing to your car as it evaps and burns off quickly. It is hot rod trick and even japanese engine builders do it. Unless he has a short in the wire loom, he has eliminated almost all possibilities.

Recheck the fusible links as they are very hard to see while in the car. Pull out each one and check. So how did it go after you replaced the relay?

GSXRJJordan
02-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Your spark plugs being dry dose not tell you definitively if your injectors work or don't work - I get where you're going though. Is the car cranking normally (no weird starter sounds?). I guess it is if you're getting 155psi on a compression test.

Neutral safety switch is not nearly as likely as the clutch switch - I believe it shows ground when the clutch is not touching the sensor (meaning the clutch is depressed) - try shorting it/grounding it/giving it 12v. If one of those combos starts the car, that's the problem (happened to me in the s13 once).

lhoy12
02-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Leave the injectors in the fuel rail and pull your whole fuel rail and see if the injectors are firing that way. Also check your grounds on your harness, especially the one that runs from the back of the head to the fire wall that is just about dead center in the middle slightly to the driver's side.

str4g63
03-02-2008, 11:31 AM
I don't think it's the starter becuause it cranks over every time, I also jumped the clutch switch and cranked the car with out the clutch.. I also tested the fuel injectors by ohm ing them out, and hearing them click by turning the CAS while powered witch by the way makes the fuel pump turn also.. As for the battery I checked it out with the Dvom and I got 12.34 witch is enogh to turn the car. I guess I'm going to take out the fuel rail and see if its clogged and buy a vaccum tester and test the fuel pressure regulator. Oh and the injectors are 550cc.. before I take out the fuel rail im going to put some brake cleaner or starter fluid to see if that works.. thanks for all suggestions, I'm going to keep trying..

sr20det0821
03-05-2008, 10:11 AM
just for shits and giggles is the 10mm screw that plugs into the ecu and connects the harness is that nice and tight if not the car will not start no matter what you do and try putting new spark plugs in you might have fouled them out or sumthing

str4g63
03-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Some one told me about that the other day so I checked I took it out and cleaned it up and put it back the ground checked out.. The only thing I got left to try is a new set of spark plugs.. The set I have now are iridium 7's ngk.. They don't look to bad but at this point Ill try anything..

slider2828
03-05-2008, 10:57 AM
When you swapped out ecu's, did you use the correct ecu for your SR? As different blacktops use different ecus.

str4g63
03-05-2008, 11:28 AM
I used the power fc ecu, it deosn't make ther run underload but it turns on and idle's.. I'm going to try my friends redtop ecu when he gets it out the shop.. I ran into someone else's thread and they said they put lucas oil add. and after a few days it started to run like crap.. when I changed my oil I added the lucas ( I got it for free) the first time I ever used it. Has anyone ever used lucas and had any problems??

str4g63
03-06-2008, 04:17 PM
I got another problem now the I got no power going to the clutch ascd relay.. where does the power source lead to?? all my fuses are good though.. I can't crank the car anymore..

str4g63
03-08-2008, 10:48 PM
I fixed that but know back to the original problem..sucks

rb25_s13*CHUKI
03-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Damn maybe if you were closer i could go help you out in person it would give me a better idea of what's goin on

Skaterjunky8
03-09-2008, 01:18 AM
i Had a similar problem with my SOHC and it turned out ot be the wiring in the wheel well was rubbed through and touching something else, no blown fuses just kept cranking and wouldnt turn over. If your car is dropped and you didnt do anytning with the harnesses that might be something to look at.

str4g63
03-11-2008, 12:32 AM
Can anyone tell me if you disconnect the ignition harness and crank the car a few times should the spark plugs be full of fuel??

clark
03-11-2008, 08:08 AM
i was having a problem starting yesterday, and i was making sure i was getting fuel. the plugs weren't full of fuel, but they were somewhat wet, not dripping, and when i touched it slightly, a fuel smell was evident.

i just read through your thread, it looks like you checked everything critical to engine operation (spark, fuel, compression).

i don't remember if you tried this, but have you pulled and held your coiplapck/plug to your valve cover and cranked to look for an electrical arc to make sure the ignitor/ignition system are working?

with everything you've done, i'd start looking for wiring problems.

str4g63
03-11-2008, 11:42 AM
I tried that on every coil... My spark plugs are completely dry.. not much smell of fuel either on the plug..

Gjohnson7
03-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Sounds like your not getting fuel. Did you pull the fuel rail and actually see if the the injectors were spraying.

johngriff
03-11-2008, 07:57 PM
test for supply power on the injector connector, and check the base, key on fuel pressure.

And, how much gas is in the tank?

str4g63
03-12-2008, 03:56 PM
I took off the fuel rail and with everything connected I cranked the enginea and bingo no fuel through the injectors just the fuel feed and return.. I tested continuety from the injector harness and the ecu pin and there all good.. but how do I test for power.. where do they recieve power or power signal.. I know on the connector one is for ground all the red ones and the other are ecu signal.. Is there another connector.. I also double checked the manifold ground..

Skaterjunky8
03-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Injectors work realy simply, they get 12Volts with key on all the time, then the computer grounds them, best way to check for pulse is a noid light, about 2 bucks at the parts store, if your ghetto you can try to rig up a light and stick it in either socket with it disconnected, then crank the car, the light should be blinking, then move to the rail and check to make sure your fuel lines are hooked up correctly, feed line on the right side of the rail and return line on the Regualtor side. You can pull off the feed line and crank the car, and make sure that there is fuel going to the injectors.if all that is still good, then pull the rail and supply your own power and ground to one injector while the Fuel pump is energized and watch the injector spray, if it doesnt then it s a bad injector, clogged or shorted out. Try every injector. the answer has to be in those tests.

str4g63
03-12-2008, 11:59 PM
I think the problem is 12v with the key on.. anybody know the color of the wire on the ignition side and the pin number going to the ecu. I checked the ecu wires going to the injectors and there good but It seems there not getting power.. I need to know there power source that seems to be the key to get my car running again.. The FSM says something about a harness but I cant find it since its a 6 pin connector.

Skaterjunky8
03-13-2008, 11:11 AM
a fuse supplies them with 12v, probobly the ignition fuse but not sure