PDA

View Full Version : quick timing chain question

tgd89
02-24-2008, 04:32 PM
In the process of taking off the cam bolt on my SOHC, the timing chain slips off allowing the cam to rotate 180 degrees so that the dowel is pointing straight down. Now since rotating the cam back without the chain on is pretty hard, I decide just to rotate the crank instead. Now I first thought the woodruff should point straight down also, but this seems not to be the case.
So my question is, it's fine as long as the two marks line up on the chain? The woodruff points at about 5 o'clock.

OBEEWON
02-24-2008, 04:48 PM
You really shouldnt be rotating the crank with the chain off the sprocket. But as long as the chain doesnt jump teeth on the crank you should be ok. You probably dont have to rotate it too much...

racepar1
02-24-2008, 11:43 PM
You NEED to set the crankshaft at TDC and THEN line up the timing mark on the cam.

tgd89
02-25-2008, 12:07 AM
Really, there is no other way? If that's the case any suggestions on how to get the cam back to TDC? I've tried just tightening down the cam bolt, but the amount of force it would take is ridiculous, not to mention the fact I would have to take the bolt off again to get the chain on.

Edit: After thinking about it and realizing how absolutely retarded I am, that I shouldn't rotate the cam and the crank separatly as the valves might hit. To rotate the cam back should I just take off the rockers and rotate it that way?