PDA

View Full Version : 1jz/2jz exhaust on s14

JohnD1079
02-23-2008, 02:08 AM
I couldnt find anything on this so here goes.

If i want to swap my s14 with a 1 or 2 jz, i still use the stock exhaust system. Or for better words, any exhaust that i buy for my s14 will fit, its the downpipe that will be modded or made to fit where the cat would be correct?

Also which ones would you recommend for this engine? I know bigger is better for turbo, but wont anything over 3" be overkill for this. Ohh, i hate loudness. Im looking for as quiet as possible.

Addicted2Kouki
02-23-2008, 04:33 AM
exhausts are only for THAT chassis.

any s14 exhaust will work as long as the cat is still in the same place.
which means yes, a modded downpipe is necessary.

3" should be perfect.

B Love
02-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Yup just a custom downpipe and thats it. Luckily your getting a 1j if you hate loudness its not as loud as an rb and sounds smoother

1985zcar
02-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Really? isn't the exhaust manifold on the opposite side on a 1j? I'd be interested to see exhaust pics from underneath on a 1/2j swapped car.

BoostedCoupe
02-23-2008, 11:34 AM
since the exhaust on jz's are on the right does the downpipe go under the trans over on top of it. i knowit has to go over to the drivers side. also any s14 catback will work like said just keep the cat in the same place

g6civcx
02-23-2008, 01:21 PM
If I were you, I would seat the motor first and get the driveline angle correct.

Keep in mind how the cylinders line up and which side the exhaust is on. If you want to use any catback meant for a stock car I suggest you leave the cat on and go find a good welder to make your manifold and downpipe.

JohnD1079
02-23-2008, 02:04 PM
If I were you, I would seat the motor first and get the driveline angle correct.

Keep in mind how the cylinders line up and which side the exhaust is on. If you want to use any catback meant for a stock car I suggest you leave the cat on and go find a good welder to make your manifold and downpipe.

Yea, i would do that as well, but my stock exhaust is rusted out, and i need a new one, and im not gonna buy one now, and then get another one made when i swap it eventually.

I know that the exhaust is on the other side, and from what i read Here (http://www.2jzswap.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1692) (H.), all you need is a 45 degree bend, but ive also heard that then the exhaust will be too low and you'll scrape/get ripped off.

B Love
02-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Do exhaust thru the car like that one cefiro lol

GSXRJJordan
02-23-2008, 02:40 PM
Yes, the exhaust side is opposite. The chassis doesn't have a whole lot on the other side (just the LSD/axles to worry about IIRC), so you could have it exit the other side. You could also have it cross over below (thanks Deftec) the tranny/bell housing, depending on where you mount the motor.

What you're not realizing is that these swaps are not "plug and play", and therefore some piping/etc needs to be made. Get the motor in, get the intercooler set up, get the driveline set, THEN worry about exhaust. The exhaust should be the last thing you worry about (and then just go with a resonator and a muffler and some blastpipes/etc... make something custom).

Deftec
02-23-2008, 03:28 PM
There are some guys that have had custom exhausts ran down the passenger side and exit in the normal position. The majority of them just have a downpipe cross over to the stock exhaust(it will go UNDER the trans bellhousing of course).
I'm just going to have a shop run me one across to my N1 so I don't have to pay for a whole new setup. As others said though, worry about that last since you don't necessarily NEED that to get the car up and running.

JohnD1079
02-23-2008, 08:19 PM
I know its the last thing I should worry about becasue i cant just get mandrel bent to whatever position i need after the downpipe, im just not gonna drive around with a rusted exhaust for a year or so.