PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Problem??

M4Rl0N
02-22-2008, 11:26 PM
I have a 1990 240sx KA24e 186k miles, i recently replaced my clutch and a week after i started having this problem.

problem:
when i woke up 4 days ago to go to school i got in my car normally to warm it up so i can leave. The only problem was that my car wouldn't turn on. i would turn the key and it would crank but it wouldn't turn on. i have half a tank of gas and i can hear the fuel pump working, but for some reason i think it's a fuel problem because after trying and trying to turn on my car, all i can smell is gas. So today i got home and i check the fuel filter (i have a z32 filter) and it was fine it wasnt clogged or anything. So i check the spark plugs and they looked bad so i changed them to NGK and Gaped them .44 and then i tried turning on my car and then it turned on fine, for about 5 times at that moment. And then i drove down the street and it was fine. So i left it alone, i was satisfied. but as i tried to leave right now to a meet, the same problem started all over again.

I SERCHED!!!! and all i can find is that the fuel pump isn't working...but as I said previous my car did turn on???

Help would be very appreciated!

(if i left any needed info out, please let me know)

Thanks
-Marlon

BigVinnie
02-23-2008, 12:08 AM
How many miles on on your KA24e?
If it is high mileage check your radiator. If there is no coolant in it you could possibly be having hydrostatic lock. This is where coolant enters into the oil pan via the timing chain eating through the coolant passage due to the lack of the tensioner.
Get back to me it could be something else.

M4Rl0N
02-23-2008, 12:19 AM
i always open the radiator cap just because (habit, but not when hot:ugh: )
and i always see the coolant at the top, so yea there coolant

crankshaft
02-23-2008, 12:56 AM
check your plugs again if they are fouled out again it could be your fuel pressure regulator, colant temp sensor, or your ecu is not turning on and off the fuel pump like it should. causing excess fuel to be dumped into the cylinders.

downshift_sideways
02-23-2008, 12:56 AM
umm..So when you turn the key does the car crank? (I'm assuming so)

but you didn't clearly state that in your OP.

Weren't you experiencing somewhat the same problems awhile ago?

M4Rl0N
02-23-2008, 01:09 AM
Crankshaft: ill check that out tomorrow morning, when i took out the spark plugs today it smelled like gas.

Anthony: yes (it was the clutch switch) but this time it cranks but it just wont turn on. it did a couple of times when i changed the spark plugs today, but when i tried going to the meet it was the same problem all over again.

BigVinnie
02-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Could be the coil

M4Rl0N
02-23-2008, 12:57 PM
i heard of way's to test the coil, but im not sure?
vinnie?

crankshaft
02-23-2008, 04:43 PM
pull the fuel pump fuse and take off the coil wire and have a friend crank the car over you should see the spark from the coil to ground.

Howard92884
02-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Is your fuel pump coming on? You should be able to hear it when you turn the key to the on position. You can also pop the fuel hose off the filter and see if any fuel comes squirting out when you turn it on (Beware this will get fuel all over the place). Check that and if it works then thats one thing you can cross of your list. You need air, fuel, and spark, make sure you are getting all 3.

Naim
02-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Your car can be running to rich causing the plugs to foul. Check to see, I don't know exactly what would cause a KA24E to run rich, but I'll get back to you on that.

BigVinnie
02-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Have you ran an ecu diagnostic at all?

M4Rl0N
02-24-2008, 06:50 PM
Have you ran an ecu diagnostic at all?

No i havent
just like 2 week's ago i changed it to an Auto ECU, but it ran after that??

BigVinnie
02-24-2008, 07:03 PM
No i havent
just like 2 week's ago i changed it to an Auto ECU, but it ran after that??

I would run a diagnostic in your situation.

M4Rl0N
02-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Your car can be running to rich causing the plugs to foul. Check to see, I don't know exactly what would cause a KA24E to run rich, but I'll get back to you on that.

Is this possible?
when i was changing the spark plugs i did smell alot of fuel.

OfourTHREEfive
02-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Maybe try going back to the other ECU, perhaps it has a slight short?

M4Rl0N
02-25-2008, 07:28 PM
I went to my car today after i got home from Adult ED and i got in the car and i tried turning it on and it turn on fine. it turn on quick like less than a second, i just turn the key and vroom. But im still not sure if the problem is fixed, because it could be doing it again out the blue and i dont want to get stuck somewere when i turn the car off.

Any Suggestion????

blueshark123
02-25-2008, 08:53 PM
Get aaa so if ur car gets stuck u can get it towed home lol. But being serious the reason why it i think u smelt gas when u first had the problem was becuase after cranking it up so many times u flooded the engine with fuel it sounds alot like a electrical problem and not fuel

M4Rl0N
02-27-2008, 11:10 PM
okay my car turn on fine today, so took it for a test drive in the mountains and sure enough i get pulled over! aint that some shit. but yea i think my car is fixed but i didn't do anything???????

hope it don't mess up on me again
thanks for everyone help!
-Marlon