PDA

View Full Version : Standalone options

SILVIA_KIDs14.5
02-21-2008, 08:23 AM
Ok I'm in the process of trying to figure out what Standalone to go with the Power FC D-jetro by Apexi or the HKS F-CON V Pro anyone have first hand experience on ether would like some PRO's and CON's
any input would be apreicetated
oh ps I am doing a full build up will post picks some time in the future
but for now the mods are as follows a stage 2 jun racing set up with 272 degree cams with 11.5 degree lift. BC over sized valves +1mm, bronze valve guides from JTW, JUN racing adj. cam gears, performance valve seals, Greddy rocker arm stoppers, and Tomei solid pivots.

Thanks in advance.
I did try a search but really didn't come up with anything to easily.

zoomswimmer
02-21-2008, 08:38 AM
How about haltech? I think they are alot better. That's what I'm thinking about getting

reccakun08
02-21-2008, 08:52 AM
For the V Pro, you probably will have to find an authorized HKS tuner to tune it.

scrod
02-21-2008, 08:53 AM
aem ems is the shit i wouldnt get anything else.

Hooorahh!
02-21-2008, 08:53 AM
power fc is the easiest way to go ....
iv heard really good things about haltech .. hit up john griff on here
and me iv used AEM and it was great ....
so its really just knowing who i s going to tune it ... u dont want to buy a power fc when the nearest tuner around u is only good with F-con .. but yeah there all good ecu's

bigOdom1
02-21-2008, 09:04 AM
who is going to tune your car, if the answer is anything other than yourself then ask the person tuning your car what they like

usdm180sx
02-21-2008, 09:18 AM
VPro is the best. It had 32x32 bit resolution maps before anyone else. It also had launch control, nitrous controll and ALL the bells and whistles way before aem came out with their ems. The reason not too many people know about the VPro is because HKS also likes to keep tuning the VPro exclusive so that "Everyone and their mom" won't be able to claim they can "tune" a motor with it.

If you want to tune the motor yourself I'd go with Haltech, then PFC D Jetro, then aem. HKS, Haltech and Apex have more experience as far as making a standalone ems. It's all preference, though.

Modrified
02-21-2008, 09:23 AM
check out Autronic. i heard nothing but great things about them. a lot of SR guys locally run it. and of coarse, got to have someone to tune it.

240trainee
02-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Yea, the best EMS in the world isn't worth shit if no one near you can tune it.

Look into who you are going to have to your work. I bought my motorset from MA-Motorsports, they are PFC dealers and swear by it, and I had a L-Jetro come with my engine. So thats what I'm using. I love the ease of me being able to see all the functions, and I know I have someone to tune it well, and answer my questions if I need help.

So, PFC is a great solution for me. I would recommend it if you have someone to tune it. but from what I hear, tuning it via the commander is a bitch, you really need a tuner who is a PFC dealer and has the cables and software to tune it via a computer.

SILVIA_KIDs14.5
02-21-2008, 01:20 PM
ok thanks guys but i am on the east cost so AEM and Apexi are kind of hard as for the HKS i know a guy in NJ that tunes 1000+hp supras and other imports with it i know a few who swear by it so i'm leaning toward the hks

Koopa Troopa
02-21-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm happy with my Motec M4 minus the fact Motec loves selling me shit and not including anything with what I just paid for...

usdm180sx
02-21-2008, 04:13 PM
I'm happy with my Motec M4 minus the fact Motec loves selling me shit and not including anything with what I just paid for...

I wouldn't be happy about that.

steve shadows
02-21-2008, 04:14 PM
1Power FC (with Data logit tuning)
2Haltech EMS
3AEM EMS

^ Best deal and features + quality and ease of use in order ^

Ive tuned several cars that use all of those. I like the PFC the best for street car setup + it's really affordable and works great if you have the data logit.

Haltech is self-explanitory

AEM is like a goofy toy system, but it works, I just hate the layout and how they try to overcomplicate things to make you feel like your a badass for being able to properly tune the sytem.

HKS F CON = Hope You read Kanji

I hate it

I would rather suggest you buy a Greddy E-Manage than an F-CON, and your a FanBoi for even mentioned because PERSON XYZ made XZY power with XYZ car in your deliberations of decision making in your posts.

usdm180sx
02-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Haha I wonder what you really think about the FCon

steve shadows
02-21-2008, 04:20 PM
I think it's an overpriced joke that only certain shops are able to tune so they pull a monopoly on it and convince scenster easiliy marketed sheep that because their tuner has an asian accent they somehow know what they are doing like some sort of "super" tuning samuri from a secret dojo.

yeah right.

I won't even get into how many shotty tunes this liberal arts major had to fix after going to xyz well known "tuning" shop lately.

usdm180sx
02-21-2008, 04:32 PM
It costs similar to an aem ems but I got both of mine for really cheap and since I can get it tuned straight at HKS it makes sense to me. If I didn't get/have that hookup I'd hit you up for a Haltech. :D I know you gotz tuning skillz no doubt about that

red s14
02-21-2008, 04:43 PM
if your on the east coast there are mass P-FC excel shops. thats what i'm am going to get and going to take it to a excel shop "buschur racing". i'll have them tune it. about 3hrs away. go up during the week and stay while they tune then come home. if i where you the P-FC seems like a good option. but like everyone has said its "who" tunes your car more so then which ecu you pick. just make sure you are comfortable with whoever tunes it.

here is the link of apexi's excel shops located threwout the nation
4 on the east coast for you
http://http://www.apexi-usa.com/dealers_powerexcel.asp

GL

steve shadows
02-21-2008, 05:03 PM
It costs similar to an aem ems but I got both of mine for really cheap and since I can get it tuned straight at HKS it makes sense to me. If I didn't get/have that hookup I'd hit you up for a Haltech. :D I know you gotz tuning skillz no doubt about that

Haltech smaltech

PFC is great too and anyone can tune them including me

Actually I can tune ANYTHING that is in english.

HKS is the only unit that is not.

I know some russian but not kanji

johngriff
02-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Norm do you have a DL for the V-Con Software? Or have a copy you want to share?

steve shadows
02-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Yeah if they have English, German or Spainish software/firmware I can probaly figure it out.

and then I will retract all of my previous mis-givings about the Fcon

SILVIA_KIDs14.5
02-22-2008, 06:04 AM
sorry guys i think i for got to mention that this will be a strictly tracked car for drag if this makes a difference let me know

corriganjoshua
02-22-2008, 06:44 AM
So far ive heard nothing but the best for haltech, i would go with it

steve shadows
02-22-2008, 09:56 AM
If it's mostly a track car with big mods, definitely Haltech.

very fast to make changes, adjustments track side, infinite features including a new ignition and fuel adaptive Anti-Lag that came out updated with the latest firmware/software.

That means you can tune out or adjust turbo lag :bow: :rawk:

With the press of a button, either under the clutch pedal or on the steering wheel.

SILVIA_KIDs14.5
02-22-2008, 10:29 AM
If it's mostly a track car with big mods, definitely Haltech.

very fast to make changes, adjustments track side, infinite features including a new ignition and fuel adaptive Anti-Lag that came out updated with the latest firmware/software.

That means you can tune out or adjust turbo lag :bow: :rawk:

With the press of a button, either under the clutch pedal or on the steering wheel.
ok good looking very nice to know what system do you recomend for haltech?
now just need someone that knows how to tune it if anyone on the eastcoast knows hit me up

steve shadows
02-22-2008, 10:39 AM
E8 is all you really need.

E6X is ok too but you have to run wasted ignition

SILVIA_KIDs14.5
02-22-2008, 10:51 AM
ok thanks now i just need to find a tuner for it

red s14
02-22-2008, 02:35 PM
get steve a one way flight to the east coast.:rawk: lol

Brian W.
02-22-2008, 02:40 PM
We tune and recomend the following...

-Electromotive Tec GT or Tec3R
-Apexi Power FC
-Haltech

assuming you have someone competent tuning your system you cant go wrong with any of those.

steve shadows
02-22-2008, 02:40 PM
People still use TEC?

Barf

Brian W.
03-31-2008, 01:25 AM
People still use TEC?

Barf

still use Tec? what was the last version you used?