PDA

View Full Version : need ADVICE

nissanman22
02-20-2008, 02:52 PM
i have a 240sx and would like to get a performance exhaust that is legal. i have a freeflow one but here in canada its illegal.. i get caught about twice a year at 151 bucks a shot. in canada the exhaust can be modified as long as it has baffles in the can. the police check by inserting a tape in the hole.. if it goes for about more than 20 inches your screwed. i was wondering if anyone knew where to get an exhaust that is legal but will not restrict air flow like a stock exhaust. i know i can go the legit way by purchasing an exhaust from a performance division of a car company but thats very expensive up here.. does nismo make anything in the states.. what about hks etc

Driftapparel.com
02-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Hmmm well you should actually be able to go to your local muffler shop and have the guy rig something for that stupid test the cops do. If you really need something unrestricted (like if your boosted) then I would go for some kind of electronic cutout. Either, way back so it's not annoying loud or in the traditional downpipe spot (but it's obviously extremely loud)

The nice thing about being electronic though is that you can switch from legal to completely unrestricted by the flip of a switch! The E-cutouts
(Y-pipe) are reletively inexpensive as well, from about $60-$90.

Hopefully this helps even slightly...

SlideWell
02-20-2008, 03:04 PM
wtf? ive never heard of this test you describe. damn. misa told me montreal is great too. pfft. look at the bright side, at least you have healthcare covered. at any rate, pay the money for carb legal if you keep getting shit. on the other hand, if people are getting away with non legal shit, follow the crowd. up to you if you want to ride above the law and risk things of that nature. some of us do, some of us dont.

sr20boostn20
02-20-2008, 03:05 PM
stuff a little steel wool in there so the stick doent go that far in?

seems simple enough to work.

may result in slight power loss.

ROUGE180
02-20-2008, 03:35 PM
The nice thing about being electronic though is that you can switch from legal to completely unrestricted by the flip of a switch! The E-cutouts

A good friend of mine actually has one of these on his Celica Alltrak and it's amazing. As Driftapparel noted, with the flip of a switch, you can go from in your face to super sleeper.

nissanman22
02-22-2008, 08:41 AM
Hmmm well you should actually be able to go to your local muffler shop and have the guy rig something for that stupid test the cops do. If you really need something unrestricted (like if your boosted) then I would go for some kind of electronic cutout. Either, way back so it's not annoying loud or in the traditional downpipe spot (but it's obviously extremely loud)

can you explain this electronic cut off.. i know what it is but how would i go about installing it ??

Beebo
02-22-2008, 10:53 AM
just have your exhaust go into a Y pipe. one side of the Y is just your exhaust going to the back of your car. The other side of the Y is just the cutout. basically an electronic butterfly valve. when its closed all the exhaust is directed through your muffler. when its open, its like an open exhaust(Loud). any muffler shop should be able to install it for yah.

nissanman22
02-24-2008, 05:55 PM
just have your exhaust go into a Y pipe. one side of the Y is just your exhaust going to the back of your car. The other side of the Y is just the cutout. basically an electronic butterfly valve. when its closed all the exhaust is directed through your muffler. when its open, its like an open exhaust(Loud). any muffler shop should be able to install it for yah.

thanks for the heads up