PDA

View Full Version : rpm help

d0pe240
02-20-2008, 11:40 AM
this has happened for about 3 weeks now, the problem is whenever i drive and put the car in neutral (the car is still rolling) the rpms goes up and stays between 1000-1800, but not up and down like a rough idle. for example, i am in 3rd gear, put it in neutral (still rolling), the rpm goes to 1500 and stays there for like 4 seconds or until i stop or put it back in gear. When i stop the rpm goes back down to around 720 like normal. sometimes when i am waiting at a stop light the idle comes down to 850 but it stays there and sometimes it bounces like -25/+25 rpm more from the 850. is it a vacum leak??? i searched, but didnt see any threads similar to my problem. also when i change gears, its like a hesitation or a lack of power after i get into gear. please help, thanks!

MrFairlady
02-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Thats what it sounds like.Mines doing something of the opposite.

When I put in Neutral while rolling the RPMS drop Big time (power steering gets tight - if turning) and wants to idle @ like 300-400rpms..then kind of goes back up to 700-800rpms.It won't die but did one time when I was making a U-turn in Neutral before gassing.
Car use to die last year interm - but a tech told me to tap the MAF and sure enough...the car would sputter etc.COuld Be IAC..not sure but teh SR is going in,in a week or 2.
I believe mines the MAFS...but could be no Vac.

SOunds about right though.What motor is it?

d0pe240
02-20-2008, 07:15 PM
i got a s13 ka24de, forgot to metion that. i went to mess with it after posting this and just made sure the connectors were tight. then went for a test drive, it did it about two times, then after that the rpms were steady. but ill see if it happens again tomorrow. i was goin to check the maf, but got caught up. probably do that tomrrow. your problem kinda sounds like mines without it wanting to die tho. i see that your from charlotte, are you goin to greensboro this saturday? theres an drift practice.