PDA

View Full Version : Welded Diff Q

s13boy89
02-20-2008, 01:08 AM
i noticed that welded diff cars are alot harder to push, i was wondering if this has a affect on the power of the car?

SC_S13
02-20-2008, 01:39 AM
you worried about going slower with a welded diff car? id be more worried about keeping your grip on turns if you dont have a calculated foot. no matter what tire you run, you're going to burn thru em fast and have no problem loosing that traction. i have one on my coupe right now, and ive never been more scared of the hwy 9 twisties in my life lol

JeremyR
02-20-2008, 02:28 AM
i've got a welded, its not scary at all. just learn how to drive with it. i've done hwy 9 many times with the welded, its actually very predictable. very shitty for DD, but for "spirited" driving it grips quite nice, and you can feel when it starts to slide out

womenbeshoppin
02-20-2008, 02:49 AM
you worried about going slower with a welded diff car? id be more worried about keeping your grip on turns if you dont have a calculated foot. no matter what tire you run, you're going to burn thru em fast and have no problem loosing that traction. i have one on my coupe right now, and ive never been more scared of the hwy 9 twisties in my life lol

you ever get a alignment?

kouki_s14
02-20-2008, 02:52 AM
i noticed that welded diff cars are alot harder to push, i was wondering if this has a affect on the power of the car?

It's harder to push because you're fighting the friction of two wheels instead of one. Try pushing a 4WD car and you will understand.

GotDriftS14
02-20-2008, 04:15 AM
i'm kinda wondering what he means by "harder to push"? usually when i hear of a car that's "pushing" i'm thinking understeer. and yeah, a welded diff would certainly make the car harder to push into understeer (not that you would wanna do that, right?).

if you mean that it becomes more difficult to drive at the limit, well that could be true too, but i think the reason most people would weld a diff is either to get more traction for drag racing, or to force more oversteer for getting sideways. so you should know what you're getting into when creating a car that's gonna resist "pushing" and behave in a much different manner compared to how it was before the diff was welded.

it's definitely not a natural motion for the car. when turning, generally your outside wheel has more distance to cover, thus the need for a differential to allow both wheels to rotate at different speeds. by welding it, you are basically taking away the ability of the differential to perform its natural job. it's not gonna affect the horsepower, but it is going to affect the balance and feel of the car around turns, especially in the tight twisties.

if you are referring to breaking traction around turns, then it's going to be much more difficult compared to before because you are basically doubling the amount of grip that you had, making the engine struggle more to break the tires loose under accelleration. in a normal (open) diff, the power will be diverted to the side with the least traction, and when one wheel starts to slip, it's going to receive all of the power because it becomes the path of least resistance. in a welded diff, there is no path of least resistance since both sides are permanently joined. you're either gonna have both tires break loose, or just bog down from the increased amount of grip. so if you want to power-oversteer, then it would take a bit more torque to do so. but once the oversteer is created, it's going to behave more predictably than a car with an open diff once you get used to it, since you won't have any unexpected shifts in power to the rear wheels.

hopefully that sorta sums it up.

short answer: does welding the diff have an effect on the power of the car? no.

DohcKA
02-20-2008, 05:30 AM
welded diffs chirp all day.. even when you dont want it to haha.... booohooooo

McRussellPants
02-20-2008, 10:13 AM
he's really stupid and hes talking about it being harder to push around the shop.

240truk
02-20-2008, 10:19 AM
haha!^^ thats what I was thinking but wasnt sure. and yes its a pain in the ass trying to push them. I have 4 broken down 240s right now 3 with welded diffs. Pain in the ass to keep switching them around to bring others into the garage!

Onitsukagirl
02-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Shimming a viscous is fun and when the shims wear out it wont lock up, you just have to take it apart and put new ones in, very cheap... :) My memory of how to do it is a little rough, I'd like to find a write up on it. Anyone here know what i'm talking about?

Beebo
02-20-2008, 09:41 PM
i have a welded diff in my car and i could be more unhappy with it. going to switch to a vlsd here shortly.

SC_S13
02-20-2008, 09:49 PM
true, the alignment on the rear absolutely blows so that probably has a factor in it. but on rainy days, its scary

M11's
02-17-2010, 08:50 PM
but on rainy days, its scary

stop being a puss. don't run with one if your trying not to slide

Iron_Zenki
02-17-2010, 09:13 PM
I have been debating on doing this for a long time I hate practicing drifting with my gay ass open diff but my car is a DD and I travel a pretty far distance for school so its either get another DD or screw it weld the sucker

ericcastro
02-17-2010, 09:19 PM
stop being a puss. don't run with one if your trying not to slide
stop being a puss, and stop bumping 2 year old threads, lol
;)

fckillerbee
02-17-2010, 09:59 PM
stop being a puss, and stop bumping 2 year old threads, lol
;)

lol...yeah....and when the car kicks out....pin the fucker to the floor.....never forget my first 3rd gear drift onramp in the rain...wasn't my choice, but once it was sideways, my ka had 1000whp lol

dsastr_clan
02-23-2010, 05:11 PM
i have a welded diff and i love it!! i dont really mind it sometimes my bro has one of those expensive helix diff and he says it feels pretty much the same to mine, the only thing that suxs really bad about it is that i go thru tires so fast!! seriously i have to switch tires every 2 to 3 weeks.

PNgo12
02-23-2010, 05:24 PM
i have an open diff and i love it!! i dont really mind it sometimes my bro has one of those expensive helix diff and he says it feels pretty much the same to mine, the only thing that suxs really bad about it is that i go thru tires so fast!! seriously i have to switch tires every 2 to 3 weeks.

you have an OPEN diff and youre killing tires every 2 or three weeks?

dsastr_clan
02-23-2010, 05:45 PM
you have an OPEN diff and youre killing tires every 2 or three weeks?

lol i edited it

DrifTGeeK510
02-23-2010, 06:05 PM
lol i have a weldy and don't go through tires that fast and i commute damn near 150 miles a day for work. i guess its the car or alignment or maybe tires idk but yea if your scared dont get one but most people who have em enjoy them

I ENJOY MINE EVERY WEEKEND lol

deukalionS14
02-24-2010, 01:00 PM
I have a welded too adn i really dont mind it to tell you the truth. I changed by suspension setting a little and it SEEMS to help with the turning in the twisties a little but yeah i dont feel 100% confident when i take a turn at high speed. gotta be easy on the gas lol.
also, never really had a problem in the rain at all either. but then again i dont drive like an idiot

repda916
02-24-2010, 08:06 PM
i like the fact of having my wheel turned all the way to the lock position and watching someone try and move my car when i have a welded. ..doesnt really work out.