PDA

View Full Version : Same old story...

kafanylovesme
02-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Pulling up the 32 and 41 codes on my 1990 SOHC hatch. I replaced the EGR with a brand new one and I'm wondering why it would still throw that code out. I've searched and found several things like checking the vacuum hoses and what not. I was wondering what else should I check? And as far as the 41 goes, what should I look for exactly? I know it's the air temp sensor and I checked that it's plugged in and everything. Any help is appreciated.

kafanylovesme
02-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Come on! I need to get smogged already! Anyone know where I can get smogged? I'm tired of not figuring out this damn problem! Helppp.

kafanylovesme
02-19-2008, 05:42 PM
Anyone?
msglngth

KingKong8247
02-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Maybe the air temp sensor needs to be cleaned? Try maf cleaner on it.

Don't know for sure but its a start

Also I passed without the EGR (and most of my other emission stuff) but that is in NJ

kafanylovesme
02-20-2008, 12:48 AM
I'll try that first thing tomorrow. Yeah Cali sucks ass when it comes to emissions! Anyone else?

idlafie
02-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Get ahold of a Factory Service Manual, (FSM). You should be able to find a link here on ZILVIA to download one for free. Once you download the FSM, use it to trace your vacuum lines to 1). make sure they are not leaking & 2), make sure they are connected properly. If the vacuum lines are not leaking and are hooked up correctly, then make sure you have vacuum running to the two solenoids that are behind the motor between the motor & the firewall, on the driver side of the motor, (you'll need a vacuum gauge & some plugs to test the vacuum). Those two solenoids control vacuum going to your butterfly valve inside the intake manifold & to the BPT valve which controls your EGR vacuum. Getting to those two soleniods are a ROYAL pain in the ass!!! You might have to remove your valve cover to make it simpler.

Anyhow, follow the procedure listed in the FSM on how to test those soleniods. When you apply voltage to those solenoids, you should here the solenoids click & be able to blow air thru them. If you DON"T hear them clicking when you apply voltage, then it's possible that the soleniods have gone bad...you'll have to replace them.

I learned all this stuff from a friend while I was helping him with his smog issues.

Hope this helps...
ID

kafanylovesme
02-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Ahhh thanks a lot man! I'll try this out first thing tomorrow. Gotta go buy a vacuum gauge. Thanks a lot man! +rep!