PDA

View Full Version : just install my stance!!!

nicku
02-14-2008, 10:48 PM
hey guys...I want to share this with you. I just installed my stance gr+ today . hehe....finally, after 4 months having blown struts in the front. I have finally got some nice suspension. But somehow, after i installed it. I went for a test drive. when I turn the steering wheel with the car stop and slow speed, everything is perfect. but when I go for a little more speed. i would say 30 miles perhour. when I turn the steering wheel to the right to take corner. Its got some weird noise. And it happens only when I turn to right. Do you guys have any idea what's going on? its kinda like some kind of clunk sound. when I turn to the left. nothing happens. The car is riding really nice. But its just the clunk sound bogging me. I have searched on the forum. Stance had some issue with their pillow mount before. But I made sure with the advertiser already, they said these are the new version. What would that be then?

Jung918
02-14-2008, 10:52 PM
search. there have been complaints about the the stance coilovers.

BusBOy
02-14-2008, 10:52 PM
I'm sorry to hear but I hope you get it fix, and when you do and if your into getting sideways stiff that bitch up and do the bizzz.. feel me

LongGrain
02-14-2008, 10:55 PM
make sure your top nuts and camber plate bolts are tight, and make sure you adjust your preload accordingly.

Kouki
02-14-2008, 10:55 PM
Make sure the big nut at the top of it is tight, the one on the pillow ball mount.

Dousan_PG
02-14-2008, 10:57 PM
get an alignment asap
itll handle like shit until you do too!

and that top camber plate bolt comes loose on most coilovers
my teins did
my tanabe DD did
my stance do
the jics did.

part of maintenance with aftermarket parts. its easy!

LongGrain
02-14-2008, 11:00 PM
quick question though, whats a good way to tighten that top nut...if you just put a wrench on it, the shock will just turn. is there a trick to it?

Dousan_PG
02-14-2008, 11:01 PM
use the spanner wrench to hold top inside the wheel well
the top above the spring is the same type of setup as the perches on coilovers
thats ur best bet

for stance, i think the shock piston top is fit for a wrench.
i cant remmber off hand. havnet done it in a while since i impacted them on

oh ues the spanner wrench:

http://stance-usa.com/images/lg_sport.jpg

u ca nsee above the spring the indentations for the spanner wrench

D1GP
02-14-2008, 11:03 PM
quick question though, whats a good way to tighten that top nut...if you just put a wrench on it, the shock will just turn. is there a trick to it?

take off the wheel, jam the spanner wrench on the upmost perch to where it will kind of be wedged and keep the shock from spinning. then tighten the top. or gently use an impact.

nicku
02-14-2008, 11:04 PM
for the top nut, is there any torque spec on it? what about the three bolts on the top to hold the coilover? do they also have torque on them?

LongGrain
02-14-2008, 11:05 PM
cool, i'll have to check that out next time i go home.

ive heard its also not safe to impact that nut, but i'm assuming thats false?

D1GP
02-14-2008, 11:07 PM
for the top nut, is there any torque spec on it? what about the three bolts on the top to hold the coilover? do they also have torque on them?

stance recommnds 55 ft lbs.

D1GP
02-14-2008, 11:07 PM
cool, i'll have to check that out next time i go home.

ive heard its also not safe to impact that nut, but i'm assuming thats false?

its safe as long as you dont give it too much zip.

nicku
02-14-2008, 11:09 PM
55lbs is for the three bolts or the top center one? i torqued 55lbs for the three bolts, but i didnt do on the top center one

D1GP
02-14-2008, 11:13 PM
55lbs is for the three bolts or the top center one? i torqued 55lbs for the three bolts, but i didnt do on the top center one

top center is 55. i just zapped those three with an impact.

1985zcar
02-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Hey while we're talking about Stance's making noise...I installed mine a week or two ago, and I have a noise from the rear that sounds like something is loose...always happens when I'm on bumpy roads, etc...sounds like something is bouncing up and down...I've checked the strut mounts and the main bolt in the center and none were loose....any ideas?

LongGrain
02-14-2008, 11:15 PM
Hey while we're talking about Stance's making noise...I installed mine a week or two ago, and I have a noise from the rear that sounds like something is loose...always happens when I'm on bumpy roads, etc...sounds like something is bouncing up and down...I've checked the strut mounts and the main bolt in the center and none were loose....any ideas?

i have that same noise, i kinda just thought it was becasue of the stiffness.

ive checked and everything is always tight..

D1GP
02-14-2008, 11:18 PM

try taking preload off or add some.

1985zcar
02-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Yeah I just haven't really been worrying about it, it's just kind of annoying.

Might be noob but could you explain preload to me? ha

LongGrain
02-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Yeah I just haven't really been worrying about it, it's just kind of annoying.

Might be noob but could you explain preload to me? ha

preload is how much tension you put on the spring. if you keep threading the collar up, it will compress the spring, that is preload.

1985zcar
02-14-2008, 11:32 PM
Oh...so should the spring be compressed? Or just tight? Maybe mine's loose and free to move up and down when the suspension is unloaded on a bump...

D1GP
02-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Oh...so should the spring be compressed? Or just tight? Maybe mine's loose and free to move up and down when the suspension is unloaded on a bump...

you might just want to tighten it up a tad. wouldnt hurt.

nicku
02-15-2008, 12:02 AM
well.....for mine, when i took them out from the box, the springs were tight and not moving at all....should i still preload them? i assuem they were already preloaded. because i could not move them at all

98koukile
02-15-2008, 12:14 AM
Your strength and the weight of a car and very seperate things

5t341tH
02-15-2008, 12:16 AM
on my apexi, the front right makes those clunk noises on bumps as well. i look at the top nut but it seems fine, not loose at all. and its preloaded just a tad.

nicku
02-15-2008, 12:20 AM
how do i know my preload is too tight or too loose?

gprb25
02-15-2008, 09:08 AM

I think you need to check your subframe bushings. Try to "rock" the car, and listen for the clunk. Good thing that's easy to fix/repair.

beetlejuice
02-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Clunking from the front end could be factory tension rods that can't take the abuse from stiffer coilovers.

If you still have the stock tension rods on your car, look to see if the bushing is torn and if the goo is leaking out.

Mine did that I heard a clunking sound from my left front during turns, bumps, etc.

ROUGE180
02-15-2008, 01:34 PM
When I first got mine about 5 months ago, they ran fine. No sounds and no issues. Then about 3 months ago the springs started binding. Clunk clunk.. and the springy sound when turning. It just got worse and worse. The could on the drivers side front lowered itself all the way down. I was like wtf. I wrote to stance and told them about my issue. They sent me some new camber plates free and that fixed the issue. Perfect ride height and now strange sounds anymore. My boy had the same issues with the stance gr+ which is what I have. From what I was told, the first batch of Stance GR+ coilovers where on the money. The camber plates on the later models where the ones with the issues.

Suspension wise, everything I have is stock except for the coils. I'm no suspension guru so just telling you what happened to me. My boy helped me with putting them on and setting them up.

Nismo2Forty
02-15-2008, 02:20 PM

Basically you want to loosen the preload collar until its free, and start from scratch. Tighten it by hand until it is snug, and then do around 3-5 complete turns. That should be a good start for proper preload, although some people like to do more.

nicku
02-15-2008, 02:59 PM
can i do when the coilovers are on the car?

D1GP
02-15-2008, 03:19 PM
can i do when the coilovers are on the car?

yes, you can.

nicku
02-15-2008, 03:56 PM
so as soon as the ring touched the spring, and I just need to tight it about 3 or 4 more rounds? what's the pros and cons about tighting the preload too much or too loose

Nismo2Forty
02-15-2008, 06:15 PM

so as soon as the ring touched the spring, and I just need to tight it about 3 or 4 more rounds? what's the pros and cons about tighting the preload too much or too loose

Too loose, you'll here it when you drive, preload is pressure on the spring, so if there isnt any, the spring will move, and you'll not only here it messing up your coilovers, but the car will feel like crap.

Too tight, the ride will be extremely bouncy

super240sx7185
02-15-2008, 09:35 PM
The popping noises could be the ball joint on the lower arm, mine was making popping noises because they were so wore so i replaced them no more noises.

nicku
02-17-2008, 09:37 PM
i just installed mine rears yesterday. and it happened to have clunk sounds whenever I go on bumpy road. It sounds like something is loose. I did not add any preload since the springs were already tight when I took them out from the box. But today I tried to add some preload. And it is still making the sound. I've checked all the bolts. nothing is loose. Any idea? Should I reduce the preload see if it is getting better or what should i do?

s13silvia123
02-17-2008, 09:41 PM
i just installed mine rears yesterday. and it happened to have clunk sounds whenever I go on bumpy road. It sounds like something is loose. I did not add any preload since the springs were already tight when I took them out from the box. But today I tried to add some preload. And it is still making the sound. I've checked all the bolts. nothing is loose. Any idea? Should I reduce the preload see if it is getting better or what should i do?

its like that its the helper srpings or whatever its called again is making that noise. its alrite doesnt do anything mine only does that when i hit bumpy ass roads.

LongGrain
02-17-2008, 09:44 PM
its like that its the helper srpings or whatever its called again is making that noise. its alrite doesnt do anything mine only does that when i hit bumpy ass roads.

i dont think he has the model with helper springs, but i do, and i still have the problem. what would make helpers make that noise?

nicku
02-17-2008, 09:44 PM
whats helper spring? where does it locate?

nicku
02-17-2008, 09:46 PM
i dont have helper springs on mine. mine is gr+ not gr+ pro

genericforumname
02-17-2008, 10:44 PM
sounds like what my old mazda did, if its the same then its a steering bushing (cant remember which one, its fwd) just get some urethane bushings or find a stock one somewhere.

PhAtXSuMo
02-17-2008, 10:52 PM
pm Kwonza_Says he installed his Stance GR+Pro as well, i believe he had the same problem but fixed it

marcencar
02-17-2008, 10:53 PM
to stop the clunking, tighten the top bolt where the dampener is at. But you need to make sure the the coilover body doesnt spin when you impact the bolt.
What we did was take out the coilover that was clunking and used vice grips and secured the grips under the plate so when we impacted, the bolt tightened and not spin.

s13silvia123
02-17-2008, 10:54 PM
i dont have helper springs on mine. mine is gr+ not gr+ pro

its the same from what i was told just with the helper springs

Nismo2Forty
02-18-2008, 01:40 PM
that sucks your having so many problems, i've only heard these problems with stance...

Keep trying different things, or send them back

nicku
02-18-2008, 03:26 PM
i did measure the top of the spring to the bottom of the springs in the back....the distance between the top and the bottom is 7.5 in. should i add more?

nicku
02-18-2008, 08:09 PM
so today i check all the nuts...and they were all tight. the top one is torqued as it should. tried to play with the preload and it didnt help. finally my friend sat in the back and tried to feel the pillowball mount....and whenever i went on the bump, the pillowball goes up and down. is it normal?

marcencar
02-18-2008, 09:43 PM
thats why you impact the top bolt by the dampener.

if you didnt already try, go and do what i said a few post up. I have

a good feeling it will stop the clunking

Edit: top bolt by dampener should spin freely unless you try to use a spanner or vice grips

to hold the actual coilover.

nicku
02-18-2008, 11:43 PM
i actually impacted the top nut but i dunno whether or not it is enough...i dont want to over-do it also, you know? how many threads should it left after i impact it?

LongGrain
02-18-2008, 11:51 PM
do you have threads showing above the nut? because the top of my strut is WAY receded in the nut, i need to tighten it bad.

GSXRJJordan
02-19-2008, 01:08 AM
Lol @ "I've only heard this problem with Stance". Loose top bolts will cause any coilover to rattle like that, as will a loose subframe or seriously chunked out bushings.

Anyone having this problem should start troubleshooting here, all the answers are listed.

1985zcar
02-19-2008, 06:38 AM
I think he meant he's only heard of all the rattling problems from Stance...I had Tein HA's before I put my Stance's in and they never made noise at all.

nicku
02-19-2008, 06:42 PM
should i really impact the top rear nuts??? how do i know how tight its gonna be?

GSXRJJordan
02-20-2008, 03:10 PM
^^^ It's much safer to hold the top of the coils with a spanner wrench and torque the top nut to ~50lbs. If you've never impacted anything before (or if you take it to someone who normally does wheels/dumb shit/etc), its really easy to get a couple hundred ft-lbs on there. If you do impact it, wait for a 'bite' (when the shock doesn't move, but the nut does), and be done.

D1GP
02-20-2008, 05:03 PM
should i really impact the top rear nuts??? how do i know how tight its gonna be?

the rear nuts im not sure what you need to tighten to but they dont look to be much being how much for smaller it is. you may want to contact stance.

nicku
02-25-2008, 07:34 PM
i called stance, and they asked me to take pictures of the rear pillowball mounts, and now they decided to send me new ones.
but now when I do low speed turns, the car has memory steers, and during the turns, the fronts have loud springy sound.....any idea? is it because the coilover is still new?? or how can I solve it?

P.S. I got some negtive feedback on this thread and the comment is "FOB".
I mean....what the hell.....what's wrong being an FOB? You think your english is good, so what? This is the car forum. Not language forum. I know the language is very important while you are explaining the problem. But, you do not need to give negtive feedback, do you? Stop being such an ass!!

pbcstylez
02-26-2008, 12:32 PM
memory steers sounds to be the common problem with front camber plates on stances

nicku
02-26-2008, 12:35 PM
just called touge factory....and they are sending me the new ones

LongGrain
02-26-2008, 12:36 PM
hey, i just realized your a clubFR member, hope to see you at DDAY April 5th!

nicku
02-26-2008, 12:53 PM
yeah...i will be there for sure, even it snows!!!!....and the track looks so damn awesome!!!!

Nismo2Forty
02-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Lol @ "I've only heard this problem with Stance". Loose top bolts will cause any coilover to rattle like that, as will a loose subframe or seriously chunked out bushings.

Anyone having this problem should start troubleshooting here, all the answers are listed.

LOL on not understanding... i thought we were way past on the loose top bolts, we moved onto preload, both didn't stop the sound.

Yes, only stance has more problems from the manufacturer other than ksport.

4bangers
02-27-2008, 03:31 AM
wow, sounds like stance is having a real issue here. I'm about to order a set of GR+ but seeing how many people having trouble, I might have to go with powerbymax coil.

Did anyone at all got their problem fix?

amp2345
04-01-2008, 07:40 PM
i just got a set of GR+pros and they clunk like a bitch in the back. nut is as tight as it could be but pillowball still has play in it.

i cant help but blame peopel tho switch springs before they sent it out to me as pillowball can get damaged if nut is overtorqued.

anyway i am suppose to be getting new set of pillowball mounts in the mail this week. if it does not fix it i am doing what i can to get a refund.

not something i'd expect after i paid nearly 1300 for a damn set of coilovers

O yeah, is it jsut me or do you get nothign but ring tones when you call stance? Those assholes never pick up the damn phone!

nicku
04-01-2008, 08:07 PM
oh...I have been waiting for my rear pillowball mounts since I got the stance which was early Feb. Rob at tougefactory is a nice guy but somehow he never sent out my mounts. Until Yesterday I called Scott at tougefactory....It was already sent out yesterday. Dont call stance, Call tougefactory and talk to Scott

and I have same problem like you....the rear mounts clunk like end of the world. And I talked to Scott about it....he said probably they have around 15-20 sets have this problem. And they are willing to replace them for users

amp2345
04-02-2008, 05:24 AM
oh...I have been waiting for my rear pillowball mounts since I got the stance which was early Feb. Rob at tougefactory is a nice guy but somehow he never sent out my mounts. Until Yesterday I called Scott at tougefactory....It was already sent out yesterday. Dont call stance, Call tougefactory and talk to Scott

i got mine from Thmotorsports, Adam has been really easy to work with i just hope he sent it out yestarday like he promised...

anybody know if this is a problem what may come up again or is it jsut a one time fix for a defective part from factory ... bad batch maybe?

TurboNetic05
04-02-2008, 07:27 AM
ya, make sure the spring perch is nice and tight. Mine comes loose sometimes and makes a "ting" noise when i turn the wheel.

nicku
04-10-2008, 09:47 PM
i got mine and my friend's pillowball mounts...and replaced them....no more sound....the ball in the middle of our mounts were really really loose.....maybe thats the problem. but now no more sound

GSXRJJordan
04-10-2008, 11:46 PM
i got mine and my friend's pillowball mounts...and replaced them....no more sound....the ball in the middle of our mounts were really really loose.....maybe thats the problem. but now no more sound

Glad you guys got your problem fixed, with good support from Togue Factory. :2f2f:

amp2345
04-11-2008, 10:26 AM
i just replaced my mounts as well and it took care of the noise. the balls were really loose :keke: so i am not surprised they were so noisy

300hp owen
04-11-2008, 10:38 AM
loose BALLS?!@???

lol.