PDA

View Full Version : overheating question

sldbyuramg
02-13-2008, 12:03 AM
i have a 91 240 with a 93 KA in it and when i bought the car the clutch fan was broken (constant fan) but the belts would squeel at around 3k rpm. so i ditched the broken fan and got an electric fan, installed it and tested it out. all of a sudden my gauge shoots up to H so i shut the car off and check to see if the fan was installed correctly...it was. so i go back home and take my clutch fan off my 90 hatch and use it to keep things cool, that fan works. but now with the electronic fan, and a properly working clutch fan my car is overheating at a stop.

before you ask yes the fan is in front of the radiator and it is "pushing"

my question is what does anyone suggest the next step i should take?

kamikazekid
02-13-2008, 12:06 AM
Im thinking thermostat.

waystlandremy
02-13-2008, 12:08 AM
i was thinking the same thing...mine had the same problem i took it out...takes alot longer to warm up, but its cool...keeps everything cool

sldbyuramg
02-13-2008, 12:11 AM
Im thinking thermostat.

ill swap that out tomorrow and see if that solves the problem. definately should help either way

rhs13
02-13-2008, 12:16 AM
dont forget to check the blinker fluid levels.

sldbyuramg
02-13-2008, 12:16 AM
i was thinking the same thing...mine had the same problem i took it out...takes alot longer to warm up, but its cool...keeps everything cool

wait...you just took out the thermostat? ive never heard of someone doing that. i figured you meant replace it with a new one of a colder temp one...

rhs13
02-13-2008, 12:18 AM
wait...you just took out the thermostat? ive never heard of someone doing that. i figured you meant replace it with a new one of a colder temp one...

lots of people do that. not the best thing to do, but it does solve the overheating problem if it is stuck shut.

sldbyuramg
02-13-2008, 12:21 AM
dont forget to check the blinker fluid levels.

ya sure buddy. this is my first nissan and first Naturally aspirated car so im a lil confused as to why im having issues keeping this car cool when for the past 7 years i have been running 21lbs of boost in both my GSX and my Evo for the past 3 and i had no issues whatsoever with overtemp...please post your lame suggestions on someone elses thread...

thanks for the positive feedback for those who are giving it.

rhs13
02-13-2008, 12:34 AM
ya sure buddy. this is my first nissan and first Naturally aspirated car so im a lil confused as to why im having issues keeping this car cool when for the past 7 years i have been running 21lbs of boost in both my GSX and my Evo for the past 3 and i had no issues whatsoever with overtemp...please post your lame suggestions on someone elses thread...

thanks for the positive feedback for those who are giving it.

the intention wasnt to insult anybody's car know-how. for that i apologize.

welcome to the nissan world of lame 240 drivers. lighten up a bit.

sldbyuramg
02-13-2008, 12:40 AM
the intention wasnt to insult anybody's car know-how. for that i apologize.

welcome to the nissan world of lame 240 drivers. lighten up a bit.

ya i can see you were just having a lil fun...just this site gets kinda crazy with people flaming others and such and this bieng my first thread on here im a lil on edge.

and honestly the 240 is the funnest car i have driven...bold statement when i had a 342 whp evo8 and a 387 whp GSX... something about the feel of RWD is pretty tite.
anyway no harsh feeling have a great day

rhs13
02-13-2008, 01:01 AM
this site gets kinda crazy with people flaming others and such

i couldnt agree with this more. some people on here think theyre entitled to be jerks because they have a bazillion posts and have been on zilvia since the 90s.

IRN
02-13-2008, 03:00 AM
fan size and cfm?

kamikazekid
02-13-2008, 03:12 AM
dude i've been through two thermostats in two weeks, and i finally hollowed one out and my car runs great i just let in warm up to op. temp and it holds it once i get going. I have altima fans on a non regulated switch and it does the job. I have a slow leak in the headgasket though, witch leeks bubbles into the coolant, thats why i took it out. otherwise i recomend leaving it in for gasmileage and everyday driving reasons.

mnmax
02-13-2008, 03:26 AM
since you got the clutch fan in there with the eletric, i would have to suggest changing your thermostat. also a quick question here... whenever it starts to over heat, does your overflow tank fill to the top? if so then i would also suggest you change the radiator cap in conjunction with the thermo and consider having a system flush. also pull the belt off and spin the water pump by hand to feel for any stiffness, play, or grinding just as a precaution because you have been heating it up and something could have failed on it.

well that's all i got for now...good luck let me know how it turns out

ldaigle0
02-13-2008, 04:39 AM
You may not want to hear this but perhaps you should look for symptoms of a blown head gasket. Does your car lose coolant quickly? Does the coolant in your radiator bubble when the car is on and the radiator cap is off? Does the oil on your dipstick appear white in color? Do you see white smoke/steam coming out of your exhaust pipe long after your car is warmed up? These are the signs of a blown head gasket.

Also I don’t personally like the design of the 240’s where the thermostat is on the bottom radiator hose. Nearly every other car I have seen has the thermostat on the top where it opens to let hot coolant out of the engine and into the radiator. On the 240 it’s on the bottom hose so the coolant that comes out of the bottom of the radiator opens it to get drawn into the pump when it gets hot enough (or something like that). When my car was overheating and I went through two other thermostats I took out one of the rubber seals on my stock thermostat. This way the thermostat always flows a little and when it gets hot it opens more. I also have a Koyo aluminum radiator and an electric fan which has kept my engine cool for years.

S14DB
02-13-2008, 06:12 AM
Maybe your clutch fan wasn't broke but the Water Pump attached to it is.

sldbyuramg
02-13-2008, 06:56 AM
great input...thanks guys ill check on all of those and see whats going on

punxva
02-13-2008, 07:09 AM
also i didnt read all through the BS of this, but is your system bled properly, if you have any air bubbles in it, it will shoot up to high once it hits it

sldbyuramg
02-13-2008, 06:05 PM
fan size and cfm?

its a 14 inch spal...dont know the CFM..probably need 2 instead of one

sldbyuramg
02-13-2008, 06:13 PM
well after considering all the input...im gonna try the thermostat first. correct me if im wrong but i believe that if it was the water pump it would overheat even when i was on the freeway with maximum airflow... the radiator doesnt bubble (that i can see or hear)
the original fan was broken...it was siezed so that it spun all the time.
the water in the radiator looks pretty clean but i am gonna flush it anyway. i think what i need for sure is one more fan to cover the entire radiator and to change them to pull...when i reversed polarity it feels like it is stronger pulling that pushing.
if all else fails then im just gonna have to put an LS1 in it and call it a day...lol

thanks for all the input, it definately got my mind moving in the right direction and i can troubleshoot one thing at a time.
thanks for the help

mnmax
02-13-2008, 07:59 PM
just a quick note here.... once you've troubleshot everything mentioned before and your temp is still shooting way past where it should be, then i would just consider changing your temp sender. also it is nice to have a 2nd temp gauge hooked up to make sure that your cluster is reading the right temp.

sldbyuramg
02-13-2008, 08:18 PM
just a quick note here.... once you've troubleshot everything mentioned before and your temp is still shooting way past where it should be, then i would just consider changing your temp sender. also it is nice to have a 2nd temp gauge hooked up to make sure that your cluster is reading the right temp.

well after this ordeal i have realized that the stock temp gauge sucks completely and an after market one is my next investment.

well i took out the thermostat and it showed some signs of wear and tear...while sitting there i decided not to install my new thermostat and run it without one for a while to see how it works.
i swapped fluid (which was definately needed) and let my car idle for about 45 min...after about 10 min or so it warmed up and my temp slowly climmed to a little under halfway and it stayed there for about 20 min. overtemp seems to be fixed with the removal of the thermostat.
thanks again for the suggestions

rhs13
02-13-2008, 10:35 PM
thanks for the anonymous negative reps everybody. at least have the balls to leave your name if youre gonna call someone a douche-bag.

sldbyuramg
02-14-2008, 01:01 AM
thanks for the anonymous negative reps everybody. at least have the balls to leave your name if youre gonna call someone a douche-bag.

well it wasnt me just so you know. i spoke my peace in the thread.

anyway just when i thought i had it figured out...i even called it. i said wouldnt the car overheat while on the freeway or when it was getting good airflow if the water pump went out... well after about 10 min of driving to visit my parents who just flew in from out of town my temp shot up and i pulled over immediately.

it is definately the water pump. so after tomorrow i can let you guys know how that works out... hopefully this car doesnt turn into a giant headache

mnmax
02-14-2008, 02:16 AM
^^^^^^^sweet.... looks like i called it.

sldbyuramg
02-14-2008, 01:22 PM
for sure... i think it was gradually going bad...and then when i put that fan back on it couldnt handle it. it makes sense because the last fan was wobbley and seized so im sure it put some strain on the pump

sldbyuramg
02-14-2008, 01:28 PM
man i didnt even realize my negative reps...lol thats freakin awesome. i bump old threads to get more info...negative rep me all you want. doesnt bother me.
and FYI i wasnt the person complaining about negative reps...but thanks for the positive rep...pretty much the only one i have... LMAO