PDA

View Full Version : KA: No spark

LA_phantom_240
02-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Okay I desperately need help right now. Here's the skinny: got oil all over my engine bay, so I went to a local place, doused the motor in degreaser once the motor was cool enough not to boil it off instantly, rinsed the motor, and now she won't start. I didn't get up on it with the pressure, just rinsed it off. I'm getting no spark. Its an s14. No water under the distributor cap, what the hell did I do? Any suggestions for me to try when I go back to the car tomorrow?

I don't have a spare distributor to try.

This is the first time I've ever had anything like this happen after washing my motor. Never once had a problem.

LA_phantom_240
02-10-2008, 10:23 PM
I realize that its only been a short time since I started the thread, but I really need help...

lazy240
02-11-2008, 12:58 AM
well this worked once for me get wd40 and spray it in the electrical plugs like the maf and stuff like that if that doesnt work wait a week

louisdaboois
02-11-2008, 01:25 AM
obviously, you dont want to wait a week. have you tried to get a new cap and rotor button? with my experience with KA's cap and rotor buttons are bitches and mess up easily. Go to the parts store and spend about 30$ and see if that helps.

LA_phantom_240
02-11-2008, 07:31 AM
obviously, you dont want to wait a week. have you tried to get a new cap and rotor button? with my experience with KA's cap and rotor buttons are bitches and mess up easily. Go to the parts store and spend about 30$ and see if that helps.

To tell you the truth, I don't have $30 to spend. I can get a new cap and rotor though, that won't be a problem... I'm going to put dielectric grease on all the wire connectors as soon as she gets running again...

punxva
02-11-2008, 07:43 AM
i had this problem, but it was the alt, getting too wet, i let it dry for about a day then it started up just fine

MadMaverick
02-11-2008, 07:44 AM
You must have gotten water in some of the connectors. Open them up and clean em out. Did you check for spark coming out of the ignitor?

LA_phantom_240
02-11-2008, 08:01 AM
I don't know how to check for that on an s14. I'm good with s13 ignition, but s14s are different, and so I'm lost with them. How would I check for that?

And yeah, I disconnected and reconnected a bunch of stuff last night trying to get any water out.

frankist
02-11-2008, 08:04 AM
check your plug wires going to the spark plugs you couldve got water in there, it wont evaporate without the engine running lol.

LA_phantom_240
02-11-2008, 08:07 AM
check your plug wires going to the spark plugs you couldve got water in there, it wont evaporate without the engine running lol.

I did check them. I'm not getting spark to the wires, much less the plugs. If there's water on the plugs I could really give a fuck less. I'll limp it home on two cylinders if need be... I just want her to start!

Z U L8R
02-11-2008, 01:54 PM
s14 distributor should have an internal coil in the distributor. really man that's about all it could be. if you have a test light you can hook it to your positive and have a buddy crank over the motor to see if your injectors are getting noid signal (the ground pulse) from the ecu to the injector plug. if you're getting no signal check and make sure your ecu is turning on. if your ecu is turning on then yeah, you shorted out the distributor :(

if your injectors are getting ground pulse from the ecu then you shorted out the coil in your distributor....either way you're gonna have to replace it if this is the case :(

gl man, hopefully it just dries out...

Dave =|

LA_phantom_240
02-11-2008, 03:07 PM
She started right up this morning. Craziness. My s14 never ceases to amaze me.

Z U L8R
02-11-2008, 08:33 PM
cool, she dried up

note to self.....don't wash motor unless it's running and avoid the distributor lol

Dave =]

LA_phantom_240
02-11-2008, 08:43 PM
cool, she dried up

note to self.....don't wash motor unless it's running and avoid the distributor lol

Dave =]

Note to self: Don't get oil all over your engine bay. It keeps you from having to wash the motor so often. lol.

Oh, and I've toasted an alternator on my Acura Legend washing the engine while running....