PDA

View Full Version : rear clunks under hard cornering

khoadogg
02-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Came back from another grip track event and noticed even more so now that under hard cornering there is an annoying clunking sound. Sounds like it's coming from the axles/diff area. VLSD with HKS coilovers and 235/40/18 tires. Thinking it might be the subframe bushings or the driveshaft. Any ideas? My car also shutters and shakes in the rear when going into 1st gear unless i give it plenty gas. It's something in the rear and not the engine...

ManoNegra
02-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Came back from another grip track event and noticed even more so now that under hard cornering there is an annoying clunking sound. Sounds like it's coming from the axles/diff area. VLSD with HKS coilovers and 235/40/18 tires. Thinking it might be the subframe bushings or the driveshaft. Any ideas? My car also shutters and shakes in the rear when going into 1st gear unless i give it plenty gas. It's something in the rear and not the engine...

That's what it sounds like.

sideview_180sx
02-11-2008, 01:57 AM
koah its the subframe bushings. those drop-in spacers would clear that rite up quick.

racepar1
02-11-2008, 01:59 AM
^^^ Agreed, get the collars and you'll be all good!

JeremyR
02-11-2008, 02:24 AM
would alot of freeplay in the axles cause this as well? or maybe could it be slack in the ring and pinion?? i've been having a similar problem, but i already have subframe spacers/collars. rear suspension includes full rear adjustable multi link, coil overs, etc. welded diff. i've always thought it was just becuase my diffs welded, but i've never driven another car with a welded so i really have nothing to compare to.

racepar1
02-11-2008, 02:30 AM
Well a welded diff will wear everything out faster because it has no give so it puts more stress on all the components. Check for eccesive play everywhere in the rear suspension and of course the diff and axles. Overlowering will accelerate axle wear as well as it puts the axles at an extreme angle.

sideview_180sx
02-11-2008, 03:01 AM
the noise you hear is the slack of the driveshaft / ring/pinion / axles engaging. The whirring sound on decel and other noises is what the NVH soft bushings don't allow you to hear/ feel. you are perfectly fine.

khoadogg
02-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Right on Aaron! I'm about to order some, I'm in the process or picking up another 180sx and hopefully rb20 swap for a nice daily ride.

koah its the subframe bushings. those drop-in spacers would clear that rite up quick.

Dream240
02-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Okay so here's a question for you guys concerning subframe collars and bushings.

When you install any type of collar (solid aluminum, urethane, etc) they only remove the slop temporarily? Why is this?

Also as far as installing the complete Nismo bushing set, once this set starts to wear out (5-8 years), can you just throw in some collars and it's just like new? If so, for how long?

I was under the assumption that solid collars are a permanent fix, not a band-aid.

Any elaboration is appreciated.

jhec23
02-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Subframe collars will not wear out but the old rubber bushing will. If your subframe bushing is totally shot meaning rubber already separated from the metal spacer inside the bushing assembly then the slop will not disappear but eventually get worse. Tightening it will not help because the bottom washer will push against the inner metal spacer and not the rubber bushing so no matter how tight it is, the slop will still be there.

What I did on mine since my subframe bushing is totally shot is different. I have an aluminum collars in there already but recently I'm getting more squeeking sound from the rear end so I decided to purchased the Peak Performance Urethane collars to replace the aluminum ones. But before I installed it, I pulled the metal spacers inside the subframe bushing but only the 2 front ones because the ones in the back are still intact with the rubber. I used my dremel to cut about a 1/4" from the spacers before I put it back. This way I can have more room to tighten it and completely sandwich the old bushings between the urethane collars. It works great after the install, not even a tiny slop and the inside noise coming from the rear end was greatly reduced because of the urethane spacers.

khoadogg
02-11-2008, 07:48 PM
It was Turn 6 and 14 to be exact.

http://www.abmotorsports.com/gns4/gns4048.jpg
http://www.abmotorsports.com/gns4/gns4049.jpg
http://www.abmotorsports.com/gns4/gns4050.jpg
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5678/dsc0434ud5.jpg