PDA

View Full Version : Basic T28 set up installed...but it won't start...WTF

FaLKoN240
02-08-2008, 05:16 PM
OK, so I installed all my turbo set up, after spending like $400 on shit I thought I had/didn't know I needed.

Now the kit is all on. Minus the elbow to the downpipe and exhaust.

S13 KA24DET
T28
Manifold
S14 SMIC
Z32 Maf
Walbro fuel pump
450cc injectors
Enthalpy ECU

The car won't turn over. It cranks FOREVER but won't start.

I don't know what it is its getting fuel and spark, I checked that already.

I've rechecked the MAF wires twice already.

Any ideas or advice?

D1GP
02-08-2008, 05:21 PM
did you check the timing?

FaLKoN240
02-08-2008, 05:24 PM
did you check the timing?

The guy I bought the Enthalpy ECU from said that he had the timing set to 18*

I haven't messed with the distributor for the whole install, would that cause it not to fire up?

D1GP
02-08-2008, 05:28 PM
The guy I bought the Enthalpy ECU from said that he had the timing set to 18*

I haven't messed with the distributor for the whole install, would that cause it not to fire up?

usually the case when you have spark and fuel but no start but if you havent messed with the dizzy or cam gears, timing shouldn't have changed at all.

FaLKoN240
02-08-2008, 05:29 PM
usually the case when you have spark and fuel but no start.

My friend said I should retard the timing would that do? I don't have a timing light, so I can't be sure about what does what.

I've never really messed around in the engine bay...

D1GP
02-08-2008, 05:30 PM
My friend said I should retard the timing would that do? I don't have a timing light, so I can't be sure about what does what.

I've never really messed around in the engine bay...

call around and see if autozone, checkers, etc.. has one you can rent. otherwise you can get a cheapy for like 20 bucks.

FaLKoN240
02-08-2008, 05:35 PM
call around and see if autozone, checkers, etc.. has one you can rent. otherwise you can get a cheapy for like 20 bucks.

My friend has one at his house but he's at the race track until later tonight. I'm just gonna wait til then.

I don't have a car right now anyways.

louisdaboois
02-08-2008, 05:36 PM
If your car ran before you put the turbo kit on, it should run now. First you have to be POSITIVE that you can hear the fuel pump priming, feel the injectors clicking, feel the voltage when you put a spark plug against your chest for each cylinder. Throughout my entire KA-T project, I went through ridiculous crap because the car wouldnt start or run on one cylinder and it all turned out to be something stupid, like a loose ground, or I forgot to plug something up. Take another look around at everything man.

oo yeah, unless you decided to advance the timing 5º when it was NA. Dont mess with the distributor. The fsm calls for 20º advanced. honestly, anything lower makes it run likes ass. well.... starting at like 15º and lower.

MELLO*SOS
02-08-2008, 05:46 PM
feel the voltage when you put a spark plug against your chest for each cylinder.

LOL who does it like that? Just ground the plug against the valve cover and watch for spark on each cylinder.

If you have fuel and spark, your timing is fucked plain and simple.

95Blue240sx
02-08-2008, 05:50 PM
I got a timing light if you want to pick it up heh.

I would just retard your timing. I mean you can only damage things if its working and you advance it. If you are just trying to get it started retard the bitch. You can always get a timing gun later.

Are you sure that enthalpy is good?

Irukandji
02-08-2008, 06:03 PM
What did I tell you scott... I said don't do cheapo ka-t.

Now look :p

FaLKoN240
02-08-2008, 06:49 PM
I got a timing light if you want to pick it up heh.

I would just retard your timing. I mean you can only damage things if its working and you advance it. If you are just trying to get it started retard the bitch. You can always get a timing gun later.

Are you sure that enthalpy is good?

Yeah, I'm gonna double check all the injectors are firing, and then try some ECU stuffs.

Last resort, I'll retard the timing.

My friend has a timing gun I can use, but he's heading home from Thunderhill.

Assuming my friend got the right nuts from ATP turbo, I can start the car TONIGHT... If I get rid of this stupid little problem...

O WELL!

I just got up from a nap of depression, I'm getting right back at it.

A Spec Products
02-08-2008, 06:52 PM
What did I tell you scott... I said don't do cheapo ka-t.

Now look :p

What did I tell you scott....I said don't do cheapo _______. (insert anything I've ever talked to him about)

Haha

Don't be sad you'll be fine

UNISA JECS
02-08-2008, 06:58 PM
As far as starting the car goes as long as you have the distributor in correctly (on the correct tooth) timing won't matter in starting the car one bit.

FaLKoN240
02-08-2008, 08:21 PM
OK, well I just double checked the injectors, changed out some chips on the daughterboard and messed with the MAF a little bit. Still no luck...

I wanna shoot myself.

JDMClifford
02-08-2008, 08:31 PM
your car will still start if you dont have a the maf pluged in. it will just go into limp mode and not rev past 3500. just for shits and giggles ad an extra ground wire from your head to your chassis and see it that works. same deal happend to me and that was my problem.

liv2drift045
02-08-2008, 09:46 PM
i know it seems really simple but make sure your ecu it plugged in all the way... bolt it tighten'd all the way... i had this problem w/ my CA, when i installed my ecu it wasn't fully connected (though it looked like it was)... worth a try... good luck

importdude
02-08-2008, 09:46 PM
triple check the dis
if its off even little it wont start the car
same problem when i did a rebuild on my ka-t

wont start for jack
we redid the dis 2 times and each time we made sure it went in stright
still no

then finally the 3rd time finally got it right on the spot
and car started up

if your willing to come down to san jose, and put down a desosit i can lend you my ecu(emance tuned 440cc ect..)

bo2o
02-08-2008, 09:58 PM
did you pull out your dizzy before you did your turbo? and your car was running before rite?

pull out the ecu try to run stock ecu see what happens.
check if you put in the fuel lines in the write way.
after that try going back to stock injectors.
gl

what happen to not going turbo because its hard gettin around norcal haha

oh and juss unplug your maf.

kamikazekid
02-08-2008, 10:03 PM
someone mentioned it before, make sure the fuel pump kicks on because you can have everything right but it will just turn and turn and turn if that thing doesnt pressurize, Im not saying your an idiot ,its just small things like that go unnoticed and it drives you insane.

Irukandji
02-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Put in stock ecu and just see if it starts.

slideways2004
02-08-2008, 10:09 PM
everything that needs to be checked has been stated already. if your dizzy if off very bad, it will not start. if its in the right area (doesn't have to be perfect) it will start. take it out and re stab it

bo2o
02-08-2008, 10:18 PM
pull out the fuel filter and double check if it pumps.

FaLKoN240
02-09-2008, 02:58 AM
someone mentioned it before, make sure the fuel pump kicks on because you can have everything right but it will just turn and turn and turn if that thing doesnt pressurize, Im not saying your an idiot ,its just small things like that go unnoticed and it drives you insane.

The fuel pump wasn't priming. My friend that observed it didn't know what he was looking for.

We fried the ground terminal when soldering it with a shitty iron. I'm installing it right now, if it fires up I'll let you guys know!

Thanks for the great responses! :aw:

kamikazekid
02-09-2008, 03:02 AM
The fuel pump wasn't priming. My friend that observed it didn't know what he was looking for.

We fried the ground terminal when soldering it with a shitty iron. I'm installing it right now, if it fires up I'll let you guys know!

no proplem man, its not the first time a fuel pump has fucked up someones day. good luck hope that thing fires up.

projekt_s13
02-09-2008, 03:57 AM

Great news scott, keep us updated.

Addicted2Kouki
02-09-2008, 04:07 AM

I been keeping an eye on this thread. I told myself, yeah its gotta be the fuel pump...

Then i read that you said it was getting fuel and spark, so i got stumped and didnt post anything.

good to hear it was something minor.
I also plan on going KA-T with a small bottom mount.

jdmized240sx
02-09-2008, 08:25 AM
i'm looking into doing a similar setup, do you plug up the water line to cool the turbo?

louisdaboois
02-09-2008, 09:12 AM

Told yah it was something stupid :bigok: . keep us updated!

downshift_sideways
02-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Yay..For scott.

Hope that fuel pump wiring was the problem.

FaLKoN240
02-09-2008, 11:39 AM
i'm looking into doing a similar setup, do you plug up the water line to cool the turbo?

No, just don't use either one of them.

It's just like 0x3 nothing going into the equation, so you're gonna get nothing out.

downshift_sideways
02-09-2008, 02:00 PM
sooo whats the verdict? Shit fire ?

FaLKoN240
02-09-2008, 02:28 PM
sooo whats the verdict? Shit fire ?

Enthalpy ECU is having a problem.

It won't let the fuel pump prime.

I took out the Enthalpy ECU and put my stock one in, the ECU primed right up.

So I need to get in direct connection with Enthalpy ASAP.

But its contact by E-mail only.

I was trying to next day air him my stock ECU along with the Enthalpy one so he can make me a new one, but I don't know when he's gonna get in contact with me.

I might just put my car back to stock until he contacts me again.

punxva
02-09-2008, 05:27 PM
bikirom FTW. thats what i'm running basically the same setup

bo2o
02-09-2008, 05:41 PM
juss run stock ecu. you should b cool. juss watch your boost.

or sell the ecu and run safc2
that setup is pretty basic.

punxva
02-09-2008, 05:48 PM
not without timing or fuel control he wont... he needs to either get that reflashed or get a safc and btm for the time being, but only as a hold over

02BRB20
02-09-2008, 06:15 PM
bikirom FTW. thats what i'm running basically the same setup

except biki's support sizucks.

calumrt baby

punxva
02-09-2008, 06:53 PM
thats why i did it right the first time and tune on my own with a wideband, but i
'm going to be going with a haltec soon

FaLKoN240
02-09-2008, 11:01 PM
I'm patient and putting my car back to NA is as simple as changing the manifold, blocking the oil return and switching out the injectors...

I'm gonna be a super lazy poser though and keep the intercooler in place... LOL.