PDA

View Full Version : ignition issues

Tricky1980
02-08-2008, 03:31 PM
its been a while since ive posted(nothign wrong with car lately) but now i have power to everything.. but not a single click when i got o start the car.... windows.. wipers.. it all works.. but i turn the key to start and NOTHING... it did this the other day and then i was like huh.. got out popped hood.. sat back down and it started.. now its done it again and no magical cure... is it starter stuck? or? imjust looking for some ideas to start tinkering with..
thanks guys
JaY

sr20boostn20
02-08-2008, 03:54 PM
have you tried to hit the starter with a hammer, or checked the wiring on the starter?

my last 3 starters that went bad were all spinning, just not popping out into the fly wheel.

g6civcx
02-08-2008, 04:09 PM
I don't know if this applies to you, but relays and solenoids have been known to fail intermittently in hot weather. When they cool down, they work again.

In your case I would check the starter solenoid or any loose wiring to the starter and starter solenoid.

If all of your wiring is good, I would suspect either the ignition switch itself or some part of the starter. The ignition switch is easier to test so I would try that first.

Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery, pull off the steering column cover, disconnect the ignition switch harness, and use a multimeter to measure for continuity between the power pin and the starter pin with someone holding the key to ST. Check FSM for specific pin location.

Sometimes jiggling the ignition switch will make it work again. If everything is good then pull the starter and get it tested.

Tricky1980
02-08-2008, 04:54 PM
thanks guys as soon as the snow melts ill dig under the ca and try figuring it out.. thanks for quick replies....
JaY

karmakaze
02-09-2008, 07:20 AM
thanks guys as soon as the snow melts ill dig under the ca and try figuring it out.. thanks for quick replies....
JaY

the ground on the starter can pop off pretty easily. it is just a glorified spade connector. that would be the first thing i would check.

idlafie
02-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Your ignition switch has an electrical connector on the opposite side of where you insert the key into the ignition. That electrical connector has several positions on it - LOCK / OFF / ACC / ON / START. When the contacts inside the switch go bad, (usually on the START position), the switch is no longer able to send current to the starter, hence the reason why your car doesnt' want to start.

Remove the cover to your steering column & check the electrical connector on the opposite side of the ignition switch. Link to picture attached.
http://tinyurl.com/yvzs5o

Use a volt/ohm meter and/or continuity tester to make sure the electrical conector is working in ALL positions. It's easier to check / test &/or replace this part at $35 bucks than it is to replace the starter. Chances are the electrical connector on the ignition switch is bad & NOT your starter.

Anyhow, hope this helps.
ID