PDA

View Full Version : rumbling in the back while turning

240srdet
02-07-2008, 02:02 AM
i am curious since i bought the s13. the car has always been rumbling and shaky thats being caused by something from the back every time i turn at low speeds especially in first gear. it kinda feels like if the wheels are just dragging along in a fwd car. the shaking only occur during low speed turns. the guy i got the car from said he has a vlsd pumpkin that he got from venus-auto.com. i never driven or rode in a car that has a vlsd. but i havent gotten a chance to jack up the car yet to test it or to even look at it. he hasnt lied about the car. a guy i asked told me that most likely its a welded diff in the back and thats the reason why it shakes and rumbles at low speed turns. its not really a problem, i am just worried that something might be broken back there that i dont know of.

yokotavia
02-07-2008, 05:53 AM
sounds to me like its welded.

but that "rumbling" sound is definatly the diff it it happens at low speeds and when turning.

if your lucky, its a 1.5way diff and not welded. =D

nothing unusual about that sound though.

unicoladron
02-07-2008, 07:00 AM
just jack up the rear of your car (place jack on the pumpkin itself, but be very careful) and spin one wheel. does the other wheel spin in the same direction?

Also you will know if you have a VLSD pumpkin if you have a bright orange sticker that says "VLSD". it might be covered in muck and road debris tho so look carefully.

240srdet
02-07-2008, 07:16 PM
thanks for the replies. i havent had time to jack it up, but when i do, i will check for the orange sticker and use the wheel spinning technique. im pretty sure there will be a orange sticker because the past owner bought the pumpkin from venus auto. is there a chance venus auto could have imported a vlsd pumpkin that some jap guy welded?

SoguRacing
02-07-2008, 07:19 PM
my car does the same. i have a 2 way lsd and it clunks every time i take a turn at low speeds. don't worry

aoiken3
02-07-2008, 07:29 PM
when i had my weld diff, i dragged so much i felt like i was driving w/ my ebrake pulled the entire time. thats y i went bak 2 open diff. check 2 c if u can turn the tires in opposite directions. if u cant, its definitely welded. if u can, then u got urself n lsd sir.

OMGYO
02-07-2008, 07:47 PM
your vlsd probably is quite fresh because most vlsd's dont do that

LA_phantom_240
02-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Yeah, lucky. My VLSD has had 156k miles of abuse. I'm lucky I still lay down two stripes.... Of course, its kind of an off and on affair. Sometimes I one wheel wonder...

240srdet
02-07-2008, 10:45 PM
your vlsd probably is quite fresh because most vlsd's dont do that

is this like a clutch breaking in?

when i had my weld diff, i dragged so much i felt like i was driving w/ my ebrake pulled the entire time. thats y i went bak 2 open diff. check 2 c if u can turn the tires in opposite directions. if u cant, its definitely welded. if u can, then u got urself n lsd sir.

thats how it exactly feels when i turn at low speeds....ebrake pulled up. i guess i will find out when i get a chance to jack the car up.

slow40sx
02-07-2008, 10:56 PM

i have a VLSD and it rides extremely smooth, and i can't turn my wheels in opposite directions

uthemofo
02-07-2008, 10:59 PM
welded diff owns all!!!