PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump fuse keeps blowing

ecuastyle84
02-05-2008, 06:49 AM
ok i went to warm up my car this morning before going to work...when i left my house i notice my car was off....so i go and start it and all it does is crank...i notice my fuel pump didnt kick on...so i check the fuel pump fuse and it was blown...replaced it and it started but it died down a few seconds later...checked the fuse and it was blown...replaced it again, engine crank but no go...fuse blown again...replaced fuse one more time...didnt even have to crank the engine, just put the key in and turned it...fuse blown...is this a issue with the fuel pump wiring? or the fuel pump? maybe a short?

its a redtop sr

cotbu
02-05-2008, 07:58 AM
I 'm not to sure where to look yet? try removing the egi pump relay, and add a new fuse, turn key to on position. Does the fuse blow?

ecuastyle84
02-05-2008, 08:05 AM
ill check that, im at work right now til 8pm so i won't be able to work on it today...anybody else have any suggestions?

Sir
02-05-2008, 08:23 AM
check for short in the harness.

ecuastyle84
02-05-2008, 08:48 AM
check for short in the harness.

i check the harness b4 i went to work and its fine from what i can see

Sir
02-05-2008, 09:52 AM
use DVM, looking at it won't tell you much

S14DB
02-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Stock pump or upgraded? Prolly the stock pump sticking.

ecuastyle84
02-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Stock pump or upgraded? Prolly the stock pump sticking.

walbro fuel pump

ecuastyle84
02-05-2008, 10:02 AM
use DVM, looking at it won't tell you much

dvm? you mean digital volt meter?...how would i test it...sorry im big noob when goes to electrical testing

ecuastyle84
02-05-2008, 03:08 PM
anybody else know what i should check also?

ANVIL
02-05-2008, 03:36 PM
you can start disconnecting fuel related electrical stuff (replays, harnesses, ect) one by one and putting the fuse in, then turn key on, then seeing if it blows. that will help you narrow down whats going on.

start off with what everyone else posted then report back and we can help you more.

ecuastyle84
02-05-2008, 04:00 PM
ok ill have to do this 2moro...thanks for input...feel free to add on more helpful tips to help solve my problem...thanks!

ecuastyle84
02-06-2008, 12:10 PM
does anyone know how to test the wiring with a multimeter?...i removed the fuel pump and everything seems to be ok...no loose wiring of any sort

ecuastyle84
02-06-2008, 04:18 PM
well i got it running for now...i put a 30amp fuse in and it started...still gotta figure out the source of the problem

bo2o
02-06-2008, 04:30 PM
check the draw with a dvm on amp.
your pump prolly took a crap how long have you had it?

ecuastyle84
02-06-2008, 05:47 PM
check the draw with a dvm on amp.
your pump prolly took a crap how long have you had it?

since sept 07

ThatGuy
02-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Putting in an oversized fuse is a good way to burn out the wiring and possibly start a fire. It's blowing, as a safety feature.

burnsauto
02-06-2008, 05:53 PM
yeah it sounds like you've got a bad short somewhere in the wiring.

swayray
02-06-2008, 05:56 PM
does it blow after taking hard corners or drifting?

Check the aluminum baffle in your fuel tank... see if its loose... it could be loose since its only being held by zipties... it could blow your fuse whenever it hits your fuel pump...

you can just take that aluminum baffle off or you can try to ziptie it back in place... i don't know why nissan would use zipties to hold it in place in the first place...

happened to me on all three of my cars....

ecuastyle84
02-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Putting in an oversized fuse is a good way to burn out the wiring and possibly start a fire. It's blowing, as a safety feature.

wow thanks for telling me that...i was gonna drive it 2moro to work too..now i won't

yeah it sounds like you've got a bad short somewhere in the wiring.

i figure that just gotta look for it i guess...how would i know if i find a short?...like i said im a real noob when it goes to electrical stuff

does it blow after taking hard corners or drifting?

Check the aluminum baffle in your fuel tank... see if its loose... it could be loose since its only being held by zipties... it could blow your fuse whenever it hits your fuel pump...

you can just take that aluminum baffle off or you can try to ziptie it back in place... i don't know why nissan would use zipties to hold it in place in the first place...

happened to me on all three of my cars....

no it blew while i had my car was warm up in the morning before i left to work...this is the first time it has happened

S14DB
02-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Warming up your car in place for more than a minute is not good for your motor.

ecuastyle84
02-06-2008, 09:06 PM

why is that?...even when its really cold out?

ANVIL
02-07-2008, 12:14 AM

ummm wtf u talking about?

Sir
02-07-2008, 12:35 AM
Replace fuse with correct one.!!!!!!!!!!

disconnect the plug by fuel pump, does the fuse blow?
Yes -> check chassis wiring.
No -> connect the plug.
Does it blow now
Yes -> Its inside your tank, pull it all out, check connections
No-> keep on truckin!!!!

Try that, we can proceed once we know where the issue is. otherwise its just a whole bunch of guesses.

Drft_S14
02-07-2008, 01:07 AM
this use to happen to my car before i just changed the fuel pump and fuel filter after that its stopped doing it.

mnmax
02-07-2008, 01:32 AM
before going too far into it. try replacing your fuel filter. if your filter is clogged it could be overloading your pump causing it to blow fuses.

S14DB
02-07-2008, 01:44 AM
ummm wtf u talking about?

go buy a block heater...

why is that?...even when its really cold out?

Only takes a minute for the oil to flow though the block and get up to pressure. The ECU is in cold start to heat up the block. Extra fuel is dumped during cold start. Sitting at idle the extra fuel will wash down the cylinder walls, increasing ring wear and possible ring and bore damage. The fuel will then be in the oil diluting it.

The best thing is to idle the car till the oil pressure comes up and the oil circulates though the block. Take about a minute. Then drive the car conservatively until the engine heats up to operating temperature.

ecuastyle84
02-07-2008, 05:36 AM
Replace fuse with correct one.!!!!!!!!!!

disconnect the plug by fuel pump, does the fuse blow?...did that and the fuse didn't blow
Yes -> check chassis wiring....did that
No -> connect the plug....did that
Does it blow now...still blows
Yes -> Its inside your tank, pull it all out, check connections....did that, everything seems to be fine
No-> keep on truckin!!!!

Try that, we can proceed once we know where the issue is. otherwise its just a whole bunch of guesses.

this use to happen to my car before i just changed the fuel pump and fuel filter after that its stopped doing it.

ill try that....thanks

before going too far into it. try replacing your fuel filter. if your filter is clogged it could be overloading your pump causing it to blow fuses.

ill do that first....thanks

go buy a block heater...

Only takes a minute for the oil to flow though the block and get up to pressure. The ECU is in cold start to heat up the block. Extra fuel is dumped during cold start. Sitting at idle the extra fuel will wash down the cylinder walls, increasing ring wear and possible ring and bore damage. The fuel will then be in the oil diluting it.

The best thing is to idle the car till the oil pressure comes up and the oil circulates though the block. Take about a minute. Then drive the car conservatively until the engine heats up to operating temperature.

damn i didnt even know that...ive been warming up my car alot too...thanks for telling me

MadMaverick
02-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Check the wiring at the fuel pump. Walboro's have a sheathing on the harness that tends to shrink in fuel, exposing the wiring and shorting it out. Ive seen this problem on quite a few s-chassis.

ecuastyle84
02-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Check the wiring at the fuel pump. Walboro's have a sheathing on the harness that tends to shrink in fuel, exposing the wiring and shorting it out. Ive seen this problem on quite a few s-chassis.

the wiring seems fine when i removed the fuel pump but im going to replace it with the fuel filter to see if changes anything

ecuastyle84
02-10-2008, 12:51 PM
PROBLEM SOLVED

turned out to the fuel pump and fuel filter....replaced both and car is running like a champ...thanks everybody for all your help