PDA

View Full Version : Baffled.

kamikazekid
02-04-2008, 09:01 PM
so my car overheated last week, been a couple of years since i last changed the pump,thermostat,.etc. So thought it should be done. Changed the Pump, thermostat, and CTS, just to be safe, blead the system got a new cap. i was driving it the next day and it overheats again. No big deal. let it cool down blead it again checked the fluid level started driving. its cool for a couple of hour long drives to sacremento and back. then today im driving and it overheats twice. FUCK. it doesnt spike either its real gradual. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

1992 hatch, stock KA.
:-/
http://a346.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/46/l_2e487bc0783505086bda195859faccb1.jpg (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=141907654&albumID=919142&imageID=16940823)

Addicted2Kouki
02-05-2008, 03:54 AM
I think you have a leak somewhere and youre just not holding pressure.
Check all your coolant hoses.

Around the intake manifold and by the heater core.

Do you notice any steam coming from a specific area when you overheat?

kamikazekid
02-05-2008, 04:03 AM
no, no steam, no drips, puddles or leaks either. its wierd. almost like something in the block got clogged up. it definently has alot of pressure on the return hose, but a cold soft intake hose. its like the thermostat is bad. Possible?

kamikazekid
02-05-2008, 04:06 AM
its like the water isnt circulating fast enough when it reaches operating temperature.

mnmax
02-05-2008, 04:13 AM
its like the water isnt circulating fast enough when it reaches operating temperature.
there's a hint... probably your water pump... or try flushing out the system

kamikazekid
02-05-2008, 04:17 AM
Brand new water pump though. a flush couldnt hurt. Either way i have to try somthing else cause i cant drive it for more than an hour.

mnmax
02-05-2008, 04:27 AM
try the flush more than likely you got some shit clogged up in there... and test that radiator cap it could be letting in some unwanted air, remember- air in cooling system=superheated bubbles=cavitation of internals= bad day stuck in rain on the side of I-80....don't ask

kamikazekid
02-05-2008, 04:51 AM
Ahh dam that sucks. yeah ill definently do that, thanks man.

gotta240
02-05-2008, 05:22 AM
it wouldn't hurt to have your radiator opened/cleaned by a radiator shop.

Ghetto shops usually charge me around 30 bucks.

kamikazekid
02-05-2008, 05:24 AM
thats not a bad idea either, couldnt i flush it with a couple of jugs of distilled water?

mnmax
02-05-2008, 05:45 AM
thats not a bad idea either, couldnt i flush it with a couple of jugs of distilled water?
uhhh...no

you want to do it chemically... they sell it at napa and autozone and will run you about $12

posdrift240
02-05-2008, 05:50 AM
Def your radiator. Get a radiator shop to run the Rod through it! You will be surprised to what comes out.

gotta240
02-05-2008, 10:56 AM
fuck chemically. That stuff is shit too.

Take it to a radiator shop as i stated earlier. They will take it apart, MECHANICALLY clean that shit out, and put it back together. If they want more than 40 bucks to do so, tell them to fuck off.

ericcastro
02-05-2008, 11:10 AM
new radiator can be had for around a bill. little more maybe. :)

This winter at christmas, my sisters honda accord(87) was having all kinds of problems with the heater. i had to flush it out old school.

Use a hose, connect it to one end, and open the other, turn on and watch the crap fly out the other side. After several flushings of her heater core, radiator and system. I got it working again. there was a amazing amount of build up.

johngriff
02-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Right, the build up is rust + corrosion of the Iron block in the KA.

Every TWO YEARS, the whole system should be flushed.

The kind of sediment build up I have seen in old KA radiators over the last few years is amazing. Most of you don't need aluminum radiators, just functional stock ones.

kamikazekid
02-05-2008, 11:27 PM
WOW... I had no idea it could get so bad. well thnks, this will definently save me some money in the long run. i was just gonna run it till it blew and get an SR. but UTI is around 40k for tuition,so i need to save those pennies.

kamikazekid
02-08-2008, 10:16 PM
So it turns out its a small leak in the headgasket, and after a while it was building bubbles in the coolant stream behind the thermostat causing it to close up and not let cool water circulate.... EVENTUALLY leading to cracking my radiator on the lineup at Thunderhill today, because of the heat and pressure build up on the return side.

the shittiest part of all was I paid $50 bucks to have the system tested for a headgasket leak. and it came up negative so i took it drifting. Im pissed.

JDMClifford
02-08-2008, 10:42 PM
back flush.

http://www.prestone.com/carcare/faq.php

zoototheyork
02-08-2008, 10:49 PM
so your hoverheating all of the other times didnt cauz the the shit to pop, it just suddenly let go?

kamikazekid
02-08-2008, 10:56 PM
so your hoverheating all of the other times didnt cauz the the shit to pop, it just suddenly let go?
well I was on a line up and i guess the bubble moved its way to the temp sensor ( the one that goes to the gauges) so it wasnt reading anything, just looked normal. and boom!, steam and broken radiator, fluid all over the place.

blownmotor
02-08-2008, 11:11 PM
worst case senario head gasket

kamikazekid
02-09-2008, 12:18 AM
So it turns out its a small leak in the headgasket, and after a while it was building bubbles in the coolant stream behind the thermostat causing it to close up and not let cool water circulate.... EVENTUALLY leading to cracking my radiator on the lineup at Thunderhill today, because of the heat and pressure build up on the return side.

the shittiest part of all was I paid $50 bucks to have the system tested for a headgasket leak. and it came up negative so i took it drifting. Im pissed.

worst case senario head gasket
read the above reply.