PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Oil Drain Plug. Yes? No? Maybe so?

gotta240
01-31-2008, 09:22 AM
So i've always thought about using a magnetic drain plug. However, i'm not sure if its a good idea or not. The way i look at it

1. Thats what the oil filter is for
2. If it were a good idea, the factory would have spent the 3 cents to put a magnet there.
3. Most of the engine internals(that could be floating around) are brass or alluminum anyways.

On the other side, I dont see how it could possibly hurt.

murda-c
01-31-2008, 09:25 AM
2. If it were a good idea, the factory would have spent the 3 cents to put a magnet there.

i don't think you understand how hard they can pinch a penny. save 3 cents on one car, it's a lot more on a whole line of them.

Anyway, they can't hurt. And they have them in alot of transmissions from the factory, so why not engines?

DJButton
01-31-2008, 09:43 AM
Always a good idea. :) I have one in the transmission engine and diff I think.

firelizard
01-31-2008, 11:16 AM
I put one in. Haven't changed the oil since, but I can't say it has had any negative effects. So, why not? Might do some good, might not.

jackjack
01-31-2008, 11:17 AM
i dont have one. i just do my regular oil changes and call it a day. but like you said. cant hurt.

Dutchmalmiss
01-31-2008, 11:36 AM
I have one. Paid $10. 2 oil changes since and there's been a small amount of "dust" collecting onto it. Just wipe it clean and reinstall. It just adds to a peace of mind for making sure your oil is just that: pure oil.

DOOK
01-31-2008, 11:57 AM
magnetic drain plugs aren't to catch pieces of internals, if you've got that problem you're screwed anyways, they are more to attract small amount of deposits that can build up and cause issues over time.

Tops*
01-31-2008, 11:57 AM
When I go recycle my oil, I usually just pull up in one of the garages. I hear comments underneath about how my drain plug is aluminum. Makes it worth my $9 I spent on it. :rolleyes:

Really though, it can't hurt. Plus, weight savings. Yeah boiii!

boozels
01-31-2008, 12:19 PM
they work great
i have changed my oil a bunch of times after going to the track and the magnetic picks up small metal flakes and oily crud. makes me feel better when i know that stuff is not just flowing around in my oil system

Rusker
01-31-2008, 01:55 PM
It's just extra insurance. It's well worth the money knowing you are catching things that would have normally continued on through the engine. The filter can only catch so much.

number80
02-01-2008, 02:33 PM
I have been using one in my other car for years and they do their jobs well. Every time I do an oil change I can see the magnet is collecting some small crap, whatever it is. Now if you got debris of bearings floating around, can't promise you on that part.

Just get, it works, it's cheap, and adds to your list of MODs

MomentumGT
02-01-2008, 02:47 PM
I have one on my daily and years back I was doing an oil change and found out something was clogging the drain hole and it was a piece of metal. I took the oil pan off and it turns out it was a loose bolt from the oil pickup :ugh: and the magnetic plug actually caught the bolt before it was able to bounce around and destroy other moving parts or worse clog up the oil pickup and starve the motor. Magnetic plugs are on all s-chasis cars that I own for piece of mind.

-Jon