PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start...Need a little help please

Mr. Sileighty
01-30-2008, 09:42 AM
I have a 240 and when I stick the key in the ingnition and turn it, all the lights come on but there is no click at all. I wanted to know if it's my starter that's out because, someone told me that it could be the ignition itself. Now I'm all confused trying to figure out what is wrong. I'm pretty sure that it's the starter but with my friend telling me otherwise, now I'm lost. Can anyone help me out???

Kamburrito
01-30-2008, 09:59 AM
the samething happened to me ... went to go eat at a restaraunt .. parked the car .. ate.. came back out .. and car wont start .. 'm pretty positive that its the ignition switch .. you can go to your local autozone and order one in .. itll run about $150.00.. ignition switches tend to go out on 240's for some reason .. OR .. you can grab 15 dollars .. grab a 60 AMP push button switch .. 12 gauge wire .. and black tape .. route the wire to your starter and battery , and don't forget to ground it .. and you'll have a push start system in no time .. BUT it's not recommended .. it's just a temporary fix.. hope my advice helps in some way ..

Captain_Ron80
01-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Has there been some work done to the car? Sounds like it could be a grounding problem.

JDMwannaBE
01-30-2008, 10:01 AM
it sounds like your not getting any power at all to the starter, if it doesnt even click or anything. make sure its wired up right. and check all your fuses. or like the guy above said, it could very well be a bad ground somewhere.

SILVIA_KIDs14.5
01-30-2008, 10:07 AM
check the starter selinoid, probaly shot if you hear no click that most likely it been there done that it is true the igniton switches go out but that would depend how long you had the car for, i'd say check the selinoid first then the switch cuz we all know its cheaper to get a selinoid then igniton switch. Autozone or Advanced Auto can check the starter for you tell you if the selinoid is gone or what you can do is take out the stater, and keep it hooked up have some one turn the key to try to start the car while holding the start (keep clear of the gears in the starter ) see if the gear "pops" out when the keys turned.

s13.dark1
01-30-2008, 10:12 AM
have u looked at ur starter in might be disconected or came loose, u can also get a multi meter and check 4 voltage at ur starter, if u have voltage and the starter doesnt kick bad starter, no voltage check ignition switch.

Mr. Sileighty
01-30-2008, 10:38 AM
have u looked at ur starter in might be disconected or came loose, u can also get a multi meter and check 4 voltage at ur starter, if u have voltage and the starter doesnt kick bad starter, no voltage check ignition switch.

I am definitely going to check that.

check the starter selinoid, probaly shot if you hear no click that most likely it been there done that it is true the igniton switches go out but that would depend how long you had the car for, i'd say check the selinoid first then the switch cuz we all know its cheaper to get a selinoid then igniton switch. Autozone or Advanced Auto can check the starter for you tell you if the selinoid is gone or what you can do is take out the stater, and keep it hooked up have some one turn the key to try to start the car while holding the start (keep clear of the gears in the starter ) see if the gear "pops" out when the keys turned.

So if the gear pops out, does that mean it's working or no?

180sx_Drifter
01-30-2008, 10:46 AM
check your fuses and see if you have power to the battery if you have a friend with the same car year swap the ignitor and see what the problem really is.

S-Nation S13
01-30-2008, 10:48 AM
lol..to find out if it is you igniton switch contact try to jiggle the switch as you crank the key to start position...lol i do that once in awhile b/c my switch contacts are getting tired for repeated starts..

if you thinks its your starter as you turn the key to start postion have a friend hit the starter itself at the same time you turn the key..guessing your starter armature is going out...this also happend to me lol got a cheap ass starter from autozone with lifetime warranty..i had to come back 3 times to find a starter that wouldn't die on me in 2-3 weeks of use but so far so good starts up like a champ

try checking you shift interlock relay its blue relay near battery "ONLY IF YOU HAVE MT MODEL" hear the contact on that go bad as well hit it as you turn the key to start not to sure of the name of that switch but its there :)

on MT MODEL to check the switch hear the cultch contacts go bad on those to

besides that ill check to see if i can find out more info pm me if your still in trouble...lol never liked the thought that a 240sx is down cause it wont start :(