PDA

View Full Version : Low Electrical Power

Ragnarok043
01-26-2008, 01:36 PM
so i was driving back from work this morning and noticed that my auto seat belt was sliding kinda slow on the track with the engine on. i didnt think much of it, but after an hour of driving my amp started cutting out, then the radio. i parked the car and shut the engine off, then tried to restart it but the starter wont even engage. through out the whole time the check battery light never came on. so im wondering, does it sound like the battery gone bad or the is it the alternator.

and if it makes any difference, my check brake light wont turn off either. the reservoir is full and its not the hand brake.

Risu2112
01-26-2008, 02:15 PM
so i was driving back from work this morning and noticed that my auto seat belt was sliding kinda slow on the track with the engine on. i didnt think much of it, but after an hour of driving my amp started cutting out, then the radio. i parked the car and shut the engine off, then tried to restart it but the starter wont even engage. through out the whole time the check battery light never came on. so im wondering, does it sound like the battery gone bad or the is it the alternator.

and if it makes any difference, my check brake light wont turn off either. the reservoir is full and its not the hand brake.

Push start the car with your lights/stereo off (just in case they are in fact draining it way too hard) if the car can't hold idle and is dying it's probably your alternator, if you can push start the car and get it to hold idle, get a volt meter and check the battery, if the voltage is the same or lower on the battery with the car running compared to it being off your alternator is shot, if it increases though your battery might just be on it's last leg, and I would recommend replacing it.

The brake check light is probably unrelated, pull and release it a few times to see if it clears off, if not check to see if your e brake is actually engaged or not.

Ragnarok043
01-26-2008, 02:32 PM
yeah im thinking its the alternator because the auto seatbelt and power window was acting sluggish and the sound system was cutting out while the engine was running.

Risu2112
01-26-2008, 02:48 PM
yeah im thinking its the alternator because the auto seatbelt and power window was acting sluggish and the sound system was cutting out while the engine was running.

I would definitely do the voltage test though to make sure, you're fuel delivery gets interrupted causing a stall about the same time your seatbelt/stereo/windows stop working.

I Know quite a bit about it, I drove my 240 for about 60 days without an alternator back and fourth to work because I was at the time broke. That sure was a pain in the ass pulling the battery out of the car after every trip and manually charging it at the office! haha :D

Certainly glad that those days are over >.>

Ragnarok043
01-26-2008, 04:01 PM
I would definitely do the voltage test though to make sure, you're fuel delivery gets interrupted causing a stall about the same time your seatbelt/stereo/windows stop working.

I Know quite a bit about it, I drove my 240 for about 60 days without an alternator back and fourth to work because I was at the time broke. That sure was a pain in the ass pulling the battery out of the car after every trip and manually charging it at the office! haha :D

Certainly glad that those days are over >.>

yeah its definitely the alternator, my dad jump started the car and pulled the battery terminal out and the engine died.

he was also telling me how he was stranded at Morro Bay without an alternator and it took him 3 batteries to make it back to SF.

now all thats left is to figure out the check brake light.