PDA

View Full Version : Starter Bolts Location?

zerooath
01-26-2008, 10:16 AM
I need to get out my starter and have already disconnected the cable from the battery to the starter and one of the bolts that hold the starter in place.

I cant seem to find a way to get even close to the other bolt its like im doing it with my eyes closed because i can feel the bolt but cant see it.

Is there an easier way to get to the bolt that holds the starter in place?

Psycho 240 Freak
01-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Did you try going under the car?

louisdaboois
01-26-2008, 10:25 AM
once the car is jacked up and on jack stands... stick your head under there, the starter is held on by 2 14mm bolts. a swivelly head joint may help.

GSXRJJordan
01-26-2008, 10:26 AM
You should be able to get both starter bolts with just an extension and maybe a universal (u-joint)... if not, the only other option is unbolting the driveshaft (4 bolts at the diff), removing it, catching all the tranny fluid that leaks out, loosening your motor mounts, removing the tranny mount, and jacking up the front of the motor (like you do for a clutch job)... then you have clear view of the starter (and all other) bolts.

blueshark123
01-26-2008, 10:32 AM
^ thats a bit to much 2 do to take out the stater lol. All u need is what louisdaboois said its real easy im a pro at taking them out do to my stater giving me problems.

zerooath
01-26-2008, 10:32 AM
yes i went under the car and i have one of the bolts out but the other i can feel it but cant see it.

and getting in there is tricky as hell. i just dont know how to really get to it without seeing it.

blueshark123
01-26-2008, 10:42 AM
its all the way up top just look how the stater housing is positioned you should be fine.

GSXRJJordan
01-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Well, it's pretty straight forward... you put the 14mm socket on the end of an extension, put a U-joint on the extension, then put on another extension to your big ass breaker bar/ratchet. Leverage the U-joint with one hand, turn counter-clockwise with the other.

projectRDM
01-26-2008, 11:03 AM
You should be able to get both starter bolts with just an extension and maybe a universal (u-joint)... if not, the only other option is unbolting the driveshaft (4 bolts at the diff), removing it, catching all the tranny fluid that leaks out, loosening your motor mounts, removing the tranny mount, and jacking up the front of the motor (like you do for a clutch job)... then you have clear view of the starter (and all other) bolts.

You can ziptie the shaft to the transmission to prevent fluid loss. You can also just let the transmission hang a bit without touching the engine, the weight of it will rotate the engine back in it's mounts.

Of course you shouldn't have to do any of that, a swivel extension is all you need for the top bolt like mentioned.

brndck
01-26-2008, 11:17 AM
you shouldn't need to remove the d/s at all. jack the car up so u can slide under it, get a swivel and a long extension and you should be fine. just remember to use 6pt sockets not 12pt to avoid rounding the head off.