PDA

View Full Version : Injector Cleaner

MegasquirtCA
01-23-2008, 06:16 PM
I figured I'd ask you peeps. Although this is a tech question its not 240sx related. Anyways my moms 2003 Jeep Liberty, I've been doing the maintenance on my moms liberty and I took it to the dealership to get new tires and alignment. While it was there the douchebag tells me that the air filter needs replacing and that the injectors need cleaning. The dochebag comes out and tells me we can do them for $300. I told him nah I'll do it myself scumbag.

So I replaced the air filter thanks to my boys auto parts discount.

Latly my moms been hounding my ass to do the injector cleaning so I figure is using one of those auto parts injector cleaning bottles that go in the gas tank alright to use?

S13Boosts
01-23-2008, 06:18 PM
seafoam, do it right!

MrChow
01-23-2008, 06:18 PM
LOL!!

Moving on now. Actually you putting it in when your about to fill up for empty.

MegasquirtCA
01-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Well I'm asking is if its ok to use that shit. Usually those additive crap for oil make shit worse.

My moms car is fine, still drives like its new, no idle problems yada yada everything is smooth. Its just shes nagging me to do it since the dealership said it should be done.

and no on the seafoam last thing I need is to be castrated when her shits smoking like crazy.

S13Boosts
01-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Well I'm asking is if its ok to use that shit. Usually those additive crap for oil make shit worse.

My moms car is fine, still drives like its new, no idle problems yada yada everything is smooth. Its just shes nagging me to do it since the dealership said it should be done.

and no on the seafoam last thing I need is to be castrated when her shits smoking like crazy.

na uh, you can put thru the gas tank too, ie injector cleaner..

MrChow
01-23-2008, 08:18 PM
^^^ What he said. You put in the gas tank. It's cool stuff.

burnsauto
01-23-2008, 08:20 PM
lucus injector cleaner (prob the smallest bottle on the shelf, lol) works really well...throw it in at any tank level.

The Chad
01-23-2008, 08:22 PM
SEAFOAM!!!!!
-Injector cleaner
-Carb Cleaner
-Fuel Stabilizer
-Frees Lifters
-De-Icer
-upper Cyl Lube
-Dries oil and Fuel

--FRICKEN AWESOME STUFF!!! :)

MegasquirtCA
01-23-2008, 09:04 PM
lucus injector cleaner (prob the smallest bottle on the shelf, lol) works really well...throw it in at any tank level.

Aparently you didnt read the shit it does to your Oil. So yea definatly not gonna do Lucas.

I'll probably do seafoam, redline, chevron techron or BG44k.

Aparently Honda, Toyota use BG44k.

unicoladron
01-23-2008, 09:15 PM
if you don't want her nagging anymore, and you're afraid to use the injector cleaner, just don't put it in, and tell your mom you put it in. a little white lie never hurt anyone. i personally use chevron if it matters to anyone.

unicoladron
01-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Aparently you didnt read the shit it does to your Oil. So yea definatly not gonna do Lucas.

what does lucas do to your oil? umm to my knowledge it made it fucking awesome (being kinda sarcastic), but you appear to have heard different.

does adding lucas fuel additive have some type of adverse affect to your oil? if so, how?

babowc
01-23-2008, 09:20 PM

So..
wtf does fuel additive have to do with oil again?

Seafoam ftwww.

probably doesnt matter what brand you use, they cant be TOO different..

MegasquirtCA
01-23-2008, 10:24 PM
The fact that Lucas oil tends to make great oil turn to shit in mins shows that Lucas products shouldnt be trusted.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

As for difference in brands, aparently there is. Something about some aditive "amines" PA that is very important that arent found in most injector cleaners.

emersonLP
01-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Oil and fuel go in different holes.
Lucas fuel additive is pretty good stuff.
Seafoam is also good, it doesnt smoke when you dump it in the gas tank.
When I seafoamed, I put half the bottle in through a vacuum line, then the other half I dumped in the gas tank.

Lucas oil additives do foam up, I don't put anything in my oil. Without having done any research, my position on oil additives is that for normal drivers who don't beat on their cars (and dont have a turbo charger), oil additives like lucas are probably fine.

MegasquirtCA
01-24-2008, 07:52 AM
Ok the whole lucas thing was to show that I dont trust lucas products. Im well aware gas and fuel are different however fuel additves actually make it to your oil which is why on most bottles it says to change the oil ASAP.

But anyways Lucas is no good so I dont want to chance it with their crap.

Plus good oil has the additives you need so no point in adding crap.

burnsauto
01-24-2008, 05:36 PM
lucas oil stabilizer shouldnt be added to a perfectly good engine, imo. its awesome stuff to help valve taps, etc.

but dont listen to me anyways, i wouldnt believe everything i read on the internet. ;)

MrChow
01-25-2008, 02:38 AM
Okay my friend put Lucas oil stuff in his S2k with 100k ish miles with his oil change. After about 5 miles driving it started to bog down at idle and sometimes die.
After changing the oil it was fine.

bo2o
01-25-2008, 02:52 AM
way too thick for s2k.

juss seafoam ftw.

seafoam your tank and cyclinders (vacumme). dont pour in motors unless it has a grip of miles like 150K to clean the head and stuff.

TOMKAIRA93
01-25-2008, 07:51 AM
Last week I went to Auto Zone to get me a bottle of sea foam. The guy at the counter recalled working at a shop where they'd charge customers $100 for complete fuel system/ ignition cleaning. All they used was sea foam or Lucas. And that my friend...is all I use as well. So...I'd say Lucas or sea foam. The end!

MegasquirtCA
01-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Moms Liberty has 68k thats why Im reluctant to do it. I may just do the "say I did it lie" and when it comes to 100k miles I'll have them professionally cleaned.

MrChow
01-25-2008, 11:15 AM

Moms Liberty has 68k thats why Im reluctant to do it. I may just do the "say I did it lie" and when it comes to 100k miles I'll have them professionally cleaned.
Just put one of those in. Easy and safe. I've done with my parents van with 60k miles I actually got like 2 or 3 mpg back. Super easy. Just do it.

unicoladron
01-25-2008, 12:04 PM

lying ftw!!!!

yeah, umm, how much lucas did you add to your s2k? i added to my truck and my cold start cranks were struggling, but that was only because the oil is pretty much solid when it's cold it's so damn thick. and it was like 10 degrees. i never had any bad experiences with it? older engines it does wonders. no need to add it to a 68k mile female driven liberty.

Also, if adding lucas oil additive to anything, let it heat up on your exhaust manifold, or somewhere warm that won't burn through the plastic container. it loosens up the oil and makes it eaier to pour.

HyperTek
01-25-2008, 01:07 PM
what fuel does she use? Good quality fuel wont need any injector cleaning, esp its only a 03

MrChow
01-25-2008, 02:26 PM
lying ftw!!!!

yeah, umm, how much lucas did you add to your s2k? i added to my truck and my cold start cranks were struggling, but that was only because the oil is pretty much solid when it's cold it's so damn thick. and it was like 10 degrees. i never had any bad experiences with it? older engines it does wonders. no need to add it to a 68k mile female driven liberty.

Also, if adding lucas oil additive to anything, let it heat up on your exhaust manifold, or somewhere warm that won't burn through the plastic container. it loosens up the oil and makes it eaier to pour.
Don't remember how he put in. He just started to use Royal purple. 7.99 per bottle isn't bad. So we just started to use it and everything is great now.

Anto
01-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Daamn
Some of you guys have it twisted.

Usually when dealerships do an "injector cleaning", it's more than just a tankful of cleaner.
They unhook the fuel feed line and pressurize your fuel rail with an injector cleaner (BG44k, etc.) and run your engine off that alone for a few minutes. Instead of mixed fuel and cleaner going through your tank, it's concentrated cleaner, which cleans faster than the bottle in your tank alone. Usually it's a 3 step process consisting of direct fuel rail cleaning, one bottle of cleaner in the tank, and a bottle of spray to clean the throttle body. I'd say 99% of the general car population don't have the tools necessary to make that kind of a connection to the car.

IF you want to do the bottle cleaning (which is good stuff), I'd recommend two cleaners in the tank. Chevron Techron & Gumout Regane (HAS to be the yellow stuff in the clear bottle).
You getting Chevron gas with Techron in it doesn't really do shit. There's not enough Techron in it to do anything over one tankful - it's more of a over time thing.
Lucas oil stabilizer is different than Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant. UCL is the stuff you put in your gas tank, but it's meant as more of a "with every tankful" kind of thing. My suggestion:
Tankful of Techron/Gumout additive, then if you want to, a few oz's of UCL every fill up if you want to.

jrocslider
01-25-2008, 03:38 PM
BG is probably gonna be ur best bet. my friend is an ASE master tech and will use all three and the chevron techron stuff

-BG (most expensive out of the bunch)
-seafoam (cheap)
-lucas fuel injector cleaner (cheap)
-Chevron Techron

RedtopTech
01-25-2008, 08:57 PM
As an A.S.E. Master Tech, i have obviously dealt with the majority of the products out there. Most products when used with any form of injection tool(vacuum induction, rail injection, throttle body induction) when used properly, will do great things as far as removing carbon build-up and varnish. This will clean the valves, ring lands, throttle body, EGR system, IAC system, injectors, and also the carbon that builds up on top of pistons. The only issue can be those tiny, hard pieces of carbon bouncing around and damaging valve seats and turbine blades. That being said i have never experienced said issues. The worst thing you can do is hydrolock the engine with it. I have heard of many instances's of hydrolocking but have only seen it once. A guy at the Chrysler dealer whom i worked with ran the vacuum supply version on full blast on a single cam 2L neon and actually got through the whole bottle before he decided to race the engine to around 5grand. Well all of the chemical that had pooled up in the intake was sucked right into the cylinders. That guy replaced a piston/rod for free.

boostdd
01-25-2008, 11:43 PM
i put lucas inector cleaner in my gas tank and it gave me a check engine light, i havent checked to see what code it is , but no check engine prior to the lucas stuff so who knows