PDA

View Full Version : clutches

s14slide
10-11-2002, 12:03 AM
does anybody know what kind of quality exedy clutches are or if anybody has any experience w/ them. I'm looking to get one at a really great price but just want to know if it's anygood for the ocassional drag(just to mess w/ the H's) and the ever-so-not-fast-enough-drift learning curve. In other words I go out and "play"(drift) at least twice a week. Thanks for your info. Hopefully this will work out to be a great buy.

gschroeder78
10-11-2002, 03:29 AM
I just bought one for my Z32 and I belive it is equivelant to stock. It is made by Dakin(sp?) which I've heard of before so I guessed that it would be good enough, at least for the price.

Anyways, to answer your question, I don't know because I haven't got it in yet but I imagine it won't be any better than the OEM clutch but it looks like pretty good quality.

dorifto240
10-11-2002, 03:38 AM
I just got my ACT street/strip clutch kit in and even though it comes wrapped in an ACT package the clutch disc has a stamp that reads "EXEDY made in Japan" so, I'm thinking that they must be alright..but like gschroeder78 I havent gotten it in yet, so I dont know what to tell you

bastard
10-15-2002, 11:02 PM
Exedy is the clutch king in Japan.  I believe that they are #1 in Japan so I am pretty sure that there clutches are good.  But also you need to know what type of clutch it is.  Street, multidisc, etc...  Just make sure that the holding capicity is way above stock cause stock clutches suck.
That's All
-MKM-

luke91
10-15-2002, 11:23 PM
So far I am happy with my ACT 6 puck w/heavy duty pressure plate.  I would have gotten the extreme plate, but ACT didn't feel it necessary to make one for an SR20DET.  

I had one in my civic, too, and it held up good.  

The one in my 240 is still very streetable, but the pedal pressure is not as stiff as I would've liked.  This makes me wonder how much power it will actually hold.  It definately takes some getting used to, though.

One other benefit to having a 3, 4, or 6 puck un-sprung clutch is that they are lighter than clutches with sprung hubs.  

Also, I would do a flywheel, too, while you're at it.  Both installs are a pain in the ass.  

Hope this helps

--luke

Grant
10-17-2002, 01:15 AM
as far as i remember, Daiken is the same (or owned by the same company) as Exedy. They are suppliers of the OEM clutch for nissans. ACT uses a modified Daiken pressure plate (heavy duty)and OEM daiken disc (OEM)..

I'd definately go with ACT. good, durable, clutches.