PDA

View Full Version : 1990 240sx Fuel Pump Problem

yangster_boi90
01-18-2008, 01:12 PM
wats up guys.. i have 240sx and the freaken fuel pump keep on dying on me. some days it will work and then some days it dies. everytime it dies i have to change the pump then itll start working again. iono why it does this. any suggestion?

driftordiemike
01-18-2008, 01:15 PM
dude ive been haveing the same problem

yangster_boi90
01-22-2008, 01:17 PM
oh yea...it sucks man. one day i was driving home from work then all a sudden the freakin fuel pump died. there was no car passing by too. so i had to push the freakin car by my self to a parking lot then i switched the new pump to the old pump so it started working again. the next day i drove to a taco truck then all a sudden the fuel pump died again. this time i fixed it right in front of the taco truck. took me 20 minutes then took off. you know wats the problem with this?

Skullavera
01-22-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm unsure of what your problem may be but definitely check your fuel pump relay and fuel filter. If you have a circuit tester, check to see if your pump is getting any power when it is "dead" by comparing the wires getting power in both working and non-working states. Check the fuel pump assembly plug as well, the blue one that can be accessed from your hatch or trunk that has a small hump-like cover held in place by two bolts. That's what I'd do.

wannabe_drifter
01-22-2008, 01:41 PM
You might wanna check your gas tank to see if there's no debris/rust.

A guy on a local forum, had his fuel pump die on him and that was the cause for it.
When he removed the filter from the pump there was some brown shit that got out of there. So he had his tank cleaned at a radiator shop (they have steam cleaners good for that). He then changed his fuel pump and everything is still running good.

He said his fuel pump cover was not perfectly sealed before so water would get in and make the upper part of the tank rust.

johngriff
01-22-2008, 01:46 PM
+1 on the rust.

Make sure when you reseal the new sending unit you use a new OEM sending unit O-Ring.

Then, make sure you have a NEW WELL SEALED pump pickup filter (it goes on the fuel pump).

THEN, NEVER DRIVE THE CAR under 1/4 tank of fuel. Especially if you are DRFTING it around allot.

The pumps in the 240sx need to be submerged in fuel to stay cool, the fuel dissipates heat created by the pump, if they run low all the time, they will have a very short life.

unicoladron
01-22-2008, 02:19 PM
also, our cars are nearing "classic status". by this i mean the wiring is getting old, wear and tear is evident, but not always the most obvious. there are companies out there that actually make new fuel pump relay/wiring kits. i'm guessing for this specific purpose. i would say check your fuel pump wiring condition in addition to performing the above recommendations.