PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded brakes i recently...

bbejj123
01-17-2008, 11:03 PM
today i did a brake swap from stock s13 brakes to j30 calipers and rotors but kept the stock brake master cylinder or what ever it is called... but i couldnt get any pressure out of it so i took it to a shop and they said there was a leak in the master cylinder...so i am wondering do the j30 calipers and rotors need a different master cylinder? and is that why it got an interal leak? or am i just unlucky? i am wondering because the stock s13 brakes are a single piston and the j30 brakes are dual piston...does it even make a difference ? master cylinder wise?

thanks, Brett

garagelu
01-17-2008, 11:11 PM
no you probably just have an old master cylinder. And did the shop give you a legit explanation about the leak? Make sure you replace the correct part. Make sure its not your brake booster or something.

Upgrading to the J30 brakes has nothing to do with that. But its strange you didnt have any problems with a leaky master with the stock brakes. Maybe you just didnt notice it.

bbejj123
01-17-2008, 11:14 PM
no you probably just have an old master cylinder. And did the shop give you a legit explanation about the leak? Make sure you replace the correct part. Make sure its not your brake booster or something.

Upgrading to the J30 brakes has nothing to do with that. But its strange you didnt have any problems with a leaky master with the stock brakes. Maybe you just didnt notice it.
yeah weird...it might have happened when i tried to bleed them myself haha...but they said the mechanic knew that it was a problem with it he said there was a leak inside...i even told him it didnt have a problem but he insisted so yeah

thanks for the quick response gives me peace of mind haha:bigok:

EDacIouSX
01-17-2008, 11:20 PM
did you even bleed it correctly?? could be that. gotta jack up the bac of the car or some shit and bleed all 4.

bbejj123
01-17-2008, 11:27 PM
did you even bleed it correctly?? could be that. gotta jack up the bac of the car or some shit and bleed all 4.
i bled it how i bled my other cars...but not that way...but it always worked with my others cars...weird...but thanks i didnt noe there was a special way to do it

MrChow
01-17-2008, 11:47 PM
It should be the same with all cars... "should" Did you bleed from rear pass, rear driver, front pass, front driver?
Get the FSM it'll show you. Or the shop could be right.

bbejj123
01-17-2008, 11:56 PM
It should be the same with all cars... "should" Did you bleed from rear pass, rear driver, front pass, front driver?
Get the FSM it'll show you. Or the shop could be right.

i just did the fronts because i only changed the fronts sorry should have mention that...but i dont think i have to do the back when only changing the fronts...but i could be wrong im kinda new at brakes anyways haha:newbie: but its at the shop and they said they tried to bleed it too they did a full flush of the brakes and still didnt get any pressure so im guessing that its the master cylinder

ManoNegra
01-18-2008, 08:22 AM
As far as bleeding you start with the farthest caliper and work your way back. On our cars it would be rear driver, rear passenger, front passenger and front driver.

tunerzimage
01-18-2008, 11:19 AM
make sure the left and right calipers aren't switched.

the bleeder screw must be on the top of each caliper.

i made this mistake, swapped them and instantly got pressure again. :bigok:

Koopa Troopa
01-18-2008, 11:26 AM
It costs all of like $15 to get a master cylinder rebuild kit and takes all of 10 minutes to do.

bbejj123
01-18-2008, 12:44 PM

i think i may have made the same mistake =)...haha thanks ill try that and it should work =) thanks

Also just to note. Bleeding brakes or clutching isn't a one person job actually unless you have speed bleeders.

haha yes i am aware of that thats why i had my friend with me haha tahnks tho

MrChow
01-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Also just to note. Bleeding brakes or clutching isn't a one person job actually unless you have speed bleeders.

aznpoopy
01-18-2008, 03:21 PM
it's extremely common for old master cylinders to go during a bleeding process.

people try to avoid this by consciously not pushing down the pedal all the way for an old master during bleed. reason is, iirc, that crap accumulates in the master over time, and as that crap gets forced through the seals it damages them.

smelly240
01-18-2008, 03:36 PM
it is illegal in some states to sell/purchase BMC rebuild kits...

HyperTek
01-18-2008, 04:11 PM
you should try a brake bleed hand pump.. i jus did brake swap on my fc this past week and couldnt for the life of me or my 4 other buddies who tried to help, couldnt get all the air out of the rear lines so i had no brake pressure.. tried for over 3 days. til i decided to go purchase one of those pumps and i got it done.

hopefully your car really needs a new m/c.. i know my friend is a mechanic and he told me stuff like telling people they need a tranny rebuild cuz thier car isnt autoshifting right and after doin the rebuild turns out it wasnt the tranny itself.. so there are some mechanics out there that dont know much.

bbejj123
01-18-2008, 10:49 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED:aw:

turns out the calipers were on the wrong rotors hehe... i switched them and got instant pressure back thanks tunerzimage

and thank you everyone for the feedback couldnt have done it without ya

tunerzimage
01-19-2008, 02:49 PM
PROBLEM SOLVED:aw:

turns out the calipers were on the wrong rotors hehe... i switched them and got instant pressure back thanks tunerzimage

and thank you everyone for the feedback couldnt have done it without ya

No prob! Glad you got the problem fixed. I had the same issue, its really easy to mistake the different sides.

:bigok: