PDA

View Full Version : HIDs on an s13 (flip ups)

slow40sx
01-17-2008, 10:41 PM
I recently purchased some 8K HIDs and some H4 conversion semi sealed head lamps, i was wondering if there is a write up on the installation just so i don't fuck anything up and i was also wondering if i should get projector head lamps or just keep my H4 conversion head lamps. any input is much appreciated, thanks

s13abuser
01-17-2008, 10:44 PM
i would say get projecters i saw that once on a s13 it looked really nice but i do know that it will not be cheapt to do

kandyflip445
01-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Throw away the kit and either use some properly designed HID projectors or run some GOOD halogen bulbs in GOOD H4 housings (Hella or Cibie).

I've been where you are. It's bright but the spead of light and the even-ness is crap. And the cutoff is crap.

Save yourself some trouble and put it up on ebay and get some real lighting.

pignose4life
01-17-2008, 10:46 PM
if you want
http://199.199.151.63/august02/240sx_hid/

dops13
01-17-2008, 10:47 PM
You should get projector HIDs and retrofit them into your flip up headlights. Clearcorners.com has them for sale. If you put HIDs (the plug and play kit) in a H4 housing, there will be a lot of glare to on the on comming traffic.

slow40sx
01-17-2008, 11:13 PM
so whats proper equipment what should i get? i haven't found a site with a full kit specifically for the 240sx 89-94

kandyflip445
01-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Sadly there are no "kits" to do it. You would have to do something like Halo did on his with some 90mm Hella projectors to go with something like the clearcorners setup. Or get a plastic H4 housing and cut it up to retro something like a s2k or tsx projector. I dunno which one would fit in the pop ups. The EASIEST way to get HIDs that are good would be to get them from Mike at clearcorners, but not everyone can afford his baller lighting.

jrocslider
01-17-2008, 11:25 PM
you'll be good with sum cibie's and those 8k's

jussjepbrox
01-17-2008, 11:32 PM
get the h4 conversion lights at kragen there like 40 bucks, there plastic but work well. theydont have a halo so its super bright

dops13
01-17-2008, 11:39 PM
you'll be good with sum cibie's and those 8k's

get the h4 conversion lights at kragen there like 40 bucks, there plastic but work well. theydont have a halo so its super bright

I dont know about you guys, but I wouldnt like people shining a big ass flashlight into my eyes so I cant see the road at night when Im driving. The point is... you can see put the HIDs in the H4 housing and it will work. That is if you dont care about other people; and endangering yourself and others on the road.

Creizai
01-18-2008, 12:50 AM
your not getting better light quality all your pretty much going to do is end up running with your rights on and no cutoff at all.

blackcoupe
01-18-2008, 01:02 AM
is a set up with 4300k hids and HELLA H4 housin sufficient?

jrocslider
01-18-2008, 07:54 AM
I dont know about you guys, but I wouldnt like people shining a big ass flashlight into my eyes so I cant see the road at night when Im driving. The point is... you can see put the HIDs in the H4 housing and it will work. That is if you dont care about other people; and endangering yourself and others on the road.

why are you making a big ass deal out of it seriously?

it really isnt that bad

ROIDMONKEY
01-18-2008, 08:45 AM
i did it on mine , not hard to do , only tools u need is a drill,Philip screw driver and some patient ,first u make the headlight's up by turning on the switch (no headlight) then remove the plastic cover around headlight(4 philips screws) then u gonna see a chrome metal that hold the headlight , remove that too and thats it , now remove the headlight and unplug the headlight connector, start preparing ur new headlight's with HID's when u done with that look for a place to locate the HID"s ballast I was able to put my next to the flip up motor with a screw(using the drill) the rest is a piece of cake the HID's have a black and red cable, the headlight plug have i believe 2 pinks and a black one connect the black from the HID's with the black of the car and the red in one of the pinks (one is the high and the other one low ) use the low bean of course , from the bulb to the ballast is plug and play , no way u can make a mistake with those connectors . ill say hardest part is to locate a good place for the ballast .
BTW i never was able to find a headlight kit that sit properly, they all were dancing a bit (never try hella's). make sure to adjust that

firelizard
01-18-2008, 08:53 AM
I think the "get HID projectors you twat" argument has been beat to death, so I'll just recommend that you wire your unsafe illegal HID conversion according to instructions very carefully, with no hacked up connections, mount the ballasts securely, and aim them as well as you can. And don't do it.

projectRDM
01-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Doesn't matter what kind of housing you use, 8000K bulbs are way too blue colored to provide anything but a weird hue. 4300K-4800K is the closest to white light, anything else and you're just loosing valuable light output.

SoSideways
01-18-2008, 10:39 AM
why are you making a big ass deal out of it seriously?

it really isnt that bad

I think the concern that most people have is that, when you blind someone w/ the glare from your HID kit into H4 housing, that the person getting blinded may steer into you while blind, thus causing a head on collision.

Not only is that bad for the other guy, but you're now also involved, and will more than likely be blamed for the accident, as you should because you really did cause it.

Then you'll be taken to court, if you don't die, and have to pay out the ass for court fees, and may have your car crushed because it's illegally modified.

Or, you could die, and as Brook Shields said in a commercial against smoking, "if you die, you would have lost out on a big part of your life".

axiomatik
01-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Doesn't matter what kind of housing you use, 8000K bulbs are way too blue colored to provide anything but a weird hue. 4300K-4800K is the closest to white light, anything else and you're just loosing valuable light output.

just last night I was driving next to a 350z with some sort of drop in HID, 8000k at least. His lights weren't worth shit. My lights (Hella e-codes) were putting twice as much light on the road. And his lights were so blue you couldn't see stuff clearly. Get hella e-code conversion housings ($85 bucks from rallylights.com) and some good bulbs and you will get much better lighting than any drop in HID kit.

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showpost.php?p=1246349&postcount=12

Anto
01-18-2008, 12:03 PM
WTF

isn't there like a 20 page thread on this shit?

KA-T_240
01-18-2008, 04:42 PM
^yes. way to lazy to find it at the moment.

PoorMans180SX
01-18-2008, 06:19 PM
What is Hella's website? I can't bloody find it!

undesiredshoe
01-18-2008, 09:38 PM

The day when everyone cares about me is when ill start caring about them.