PDA

View Full Version : helpp DRL install

speedking83
01-17-2008, 08:30 PM
i need to install DRL on my 240sx 1997.
it looks like it can be done by modifying the module,
anyone has any idea how? should i just bring it to the dealer?
i wonder how much those stealers would charge for this

speedking83
01-18-2008, 08:36 AM
ttt anyone can answer?

firelizard
01-18-2008, 08:55 AM
The dealership I phoned (omg it took 20sec of my life!!) said 300 bucks.

That said, I would recommend just doing it yourself.

Unfortunately, I don't know how. Until someone else chimes in, I would suggest looking into some wiring diagrams and/or the FSM.
They should have the diagram for Canadian and US models, showing the DRL and non-DRL configurations.

Also, try phoning a non-dealership shop. Their labour rates are most likely cheaper.

g6civcx
01-18-2008, 08:55 AM
i need to install DRL on my 240sx 1997.
it looks like it can be done by modifying the module,
anyone has any idea how? should i just bring it to the dealer?
i wonder how much those stealers would charge for this

You need the daytime light control unit. The unit dims the high beam at half intensity whenever the engine is running and the handbrake is off, and even while the handbrake is on after driving with the handbrake off.

Look in the EL section of the FSM. You need to tap some of the wire harnesses if your car isn't equipped with DRL originally.

I believe kouki S14s have provisions for DRL harnesses to plug in, but no actual DRL wires. If Russ could comment you will know for sure.

This isn't that difficult to do, but I'd imagine the dealer would charge you a lot. Why don't you do some research and call around first before asking?

g6civcx
01-18-2008, 08:56 AM
The dealership I phoned (omg it took 20sec of my life!!) said 300 bucks.

That said, I would recommend just doing it yourself.

Unfortunately, I don't know how.

20 seconds is all it took for a positive answer.

projectRDM
01-18-2008, 09:44 AM
If your car is Canadian market it should already have it. US cars are not prewired for any part of the DRL system, so you would need to buy the control unit, get plugs from a salvage car, build the entire harness, and wire it in.

JVD
01-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Could you not just add a relay to trigger when the ignition is turned on? I'm assuming it's not a Kouki because he's in Canada. Most likely a JDM vehicle that needs DRL's to pass OOP inspection.

I just used my front markers as DRL's to pass inspection. Ripped it out now though.

projectRDM
01-18-2008, 09:51 AM
You could, but that would just turn the lights on at full brightness. The DRL system dims the output by 40%. Depends on the requirements, some states/cities regulate the light's output.

JVD
01-18-2008, 09:54 AM
You could, but that would just turn the lights on at full brightness. The DRL system dims the output by 40%. Depends on the requirements, some states/cities regulate the light's output.
Oh, IC. Just realized he said it's a 1997 too. Haha. Oops. Thanks for clarifying. I never understood why those modules were needed.

Oh, and pretty much nothing is regulated here. Haha. About the only thing you ever get a ticket for is tint on all windows.