PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel tremble/shaking/shimmy/vibrating

2fourDsx
01-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Let me start off by saying that I have searched...

A few months ago I was rotating my tires and a rear driver side stud busted off. Afterwards the car would violently shake and cause vibration through the whole car whenever I hit a bump on the freeway at 65mph OR I started to turn the steering wheel to follow a freeway lane at 65mph. I replaced the stud and figured I needed a wheel balance but that didn't fix the problem. I rotated the rims back and that didn't fix the problem. I had a full alignment and that didn't change anything. I searched through Zilvia land and read that it could be the tie rods and steering rack bushing. I've replaced the tie rods with Tein inners and outers and Nismo steering rack bushings. Now the car doesn't shake violently like it used too... but when I'm following the freeway lane and slightly turn the wheel (at any high speed), the steering wheel will tremble until the lane straightens up. Before I changed the tie rods/bushings, the car didn't feel safe to drive. Now I'm driving the car but when I turn, the steering wheel trembles and I feel like there is a slight pull towards the opposite direction in which I'm turning. I did have another full alignment with toe adjust after I installed the rods, but now I'm not sure what else could be wrong. I've checked the wheel bearings and didn't feel any movement. I can recall reading about ball joints and I heard that it is easier to just buy new LCA's then to try and change the ball joints. The only other mods I have are KYB GR-2 shocks and prothane tension rod bushings that I changed about a year ago before any of these problems. Any help would be good karma for you!

**edit**Another thing I forgot to add is that every morning, or after my car has been sitting for about 8 hours or so, right after I back my car up and I put it into drive, I can hear a loud clunking sound coming from the front suspension as soon as I roll forward. For the first 5 minutes of driving I can hear a whining sound when I turn. It's really hard to describe the sound but it's similar to a stressing sound. It only makes the sound for 5 minutes of driving so by the time I get to a mechanic, it's gone and nobody knows what I'm talking about. I have a feeling that the shake has to deal with the clunking/whining sound but I don't know what to look for.**edit**

-2fourDsx

chuy
01-16-2008, 08:07 PM
something lose perhaps.

s13silvia123
01-16-2008, 08:15 PM
if your tires are bald that could cause it.
your control arms if its loose or bent could cause it.

these are some factors but you'll have to check them again to make sure.

better now than never cause its not safe drving like that you could get seriously hurt

khilgers
01-16-2008, 08:15 PM
As far as ball joints go, they're not that hard to replace and considerably cheaper than buying new LCA's. I'm not sure on the shaking though, it is a possibility that your ball joints are to blame. I would put the car on jackstands and start taking a look at EVERY suspension component and start eliminating things.

steve_o1989
01-16-2008, 08:40 PM
How is the conditon of your tires? If they are bad then they could possibly be causing some problems for you.

2fourDsx
01-16-2008, 11:00 PM
I have 225/50 Kumho Ecsta AST on 16x8 R32 GTR rims. I don't drift or do anything fancy to kill tires and I've had them for about 15,000 miles. The wear is even and it still has tread. Another thing I forgot to add is that every morning, or after my car has been sitting for about 8 hours or so, right after I back my car up and I put it into drive, I can hear a loud clunking sound coming from the front suspension as soon as I roll forward. For the first 5 minutes of driving I can hear a whining sound when I turn. It's really hard to describe the sound but it's similar to a stressing sound. It only makes the sound for 5 minutes of driving so by the time I get to a mechanic, it's gone and nobody knows what I'm talking about. I have a feeling that the shake has to deal with the clunking/whining sound but I don't know what to look for.

-2fourDsx

Koopa Troopa
01-17-2008, 12:31 AM
I don't recall reading about you replacing that broken wheel stud but I assumed you just forgot to mention that...

Anyways the wheel could be bent.

2fourDsx
01-17-2008, 07:24 AM
What's weird is that I've had these rims for the past two years without any problems. I don't remember hitting anything or dipping any huge potholes. I've also switched the rims back and forth a couple times now.

-2fourDsx

aznpoopy
01-17-2008, 11:26 AM
jack up the corner and check for play in the wheel. when my front wheel bearings went bad it would shake the wheel at highway speeds

edit: nvm you did that already. well now that just sucks. good luck

lonelydrifter
01-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Do you have power steering? Check all your fluid levels. A whining sound could be from your pump. You probly checked this but I just want to make sure.

Flybert
01-17-2008, 01:30 PM
It's one of these things.

LCA balljoint
Hub is bad and has play
Steering Rack is worn out

TOMKAIRA93
01-17-2008, 01:34 PM
sounds like the Steering rack is f-up!

2fourDsx
01-18-2008, 02:11 AM
Yes I have power steering and all the fluids look full. How can you tell if the steering rack is messed up? The problem is that I don't have a rack to lift the car up, nor do I know what I'm looking for.

-2fourDsx

2fourDsx
02-17-2008, 08:49 PM
I've replaced the LCA's with brand new OEM units and the problem is still present. So is the rack-and-pinion and the steering rack the same part that I haven't replaced or fixed yet? What is the cost I should be hearing to have it repaired?

slider2828
02-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Damn I have nearly exactly the same problem, but I hear clunk in my rear. Here is what I would do, I know I kinda of stripped the tranny support bolt so I am going to chase it and put a larger bolt there. I doubt it can be the steering rack because checking for play should tell you how the steering rack is going bad. Rack and pinions usually don't go bad and a remanuf. is about $300 just for the labor. I think I will proceed to LOOSEN and retorque all bolts that has something to do with the suspenion and drive train.

Good luck

ManoNegra
02-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Do you have power steering? Check all your fluid levels. A whining sound could be from your pump. You probly checked this but I just want to make sure.

Yes I have power steering and all the fluids look full. How can you tell if the steering rack is messed up? The problem is that I don't have a rack to lift the car up, nor do I know what I'm looking for.

-2fourDsx

I've been chasing down a similar problem. Did/checked most of the same things: bushings, balljoints, clutch, distributor, plugs, etc...
Thinking now it may be the power steering - similar symphtoms: car is rough during freeway speeds, bumpy over rough roads, floaty over even ones, whinning noises from the front.
Took a look at PS fluid and it was orange as opposed to red. Flushed the ps fluid and the car improved but still rough. Thinking the PS pump is a goner by now. Not the first time I hear of people not using ATF on nissans as they should and f-ing things up.

unicoladron
02-26-2008, 04:16 PM
have you looked at your steering rack bushings? i've seen this alot on this forum. how about your TC rods? (the rods connecting your LCA to the front of your chassis).

how about your tie-rod ends?

are your tires balanced?

aw fuck i just read you have nismo steering rack bushings..

ok let's see....make sure your steering rack bolts are tightened to your x-member. there is a total of Four 17MM bolts connecting your steering rack to your x-member. while yo u're down there. make sure your x-member is tightened to your frame rails (probably not the problem at all but just check...ya know).

Also, my friend's 350Z had a similar problem after we replaced his engine (he hydrolocked it lol) and the douche forgot to tighten his steering column to the steering rack.

so make sure your steering column is tightened to the steering rack spline. there is onoe bolt that clamps the column to the steering rack.

you've pretty much replaced all your suspension. this is nasty.

DJ_Sunrise
02-26-2008, 04:51 PM
How long were you driving on 4 studs? Check the center bearing on the driveshaft. They usually clunk when changing forward/backward.

-Bart

slider2828
02-26-2008, 09:07 PM
My problem is that it comes and goes away during turns only, so if it shakes it will shake when I straighten out and when it is smooth, it is smooth when I straighten out. What could that be? Bushings on the rear I think, cause I have replaced all 4 hubs/bearinhgs, FrontLCA, coilovers, rack bushings, Tensions arm bushings, sub frame spacers, balanced all 4 tires, tie rods, tie rod ends, 4 rotors, all sway bar bushings and dlinks, power steering pump, checked lower engine mount bolts.... Maybe an alignment might help? Had one around 6 months ago..... PIA I swear

Will rear end link bushings shake the car?

2fourDsx
02-28-2008, 12:04 AM
Since I've changed the LCA's, there is a clunk when I press on the brakes quickly. Damnit! I give up already... I'm going to the alignment shop that all the local drifters go to and have them diagnose the problem... I figure I could shellout another $500 and have the steering rack replaced or save $500 and make sure it is my steering rack before I change it. I don't know if I've gotten used to slight shake but the sound in the morning really concerns me now. I don't know how to describe the sound but it sounds like a clunking and scraping coming from the front. **Here is an attempt to describe the other sound while turning** If you have ever been around a forklift while it was rising... that is the closest sound I can think of to describe the sound while I'm making a turn. The worst part is that after 5 mins of driving, the sounds go away so I can't show a mechanic the sound. Well I have an appt at 8AM tomorrow so I'll let you guys know what they say.

DJ_Sunrise: Immediately after I busted he stud I noticed the wobbles and I drove on the 4 studs for about a month.

-2fourDsx

MadMaverick
02-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Since I've changed the LCA's, there is a clunk when I press on the brakes quickly. Damnit! I give up already... I'm going to the alignment shop that all the local drifters go to and have them diagnose the problem... I figure I could shellout another $500 and have the steering rack replaced or save $500 and make sure it is my steering rack before I change it. I don't know if I've gotten used to slight shake but the sound in the morning really concerns me now. I don't know how to describe the sound but it sounds like a clunking and scraping coming from the front. **Here is an attempt to describe the other sound while turning** If you have ever been around a forklift while it was rising... that is the closest sound I can think of to describe the sound while I'm making a turn. The worst part is that after 5 mins of driving, the sounds go away so I can't show a mechanic the sound. Well I have an appt at 8AM tomorrow so I'll let you guys know what they say.

DJ_Sunrise: Immediately after I busted he stud I noticed the wobbles and I drove on the 4 studs for about a month.

-2fourDsx

Why dont you drop your car off the night before, so when they get your car, its cold? We diagnose cold problems all the time, its simply a matter of letting your car sit for a while before we diagnose it. An alignment will not fix your vibration, I think ive posted this like 10 times in the past week. The whine is almost certainly your ps pump. When was the last time you had the fluid flushed? What color is it? Do you have any leaks?

The clunk from reverse to forward could be TC rods or the carrier bearing on your driveshaft. Did you ever check your TC rods? They hold the LCA in position. It looks like you have just been throwing parts at the car hoping your problem will dissapear. Its time to properly diagnose your problem. Take a look at your TC rod bushings (where they attach to the frame brace). If you have never changed them, they are prolly shot to shit. Get a pry bar or large screwdriver in there and try to move them, if you can wiggle them by hand, think about what they are doing goin down the road.

2fourDsx
03-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks Madmaverick, I changed the power steering pump and that stopped all the weird noises in the morning. I also asked the mechanic to check my steering rack and he said it seemed fine. I'm going to buy new tires... even though 3 alignment shops said my tires are still good... I'm out of ideas.

Work done:
01/07 Front brake pads
05/07 KYB GR-2's and Prothane tension rod bushings
12/07 Rear brake pads

Parts changed last 5 months:
November: I busted a lug on the driver-side rear and I started to notice the steering wheel would shimmy once I was on the freeway.
December: I replaced the stud and I figured I needed a wheel balance and full alignment but that didn't cure it.
January: I had inner and outer Tein tie rods along with a Nismo steering rack bushing put in and that made the vibration less violent.
February: The LCA's were switched to replace the old ball joints and that made the steering a little better in the city but the freeway is the same.
March: New power steering pump fixed all the strange noises my car was making in the morning, but the shimmy is still present once I go over 70mph.

**UPDATE- For some reason, 2 days after I changed the power steering pump, the shaking stopped. I was looking for the shake right after I changed the pump (in some crazy hopes that the steering pump would stop the shaking) and it was still there... but then a couple days later I didn't notice it anymore. It's weird cause I have no idea why it stopped, but I'm still getting new tires anyways. :bigok: **