PDA

View Full Version : Oil Problem

Nskylinerb-25
01-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Here is the situation I have a KA that got completely rebuilt w Hyperuthectic pistons.... I drop the engine and everything and everything sounded fine... drove the car for about 2 months checked the oil and there was very little oil in the oil stick so I put about 3 Qt. changed the oil again around 3K and then about 1 1/2 months later same problem no oil. It smokes black smoke once in a while and I don't see were it could be leaking from there is no oil stains on my drive way. Any sugestion???

Thanx.

womenbeshoppin
01-16-2008, 03:53 PM
u do a compression test?

womenbeshoppin
01-16-2008, 03:54 PM
also, how did u break in the engine?

smurfgcr
01-16-2008, 04:00 PM
if your running synthetic then it may just be leaking out of somewhere slowly, its more viscous i believe. check all your seals and make sure everything is torqued. i lose almost a quart every few weeks out of some really random places even with all new gaskets and everything torqued down to spec...

Nskylinerb-25
01-17-2008, 03:11 PM
No I havent done a compression test and yeah I broke in the engine I have it about 3000 miles you think I might of need it more.... and no it's just regular oil that Im using. I checked everywere on the engine and I don't see anywere from were it could be leaking. Im going to take out the spark plugs and check them... don't know what could be happening to it.

GSXRJJordan
01-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Definitely check the plugs, but if you were only losing oil at full throttle/max pressure (which is the case with some rings in freshly-rebuilt engines), you wouldn't see any wetness on the plugs. That's why you do a compression check while the plugs are out - then you know everything you need to know.

Nskylinerb-25
01-18-2008, 10:06 AM
I checked the plugs and they were all alittle black on the tip and they smelled like gas the only on that had alittle oil on the top of the tread was #2. But I'll do a compresion test later when I get the tools. Also Im using 10W-30 Oil and it's pretty hot down here should I be using thicker oil

Nskylinerb-25
01-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Ok well I did a compression test and it read 150, 145, 150, 145 and I was like:wtf: so I pour alittle bit of oil on the spark plug hole and it picked up the compression to 160 + when today when I started the car it started to trow white smoke so I don't know. What do you guys think Im going to take it to the mechanic back tomorrow but I don't want him to try and give me a story about why is doing that.

GSXRJJordan
01-22-2008, 08:37 PM
That compression is a bit low for a KA, but as long as they're all within 5% of each other, you're probably OK. The white smoke could very well have been grey smoke from the oil you put in there.

Nskylinerb-25
01-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Ok update well I took it to the mechanic he checked it out and he told me that it could be that something from the valve I don't remember what it was but the thing is that the head of the motor was made up out of like 3 different heads. 2 from a 94 and the other one from a 97 could there be a problem w that.....

Nskylinerb-25
01-29-2008, 08:36 PM
OK sorry for the last crappy post. The mechanic told me it was the valve retainers and thats from were the oil was coming out off which I don't even know if it's true anymore...

projectRDM
01-30-2008, 09:01 AM
Valve seals. If they're leaking, you're burning the excess oil in the engine, hence the grey smoke out the exhaust.

Nskylinerb-25
01-31-2008, 07:15 PM
but what about the valve retainers could that be causing the problem as well...

louisdaboois
01-31-2008, 07:36 PM
nah yo. the retainers basically do what the name says... retain the valve so it doesnt fall into the combustion chamber... granted, did you rebuild the head as well? cause if not, re-grinding the valve seats may help.

also, by some slim chance did you remember to offset the piston ring gaps?