PDA

View Full Version : sr probs

Munki
01-15-2008, 11:49 AM
So the other day I was driving home on the freeway and I noticed that my car started to over heat. So I pulled over and turn the car off to let it cool down and put some more water in the radiator. It was taking forever to cool down so I just started the car again and the temp gauge was now showing a normal temperature. I get about a mile further down the road and it started over heating again, so I popped the hood and noticed allot of smoke was coming out of the valve cover on the turbo side. And also, the side of the valve cover was burnt. After that I called a friend to pick me up and I come back the next day to check on the car and it starts up fine, idles perfect, but, it makes a really loud knocking sound. I tried the drive the car into a gas station that was close to me and now I have no power at all. It feels like I have a crazy boost leak.

Anyone have a clue as of what going on with the car??

Munki
01-15-2008, 12:57 PM
I started the car up this morning and the knocking isnt as loud anymore. Are those signs of rod knock??

GabeS14
01-16-2008, 12:29 AM
blown engine maybe ?
any big leaks?

back when i had my Ka it actually even started up after blowing the engine, there was a hole about the size of a small fist on the side of it but it still started up 2 times after i blew it.

Munki
01-16-2008, 08:18 AM
There arn't any leaks.. The engine is full of oil too.

I've been starting up the car acouple times every day to see if something else comes up and it starts up fine each time.

I also noticed that the engine is burnt on the side of the vavle cover. I'll try to get some pics later.

Munki
01-16-2008, 08:27 AM
This is where the engine is burnt.
http://www.hi-upload.com/upload/uploaded7/020_sr20det_06yhjty.JPG

SILVIA_KIDs14.5
01-16-2008, 08:28 AM
So the other day I was driving home on the freeway and I noticed that my car started to over heat. So I pulled over and turn the car off to let it cool down and put some more water in the radiator. It was taking forever to cool down so I just started the car again and the temp gauge was now showing a normal temperature. I get about a mile further down the road and it started over heating again, so I popped the hood and noticed allot of smoke was coming out of the valve cover on the turbo side. And also, the side of the valve cover was burnt. After that I called a friend to pick me up and I come back the next day to check on the car and it starts up fine, idles perfect, but, it makes a really loud knocking sound. I tried the drive the car into a gas station that was close to me and now I have no power at all. It feels like I have a crazy boost leak.

Anyone have a clue as of what going on with the car??

check your oil see if it looks like cottage chesse in it white curddle shit you most likely have a blown head gasket and i'm sure there was rod knock if you heard a loud knocking sound so you may depending how bad it was could need a bottom end rebuild had the same thing happen to my old detla 88 blew the head gasket and then the bottom end kinda went so my sugestion woudl be do a compression test see wuts up then take the head off see if the gasket is gone also might wanna get the head checked out to see if its warped might need to get it plained ect ect
good luck man

Munki
01-16-2008, 09:14 AM
If I have a blown HG won’t the car keep wanting to die and idle way to low?

The car doesn’t die or idle low… And the oil looks good. :confused:

MavericStephenc
01-16-2008, 09:21 AM
mabye it could be the turbo as far as the sound goes. check for shaft play and check the oil feed and water lines. thats what it came down to on my sr

legacy927
01-16-2008, 09:23 AM
as what silvia kid said, its the head gasket. also check your radiator, look at the coolant, if its like mud color, most likely your gasket is gone, and anti freeze probably in your system already...

you should start thinking of rebuilding the motor...

good luck...

Munki
01-16-2008, 09:31 AM
mabye it could be the turbo as far as the sound goes. check for shaft play and check the oil feed and water lines. thats what it came down to on my sr

I doubt it’s the turbo because it rattles at idle too.

MavericStephenc
01-16-2008, 09:32 AM
my turbo did as well, cant hurt to check

Munki
01-16-2008, 09:33 AM
my turbo did as well, cant hurt to check
Ill have to check that then.

SILVIA_KIDs14.5
01-16-2008, 09:41 AM
hmmm dunno man i don't recall my car idling low but not sure hope ya find out wuts up

Koopa Troopa
01-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Uh, did you pull the valve cover yet? I'm guessing the gasket didn't seat right and you fried some oil that was leaking out....

GabeS14
01-16-2008, 02:28 PM
Uh, did you pull the valve cover yet? I'm guessing the gasket didn't seat right and you fried some oil that was leaking out....

thats a good one... would be very simple to check too, before you start tearing stuff out!!!

fliprayzin240sx
01-16-2008, 10:32 PM
The head could have burnt up when the engine was overheating. Start off by doing a compression check to make sure the head gasket is done. then lift the valve cover and see how much shiet got cooked and damaged in there. You're probably ticking there.

The only thing thats kinda suspect to me is how youre saying the T on the valve cover is burnt up...I dont see how that could burn up (then again Im not sure how bad it is without a picture). Only way I can think of that the head got so hot that it started cooking itself is lack of oil...if thats the case, then a bad HG isnt your only problem.

Sileighty_85
01-17-2008, 08:25 AM
Oil Pump probably died

Lack of oil caused Over heating

My buddy had a similar prob with the MR2 Turbo
lost a lot of oil ran it, filled oil up heard a knock/ticking noise durring start up went away when warm 4 days later engine locked up, were pulling the engine this weekend