PDA

View Full Version : forged wheels suggestion? newb stuff

unlegendary
01-14-2008, 12:39 AM
noob stuff.

yo, this year i'm gonna invest on buying new forged light weight rims but i'm confused which company makes forged rims. The only company i know is Works, and some other companies sometimes make Cast/Forge combination or whatever "semi Forged" is.

So what do you guys suggest on a fully forged rim that is light weight and looks decent on a track whore kouki s14? price does not matter if the quality is great but a cheaper price is always cool :].

Dousan_PG
01-14-2008, 12:40 AM
RPF1 Enkie light!! and cheap!
CE28N light as well!
TE37
LMGT4

fliprayzin240sx
01-14-2008, 12:41 AM
ITs all about preference...your best bet is hit up Logan at A-Spec.

unlegendary
01-14-2008, 12:51 AM
ITs all about preference...your best bet is hit up Logan at A-Spec.

alright i'll pm him.

racepar1
01-14-2008, 12:55 AM
I would personally go with either the volk te-37's or the new volk re-30's. Enkei rpf1's would be another option that I would consider as they are a bit more affordable and just as light and strong.

ALEXTHESUS*PECT
01-14-2008, 12:55 AM
RPF1 Enkie light!! and cheap!
CE28N light as well!
TE37
LMGT4

as stated by aaron

#1 volk te37
#2 lmgt4

Koopa Troopa
01-14-2008, 03:33 AM
Everyone complains about how expensive RPF1's are yet I've boughten 2 sets of 17x9.5/10 +18 on this site in the last 4 months for some decent prices....

33 GTR wheels are forged and decently light in comparison to other wheels out there.

azndoc
01-14-2008, 04:02 AM
It really depends on your budget and your preference for wheels.

You can't go wrong with lightweight forged wheels.

My favorite has always been TE37s.

Have been for like the last 3 years. I love them.

Ian
01-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Everyone complains about how expensive RPF1's are yet I've boughten 2 sets of 17x9.5/10 +18 on this site in the last 4 months for some decent prices....

33 GTR wheels are forged and decently light in comparison to other wheels out there.

I've never seen anyone complain about RPF1 prices...they're cheaper than pretty much every forged wheel out there that you can buy new

bziggers13
01-14-2008, 10:29 AM
rpf1s are like fno1 prices now.. bit more, but looks 100x better and better sizing imo.

te37 are everyone's fave.. I think the most commonly favored wheel, but quite expensive in any decent sizing.

Quail
01-14-2008, 11:58 AM
I can vouch for R33 GTRs! What I'm running atm and I love them to pieces. Exremely light, and substaintially cheaper than other forged wheels

Koopa Troopa
01-14-2008, 12:11 PM
I've never seen anyone complain about RPF1 prices...they're cheaper than pretty much every forged wheel out there that you can buy new
There was a wheel thread not too long ago in tech and I seem to remember at least 3 different posts about RPF1's being pricey...

I can vouch for R33 GTRs! What I'm running atm and I love them to pieces. Exremely light, and substaintially cheaper than other forged wheels

I put my car into a curb at 80 some kp/h... lower arm and tie rod were both bent and not a scratch in the 33 GTR wheel...

Nissan BCNR33 wheels, bad driver proof.

Quail
01-14-2008, 12:22 PM
They felt about half the weight of my lardy SA3Rs!

LoanShark
01-14-2008, 12:35 PM
I put my car into a curb at 80 some kp/h... lower arm and tie rod were both bent and not a scratch in the 33 GTR wheel...

Nissan BCNR33 wheels, bad driver proof.

so far, its:

-Greedy oil pan, mounted on engine, dropped, still works like new, no cracks
-R33 gtr wheels, curbed, not a scratch

Koopa-Proof more parts pls. I want indestructible parts.

A Spec Products
01-14-2008, 12:57 PM
noob stuff.

yo, this year i'm gonna invest on buying new forged light weight rims but i'm confused which company makes forged rims. The only company i know is Works, and some other companies sometimes make Cast/Forge combination or whatever "semi Forged" is.

So what do you guys suggest on a fully forged rim that is light weight and looks decent on a track whore kouki s14? price does not matter if the quality is great but a cheaper price is always cool :].

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WieeirHHj4g

Work Wheels actually has no forged wheels in their current lineup.

Keep in mind that FORGED is not necessarily "BETTER" than CAST, but its a pretty lengthy, circular argument (and open to interpretation as well). Don't be a drone and just sack ride on forged, make opinions based on actual fact.

Not all of Volk Racing wheels are forged, mainly just their Monoblock wheels (TE37, CE28, RE30). That also includes the Nismo LMGT4, which they manfacture. Some of their GT series wheels have forged barrels but cast center faces. The video shown above shows Rays manufacturing process.

What you're referring to with "semi forged" is probably "semi solid forging," which is a term you've probably heard used by SSR Wheels

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/ssr/ssr_info.jsp

People have been recommending the Enkei RPF1 in this thread, which uses MAT technology, which is explained here:

http://og-made.com/archives/1681

This MAT technology used for the RPF1 is also the same technology AME Wheels uses in their wheels like the Tracer FS-01, and the TM-02 coming out

The reason the Enkei RPF1 has become so affordable is mainly due to the fact that its been out for so long, and by selling the wheel for a long period, mold costs have been paid off.

With all that being said, if you are buying track wheels, keep in mind that track usage applies much more abuse to a wheel than seen on the street.

Therefore, there are a couple criteria you should consider:

- Price
- Replaceability

The ability to replace is probably a big one that people don't always remember

If you have a set of TE37 (i.e 4 pieces), that's well and good, but what happens when you dent one (and yes, this is more than possible, hitting berms at 100+ mph)

How soon can you get a new one? 2-3 months?
How much is it gonna cost you? Another $500+ per wheel?

Track spares are always better than owning just a set of 4 pieces, so that's why depending on your budget, you might want to consider a more affordable wheel, or if you want to order expensive wheels for track, make sure you have the budget to back up replacing it

Brian
01-14-2008, 01:01 PM
This is why LOGAN is the smartest person in the entire car industry....or world.

Koopa Troopa
01-14-2008, 01:05 PM
so far, its:

-Greedy oil pan, mounted on engine, dropped, still works like new, no cracks
-R33 gtr wheels, curbed, not a scratch

Koopa-Proof more parts pls. I want indestructible parts.

Uh, Tomei cam gear bolt fell out and got caught in the timing chain... No problems...
Head is missing 3 bolts in the valve cover and no leaks,
Timing map is way the fuck off and pistons havn't melted yet
Nismo power bar was undamaged after having a front end meet and greet with a guard rail at 100 some kp/h.I can tell you what I have destroyed though...

Cusco Zero2 coilover after front end meet and greet with guard rail
Impul RS wheel after front end meet and greet.. Funny thing was it was the rear wheel that snapped...
URAS tension control rod snaped in half after curb
Tweaked RPS13 frame
Destroyed sidewall of Nitto 555
A handful of OEM tie rods, tension rods and lower arms

Shit doesn't last too long when I have it.... Other than the above mentioned crap I usually destroy everything. :goyou:

Please PM if you have anymore questions...
[/threadjack]

jbuckley
02-11-2008, 09:22 PM
enkeis rpf1 are pretty sweet , but if your looking for something you wont be afraid to demolish then id get some r33 wheels...

OptionZero
02-11-2008, 09:55 PM
why would you bump this thread for nothing?

BNR33 GTR wheels aren't "light", they're pretty heavy for a forged wheel
for the same money you could get lighter, better sized RPF1's

nevaland9
02-11-2008, 09:58 PM
logan has spoken...lock this thread now its over.

Wiisass
02-11-2008, 10:18 PM
RPF1's are cast and then post processed I guess you could say. The MAT process makes it better than a normal cast wheel, but it is still starts as a cast wheel.

Tim

drftwerks
02-11-2008, 10:35 PM
looky looky at what was just posted

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=176906

/thread

jspecusa
02-11-2008, 11:40 PM
advan, prodrive, southern way, and most of the wheels that cost 2x the price of cast wheels are forged.
not all company makes forged wheels, and not all the wheel made by one company is all forged.
it all comes down to cost and the question do you really need it?
for track I perfer Fn01rc due to being one of the most affordable and light cast wheel, very strong, and simple style.
my favorite forged wheels:
Koffice KSCE
Advan RG
Watanabe Cyclone
Prodrive GD06H
Regamaster EVO
cheers,

sam
PS. there's no such thing as cheap forged wheels so quality=$$$

yokotas13
02-11-2008, 11:44 PM
plus, most 2 piece wheels are forged lips with a cast center, so throw that shit out the window

KA24DESOneThree
02-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Lightweight, track-proven, and affordable: RPF1

Lightweight, track-proven, and forgetastic: TE37

Lighter than TE but heavier than CE: RE30

Very lightweight, track-proven, forgetastic, but a little more fragile: CE28N

I'm running a CE/TE combo on my S13. I'm upgrading to 18x10.5 RPF1s eventually because 17x9s just aren't big enough.

naed240sx
02-12-2008, 08:50 AM
RPF1's are cast and then post processed I guess you could say. The MAT process makes it better than a normal cast wheel, but it is still starts as a cast wheel.

Tim

Enkei casts the center portion as is, but the outer rim barrel is initially much narrower than the final outcome. Basically they cast the spokes, and then draw out the barrel to the desired thickness.

ZX88
02-12-2008, 09:05 AM
enkeis rpf1 in burning black or chrome i forget what it is called is win and they nicely priced as well.

OptionZero
02-12-2008, 12:08 PM
advan, prodrive, southern way, and most of the wheels that cost 2x the price of cast wheels are forged.
not all company makes forged wheels, and not all the wheel made by one company is all forged.
it all comes down to cost and the question do you really need it?
for track I perfer Fn01rc due to being one of the most affordable and light cast wheel, very strong, and simple style.
my favorite forged wheels:
Koffice KSCE
Advan RG
Watanabe Cyclone
Prodrive GD06H
Regamaster EVO
cheers,

sam
PS. there's no such thing as cheap forged wheels so quality=$$$

advan rg = forged...?

A Spec Products
02-12-2008, 12:31 PM
advan rg = forged...?

Yeah I think Sam just made a typo

Advan RG is MAT cast, not forged

But if you're a newb, you shouldn't be buying forged wheels off the bat

Start small, take your time, then work your way up and be realistic about your purchases

Slidin240Wayz
02-12-2008, 12:35 PM
work your way up and be realistic about your purchases

Start high though with a quality wheel (works, advan, enkei, etc.) preferably ordered from...

Logan@Aspecproducts.

ps I know you don't carry enkei, but it is just an example of high quality.

jspecusa
02-12-2008, 04:32 PM
advan rg = forged...?
oh my bad, I had a hyperrev that state RG1 it's forged.
and when I was at Shop call Hasegawa I pick up a 17x9.5 RG1 and it was light as the TE37 that's why in my mind it's always been a good light weight forged wheel.
the RG2 is much much heavier then the RG1 and not as nice looking as well.
yes it is casted just like the RPF1.
regardless I would pick up a 18x9.5 RG1 if I can find a set.
cheers,

sam

fliprayzin240sx
02-12-2008, 09:13 PM
I think you should just buy these and be done with it... (http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=176551)

Sorry for the shameless plug...but I might as well make my 5,000th post worth something for me!!!

Kougeki
02-12-2008, 09:27 PM
You want light?!
YOU WANT LIGHT?!
Look up the Volk RE30's,
tha's some straight up gangsta shizznit.