PDA

View Full Version : Stalling & Rough Idle = Dead IACV

Pitchblack98
01-11-2008, 11:58 AM
I've been having some issue for a few months now and have been searching and reading thru countless numbers of threads. I know there are a lot of IACV threads and I believe I have probably read every single one of them. So don't give me a hard time for starting another one. :ugh:

I have an automatic 95 S14 with 162k miles that is basically stock aside from some suspension and stereo upgrades. It has a hard time starting in the morning and a jumpy idle while stopped. It will usually start right up like normal, but immediatly stall. Then it is very hard to get it to restart again. Also when it does idle steady it seems to idle around 400 to 500 rpms or so. I have replaced the fuel filter, alternator, and done a complete tune up.

I have never had a CEL for anything other than the knock sensor and TPS when it came unplugged. Last weekend I broke out the FSM to check the IACV. My results were a little confusing to me...

I had 12v on pin E of the EFI connector specified in the FSM, which is good. I didnt check for continuity between the ECU and the connector or check the resistance at the valve cause I didn't have time to do those. So I moved on the next step to check for 12v on pin A for 5 seconds after the ignition is turned on. When I checked this I got 12v, but only for about 1 to 2 seconds at most. I'm not sure if this could be my problem...

After that I tried running 12v directly to the IACV-FICD solenoid to see if I would get a clicking sound per the FSM. After a few tries I didn't hear any clicking. So I assume this solenoid is possibly stuck or dead. That pretty much ended my night of troubleshooting.

To make things more interesting I now have a CEL after doing those checks. I haven't had time to pull the ecu down to check the CEL, but I imagine its from unplugging things and switching the ignition on and off. I plan to check that tonight if I get home early enough or tomorrow if its not snowing. Its too damn cold to work on anything out here right now. This sucks...

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions... I thought about getting some throttle body cleaner and running it thru to see if it will free it up if it happens to be stuck. It sounds to me like it might have to be replaced. I really dont want to pull the intake manifold apart to get at it. If that's the case it will have to wait until spring.

EAT Motorsports
01-11-2008, 12:38 PM
check for vacuum leaks if you didn't already... you will probably need to end up pulling off it off to alteast inspect it closer.

idlafie
01-13-2008, 01:03 AM
Don't mean to change the subject here, but have you tested your Mass Airflow Sensor?? It's right by the stock airbox & meters the air going into your intake. Buddy of mine had a problem similar to yours. His car would die after starting, stall at stopsigns & streetlights and had a funny idle. My buddy's car drove me nuts for a few weeks as I tried to troubleshoot & fix the problem. I cleaned, tested & swapped several components on his motor as I worked on it. I finally ended up swapping out his MAF with a spare I had sitting in the garage. After replacing his MAF I repaired his idle & stalling problems once & for all. His car runs fine now. He had about the same mileage as you.
Couldn't hurt.....
ID