PDA

View Full Version : Crazy KA - fuel maybe?

rocksteady_racer
01-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Ok here's the symptoms. It shakes at idle and settles out around 3k. However when you get closer to redline excess fuel will burn off and grey smoke will come out the back. Any ideas what this is? My mechanic said it's running really rich but he has no idea what it could be. Is there a trick to checking the injectors or something? Thanks in advance. by the way this is a ka24e. I got a new O2 sensor I'm going to put on - think that will fix the problem?

JVD
01-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Unplug injectors one at a time to see if the idle changes. That's the trick you're talking about. No idea what your problem is though. Sorry.

bziggers13
01-10-2008, 04:25 PM
grey smoke? white?
iirc... white coolant
black fuel
blue oil

replace o2 sensor and do a leakdown test follwed by a gen. maintenance

I'm sure others can give more insight!

rocksteady_racer
01-10-2008, 05:27 PM
It's smell likes fuel but it's whitish. Confusing... More confusing: I unplugged the injectors in order while it was shaking violently. What was weird was the only one that didn't stabilize the motor out was the last injector towards the front of the motor. When I unplugged the first spark plug the motor stopped shaking (most stable). I unplugged the second one and the motor stabilized(wasn't rocking as hard but not as good as the first one). Then I unplugged the third one same thing as the second. The fourth plug did nothing to make the motor stable. So I assume it's a problem with the first 3 cylinders? All those injectors can't be bad right? I just bought them so I hope not - maybe they aren't stock hmmm?

rocksteady_racer
01-10-2008, 05:29 PM
and how do you do a leakdown test?

swanosaurusrex
01-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Sounds like its more of a spark problem to me, try replacing all spark plugs, and wires.

that would also explain why its running rich, and the fuel smell, the white smoke still confuses me though.

hope i was of some help

rocksteady_racer
01-10-2008, 05:33 PM
I just put those on like 2000 miles ago unless they fouled up maybe? I'll try that. Could be timing but I can't get the screws off the distributor :-\ LoL Damn ka24e. my ka24de isn't this cranky. The timing isn't likely though because it was running fine earlier before I put the injectors on. I'll try the O2 sensor and plugs see if that fixes it. No idea what else it could be- really weird...

swanosaurusrex
01-10-2008, 05:36 PM
you never know it could be those plugs, weirder things have happened to people.

but i'd say that the plugs and O2 sensor would be a good start

rocksteady_racer
01-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Yea I'll try plugs and the o2 sensor and check the fuel pressure tomorrow and keep you guys posted thanks for the advice. Any one have a similiar problem would be awesome Lol.

thedecapitator
01-10-2008, 05:47 PM
i also have the similar problem as your car i tried the CAS, TPS, and checking the coils but theyre good so im kinda lost i havent tried the 02 sensor though let us know how it went ive been tryin to figure out my problem for a while now

rocksteady_racer
01-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Swapped spark plugs and wires. No luck :-\

rocksteady_racer
01-10-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm trying the O2 sensor tomorrow. I'm getting my alignment done too so if that doesn't work I'll have R&S Strauss look at it.

rocksteady_racer
01-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Well I took it to R&S Strauss because I gave up on it. The O2 Sensor was in two pieces so they replaced that and one of the injectors wasn't firing so they replaced now it runs pretty good. I think it's still trying to tune itself off the O2 sensor cause it's stuttering just a little but it's way smoother than it was.