PDA

View Full Version : Hi-beams

turboKA
01-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Hello, ever since my girlfriend got her 240sx, her hi-beams never worked. When you flicked them on, the lights would just turn off. The regular beams work fine. I opened up the relay box and tried changing out one of the relays, and the hi-beams still wouldn't turn on.

tt99ol
01-09-2008, 05:42 PM
is it an s13 or an s14

johngriff
01-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Did you check the fuses?

cotbu
01-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Burnt hi beam filament or there's just single filament bulbs in there. Assuming s13 with pop ups, check the bulbs. If it is a fuse we gotten nowhere and it getting old.

turboKA
01-09-2008, 06:09 PM
sorry guys, its a s13. I replaced one of the headlights with a brand new one, since the bulbs alone are not interchangeable. Fuses are good, ill check wires again. Let me know if you guys think of anything else. Thanks!

sleepy_s13
01-09-2008, 06:48 PM
my friend was having that problem. He changed out the actual headlight switch and it fixed it.

ZX88
01-09-2008, 07:16 PM
if its only the high beams check the combination switch i had a problem with my passenger side high beam try cleaning the combination switch if thats not the problem it might be a fuse.

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=145000&highlight=combination+switch+fix

im pretty sure its the same for s13 and s14s and if its not a fuse and you cant fix the switch replace it.

ma71supraturbo
01-18-2008, 06:59 PM
I have the same problem (both hibeams don't work on S13, regular beams work fine), I'll try this tomorrow thanks!

g6civcx
01-19-2008, 07:20 AM
sorry guys, its a s13. I replaced one of the headlights with a brand new one, since the bulbs alone are not interchangeable. Fuses are good, ill check wires again. Let me know if you guys think of anything else. Thanks!

Read FSM.

Remedial info - S13s do not use relays to control power to the headlights. The relays are used to control the retractor motor.

Battery-Green Fusible Link - 2 15A fuses, each for L/R - combo light switch - 4 wires (L lo, L hi, R lo, R hi)

Both the low beam and high beam use the same fuses. The only difference is that they branch out into their own wires at the light switch.

Low beams work which tells me that everything up to the light switch low beam pins work.

Learn how to use a multimeter.

Disconnect the battery. Remove lower steering column cover. Unplug the light switch harness. Probe pins 8/9 and 5/6. Read FSM to see where they are. With the switch off, there should be no continuity between those pairs of pins.

Turn to high beam. There should be continuity between the pairs.

If not, clean the switch or get a new one.

If there is continuity but the bulbs don't light up then check the wiring in the left fender. Then check the bulbs themselves. Finally check ground. It has to be one of those things.

2 minute diagnosis.