PDA

View Full Version : help...over heating ka24de

hibidiwho
01-08-2008, 12:06 AM
so one day going to work my car started to over heat while i had the ac on...blah blah got to the shop parked it thinking it was fine and it was just running hot due to the bad traffic i was in + the ac running...so i went to get lunch and it started over heating again...luckily the place i went was few blocks away so i changed thermostat and water pump car still over heats no milk in the oil no smoke or anything from my exhaust so im thinking blown HG but no milk in the oil or no smoke or anything and the car always starts first crank i always drive it around the block to see if its gonna crap out on me still no milk or smoke been like a week already any other ideas on why my car is over heating...i have the stock fan shroud and fan a brand new radiator water pump thermostat no coolent leaks whats so ever that i noticed ...only thing left to do is a compression test or a pressure test on my radiator besides those are there any other things i can do to figure out the problem faster?thanks in advance BTW car starts to over heat about 10mins after start up and the temp goes up slow it doesnt jump up one time

nissanguy13
01-08-2008, 12:12 AM
did you flush the engine when you put the new radiator, pump and thermostat in? You could have clogged lines or a clog internally. Even though you have those new parts it wouldn't make a difference if that's the problem, or it could break up into your new radiator/thermostat etc.

Did you unscrew the bleeder and get all the air out of the lines when you replaced each part? Did you put on a new radiator cap too? If not it could be that.

Are your fans working properly? If it was a blown head gasket you would know.

240trooper
01-08-2008, 12:23 AM
check ur heatercore,and flush ur coolant, i blew an 'de' from a fukd up heatercore hose lol toasted everything , im having overheating problems with my othercar , since i took off the carb and replaced a fuelpump donno what it it, im allmost 98% sure its my head gasket cuz my coolants all nasty now lol but really i dont care wen i drive fast like over 45mph it coolsdown but going up hills or traffic it heats up o well it just a hyundai

nissanguy13
01-08-2008, 12:33 AM
check ur heatercore,and flush ur coolant, i blew an 'de' from a fukd up heatercore hose lol toasted everything , im having overheating problems with my othercar , since i took off the carb and replaced a fuelpump donno what it it, im allmost 98% sure its my head gasket cuz my coolants all nasty now lol but really i dont care wen i drive fast like over 45mph it coolsdown but going up hills or traffic it heats up o well it just a hyundai

Wow the blind leading the blind:keke:

MadMaverick
01-08-2008, 10:59 AM
You have an air pocket in the head. KA's are notorious for this. These motors hate to burp when the system in being bled. Go to autozone and get a coolant flush funnel (it will attach to the top of the radiator). Attach the funnel, and put a little water in there (like a cup or so). Then start the car and let it idle at operating temp for awhile occationally cracking the bleeder on the intake mani (being careful not to fully unscrew this and loose the little copper ring/bleeder screw). Eventually you will see some bubbles coming out of the funnel or the bleeder. I have had to jack the front end up on some KA's to get the air to the front of the head.

Note: If the coolant starts bubbling out of the funnel, shut down the car for a few seconds. This means the coolant is boiling in the block (not under pressure = boiling point is lower).

The other thing you can do is find a shop that has a coolant flush machine. We use one at my shop and it rules. The machine uses shop air to put the cooling system under vacuum which sucks the air right out. 5 minute flush and ive NEVER overheated since even at the track (with a stock radiator no less).

womenbeshoppin
01-08-2008, 11:12 AM
u might want to check your rad cap, i had the same problem as you and thats what it ended up being. also make sure you bleed it good. bleed for 5 minutes, drive/ bleed/drive.

1stnissan
01-09-2008, 05:27 PM
I would like some input as well, my 96 KA today ran a little hot for the first time I've owned it. I would stop at a light and it got hot, but as I drove, it cooled slightly. Then it got hot again so I stopped off for a little while for it to cool. There is no leaking at all under the car, hoses etc. The radiator and reservoir are topped off, the fan is moving well. The top hose was hard and very hot. So I bought a new thermostat incase (I have yet to install it). But when I drove it home after all that the temp was fine. I wonder if could be a bad thermostat. I'm sure it's been years since it had been replaced last time. I hope it is just a bad thermostat.

Kougeki
01-09-2008, 05:39 PM
First, hahaha, make sure you HAVE coolant. I ruined and engine by overlooking this. If you do have an air pocket, run the engine at 2000 RPM w/ the radiator cap off until the coolant starts to circulate. Easiest wat to get rid of pockets of air.

Edit: Keep topping off the coolant as it settles down. Check it the next day if you need more.

Timeattack
01-09-2008, 05:42 PM
You have an air pocket in the head. KA's are notorious for this. These motors hate to burp when the system in being bled. Go to autozone and get a coolant flush funnel (it will attach to the top of the radiator). Attach the funnel, and put a little water in there (like a cup or so). Then start the car and let it idle at operating temp for awhile occationally cracking the bleeder on the intake mani (being careful not to fully unscrew this and loose the little copper ring/bleeder screw). Eventually you will see some bubbles coming out of the funnel or the bleeder. I have had to jack the front end up on some KA's to get the air to the front of the head.

Note: If the coolant starts bubbling out of the funnel, shut down the car for a few seconds. This means the coolant is boiling in the block (not under pressure = boiling point is lower).

The other thing you can do is find a shop that has a coolant flush machine. We use one at my shop and it rules. The machine uses shop air to put the cooling system under vacuum which sucks the air right out. 5 minute flush and ive NEVER overheated since even at the track (with a stock radiator no less).
I second this:aw:

240XTC
01-09-2008, 05:47 PM
^^^Before installing the thermostat make sure to test it. I usually grab a cup of water and nuke it to the proper temp....from there ill see if the hot water opens up the thermo. I had two occasions where they did not open, these were new inbox from autozone. Something minor to save you a lot of headache...good luck

nissanguy13
01-09-2008, 11:23 PM
I would like some input as well, my 96 KA today ran a little hot for the first time I've owned it. I would stop at a light and it got hot, but as I drove, it cooled slightly. Then it got hot again so I stopped off for a little while for it to cool. There is no leaking at all under the car, hoses etc. The radiator and reservoir are topped off, the fan is moving well. The top hose was hard and very hot. So I bought a new thermostat incase (I have yet to install it). But when I drove it home after all that the temp was fine. I wonder if could be a bad thermostat. I'm sure it's been years since it had been replaced last time. I hope it is just a bad thermostat.

Read post #2 and #5 it pretty much covers the basics. I don't think it could be any clearer about what could cause over heating.

super240sx7185
01-10-2008, 01:05 AM
Make sure u get a oem nissan thermostat every one i got from autozone failed or didn't work right.

MA JasonG
01-10-2008, 01:15 AM
May want to look into getting one of these. Its cheap and im sure will help fix your problem if you have an air pocket. Basically what was stated before.
http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-22150-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B0002SR6WK